Do Banks Check Credit Before Giving You an Account?

My friend says she was turned down by the bank to be added to her new husbands checking account because she had bad credit(from several years before). I guess she had a judgement against her and they said she couldn't be on his checking account. I didn't know banks checked your credit in order to open an account. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

She can also try a bank with second chance banking until she can clear up the problem(ex. WoodForest Bank in the Woodriver Il, Walmart).

anymore that doesnt suprise me, but ive never heard of it before. The closest was when my husand moved back here a bank told him he couldnt open an account until he paid them like .27c leftover from a service charge he owed in college. lol we thought it was kind of funny but paid them their change and went to a different bank

It really depends on what kind of account it is. i still have my student checking account from high school (I'm almost 25 now) so I never needed a credit check to start it, just 'parental authorization' to start it. But depending on the bank & the type of account is what would determine the need of a credit check or not. Also check to see which banks require what to get a joint account so you can get around the issue.

I work at Bank of the West and the only thing that would keep someone from opening an account would be if they are on ChexSystems. It is a bank service that basically tells us if they have been charged off or closed for cause at another bank. We do run a 'pre-screen' that allows us to pre-approve for our overdraft protection or credit card. It does not ding the credit report and we do not see a score. Thanks!

I don't know if they check credit but I tried putting my husband, boyfriend at the time, on my checking account and they said we had to wait like a month to do it because he ownes another bank some over draft fees and in there rules it had to be like 1yr or so (I can't remember the exact time)before he could open or be on someones checking account. So maybe she owns another bank over draft fees. Hope this helps!

Good Morning M.. Yea they seem to do that. Our youngest son and daughter in law went through some kind of financial problems several years ago. Even through they took care of it in time. They now have not been able to find a bank willing to allow them to open an account. Only way he can cash his payroll check is by going to the bank they once did business with, because they know him there. They pay all their bills with cash, I get them a Cashiers check for their Rent.

It is a pain and one that should be rectified after a few years.
Sorry for your friend but it's a good thing her hubby has good credit. He could get 2 debit cards with the same Pins and give one to her if need be I think.

Good Luck to them.
K. Nana of 5

I don't know of any banks that check your credit. They will check companies like: telecheck and chex systems. This is when you have written a bad check and have not paid it off. The bank should have given her a number to call, if she calls that number they can tell her why they have her in their system.
Usually you remain in the system for 5 to 7 years, and your name will "fall off" even if you don't pay.

It also could be an error, if a cashier misentered a driver's license number when someone paid pay by check, and that check comes back bad, it flags that driver's license number. It's happened to me before and very easy to clear up.

There are some Second Chance Banking. I know my bank does: Bank Midwest. The ones usually in the Wal-Marts doe that and they will open an account with a $1.00. I have been extremely pleased with them.

i don't know what "kind" of check they do, but i do know that in the past i have been turned down because of a bad situation with a previous bank account. i think it's not an actual credit check, but this one bank knew i had a bad record with another bank. i ended up going to a credit union and it was the best choice i could have made. a lot of credit unions now don't have requirements like they used to (working for the government, etc), so they're easier to get an account with. AND they have much better service, i feel, and better hours. just a thought!

1 / 3