Do Any of You Only Have One Ovary?

When I had my 17 1/2 month old baby girl via cesarean in October 07 my doctor told me he found a cyst on my left ovary. He said he tried to remove it, but it was too big and the only way to remove the cyst would be to remove my ovary. Mind you I was laying on the operating table waiting to be sewn back together when this was going on. My husband had gone with our new baby girl to checked over etc and the doctor asked me if he had my permission to remove my ovary. I asked him if i would still be able to have children and he said "Yes, your other ovary is perfectly healthly." I told him to go ahead and remove it instead of me having to go back another time to have it removed later on. Now, almost 1 1/2 yrs later we are discussing trying for another baby once our little girl is potty trained. It took us 6 months to get pregnant with our baby girl with two ovaries. I am just wondering if any other Mom's out there are in there mid to late 30's with one ovary and trying to conceive or have successfully conceived. If so did it take longer then when you had both working ovaries? I have also read several different things about the one ovary that is left. Some people say that the one ovary takes over for the now missing one and does double the work. My husband (who is very intelligent when it comes to book smarts) said that with one ovary you only ovulate every other month, but still have a period. In my opinion that means it would take twice as long to get pregnant again with one ovary. If any of you have information from your doctor, not just opinions or "Well my cousin had a baby with only one ovary" type answer or "I wouldn't be here today if it was't possible" etc. If you have had an ovary removed after having a baby and gotten pregnant again please help me out here. The fact that I am quickly reaching 35 yrs old is making me nervous too. I know from doing my own research that once a woman reaches 35 her chances almost double (more if twins or multiples or any kind are in the family) of having twins and it goes up the older you get. I am very nervous and worried about these issues. Please give me some advice.

Hi D., I have no ovaries and I am 47. Let me give you my story. I was pregnant with my first and had a cyst on one of my ovaries, They took the ovary when I had my first as he was c section. The cyst had grown to the size of an orange. the Dr thought I got pregnant on the other ovary anyhow and didn't think I'd have a problem. Well, she was right. I got pregnant 10 months after I had my first child and then again with a third child a couple of years later. I got my tubes tied after the third child but later had to have a hysterectomy as I ended up getting a cyst on the other ovary. All were benign. Good luck! E. mom of three ages 22,21, and 19.

D.,

I've only had one ovary for years and it hasn't been a problem. I never miss a period and I got pregnant very easily a number of times with out any delays. I have had a number of miscarriages but that hasn't been due to only having one ovary, rather my age. I have a 4 year old that I gave birth to at 35 and my miscarriages started after that...don't wait too long to start trying, age can really change things! My fingers are crossed once again because I am 11 weeks along...

Hello

guest what miracle can happened..remember your first miracle happened now try for the second one

best regads

Call your doctor. That's it. You yourself wrote, "If any of you have information from your doctor, not just opinions or "Well my cousin had a baby with only one ovary" type answer or "I wouldn't be here today if it was't possible" etc."
Why ask a bunch of women for advice when you can call a professional?

Hi D.,
Well, I'm now an 'old' Grammy of 57, but after my first baby girl was born, I had an ectopic pregnancy when she was 9 mos old. The fetus had attached to my fallopian tube and it ruptured... very very scary thing to happen. The surgery left me with one fallopian tube, although I still have two ovaries. I thought it would take me forever to get pregnant with child #2, so as soon as I recovered from the ectopic we started to try. Low and behold, three mos. later I was pregnant with my son. They two are 22 mos apart, now ages 31 and 29. Oh, I had a third 4 yrs later, a wonderful daughter to make three.... so keep good heart, have fun, and enjoy your family..it'll grow.

Okay, so not quite the same situation but.... I had one ovary removed just after graduating from college, before having any children, because of a large dermoid cyst causing a torque in the ovary.... very painful.... but anyway, it ended up being removed. Fast forward about 8 years, I'm having trouble getting pregnant and diagnosed with PCOS -- polycystic ovary syndrome -- 2 years of fertility treatments resulted in my first pregnancy. This was due to the PCOS and not due to the fact that I have only one ovary. I wasn't ovulating at all at the time. Right after my son was born, my first marriage fell apart and I got divorced. 2 years later I was with an absolutely wonderful man (my husband) and we started trying to have a baby, figuring it would take a long time if it every happened, given that I was unwilling to do ivf again. We conceived the first full cycle we were trying. 3 1/2 years later, we again conceived after trying for only about 6 weeks, and our son was born just 11 weeks ago. I am now 37. So, fertility does not necessarily decrease with age, and having one ovary does not make it any harder to get pregnant if there's nothing else going on. Normally, the ovaries do not actually alternate -- As I understnad it (and this is going from an anatomy and physiology class taken years ago) during the menstrual cycle, several eggs start to mature, in both ovaries. The first egg to be ready for ovulation is released, regardless of which ovary it is in and whether that was the ovary to ovulate last cycle. So, yes, the one left does completely take over, and you ovulate just as often as you did before.

Good luck. If you want to talk about it further, drop me an email.

Hi D. I have an amazing story for you when i had 2 ovaries it took me 3 years to get pregnant after my dr decided to put me on clomid once I started the clomid I got pregnant with twins a few months later! A year after that it wound up I got pregnant and had no clue and when i did find out I was already 11 weeks pregnant and it was ectopic and I had to have emergency surgery due to the fact that my Fallopian tube and ovary had ruptured so they removed them! My dr told me there was no chance I would be able to concieve another child especially on my own without the clomid and I was a little upset but greatful to God because he had given me twins the prior year and I had a boy and girl and was content. So I went on thinking that's it i have my babies and that's all I will have well to everyone's surprise especially my drs and myself a year to the day after my
Ovary and tube removal I was pregnant everyone was amazed how could it be being it took so long for me to get pregnant with the twins and now with one ovary and tube here I am pregnant again so I called the baby my little miracle and when she was born I named her Angelique because she was my little miracle sent from above! So it can happen dont lose faith! Good luck to you! Hope this lifts your spirits in sight of having another baby

Yes I have one ovary. I am 32 years old and 11 weeks pregnant now. I have my ovary removed last January due to ovarian cancer. It didn't take me twice as long to get pregnant as I was on birth control and used an antibiotic next thing you know I was pregnant.

Your research on being over 35 and it increasing your change for twins or multiples is surprising. I would think it is because they are using IVF because your chances of getting pregnant go down as you age.

Just a note about one or two ovaries. Even with two ovaries, we weren't able to have a second child, so it really depends on the health of what you have, regardless of number.

We had our only child when I was 36, almost 37. We had twins everywhere on both sides of our families (12-13 sets of them in just 2-3 generations!), but we just had the one. It took us about 9 months to conceive with two ovaries, but were not able to have another one. So, you never know.

After years of issues with cysts and ultimately an abscess, I finally had the right ovary and fallopian tube removed last summer at age 49. I still have periods every month. They were a little funky (spotty) at first, but now, they're regular again. I've been told by my doctor as well that the existing ovary will eventually take over the duties of both of them.

If I remember my biology correctly...a big IF...the ovulation and fluctuation of hormones is what causes the period in the first place. So, I believe the theory that your one ovary is doing the work of two makes sense to me.

P.S. Sorry, gotta tell the story...My mom's mom had two healthy kids in her mid to late 40s...no twins...no problems. My grandparents were born in the 1880s! And I know someone whose first child had downs syndrome when she was just in her late 20s or early 30s and the second one was fine. So, you never know. Every conception and birth is individual.

Sorry I probably wasn't all that much help, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I have no stories for you but I would like to make a suggestion. You can easily find out what is going on with your ovulation by charting your fertility signs. It is a great way to know what to expect when trying to conceive. There is a book out there, not sure who the author is, but it is called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" and I have heard great things about it. I will tell you that I have other health issues that affect my fertility and it is helpful to chart and know what is going on. Best of luck to you!

1 / 3