Do All Parents Use Bribery?

Because if they dont, they really should try it LOL. My 2 year old daughter has just started acting out a bit - I think she senses that things are changing with her sister due any day now. She has been awesome over the last few days now but the days before that she was impossible to reason or work with. EVERYTHING was a fight. We are extremely fortunate (Knock on wood) to have an awesome sleeper and eater but she was testing us on everything so we started with the bribes. Does that work or what? Kids have the best memories too so she was always on the ball with reminding me about it. I had to bribe her with a special treat for pretty much every meal for a day or two, Ex: Eat your dinner and you can have this sucker! Bam dinner was gone faster than I could eat it or when she would fighht me for nap time I just said as soon as you get up you can have a few chocolate chips and she was asleep before I could even leave the room
I dont know if the novelty of bribes will wear off but I certainly hope not because it has made life so much more peaceful around here
What about you Mommas, Do you use bribe sto get your kids to listen?

Kristin - I totally agree with you on the positive attention as well and we praise her for her great attitude and helpfulness all the time. She has actually started to respond kindly to us just saying thank you so much for not fighting with us and just eating your dinner.
I definitely dont offer up rewards and treats for her picking up her toys or brushing her teeth or anything like that its just been the last week or so that she will fight us at pretty much every meal and I dont see an issue with offering her a special treat if it will get her to eat her healthy dinner, with a smile on her face non the less =)

I would use in moderation. Upon occasion they are a useful tool...but misuse will simply lead to bigger problems!!

If you are only using bribery, the benefits will be short-lived. However, if you couple the bribes with lots of attention and much praise for the appropriate behavior, you can eventually drop the bribes (aka tangible rewards). Continue on with the social benefits/praise even after you drop the bribes, because this is really what they want/need.

I used it and thought I was so clever - till the little terrorists turned the tables on me. I would say - if you eat 5 bites of this, then you can have a 3 vanilla wafers. If you pick up all the toys in your room, you can watch 30 minutes of tv. etc etc.
Then one day, I told my little girl to do something and she came back with ..."then what?" I said "what do you mean, then what?" she said "then what will you give me?" Oh, I was so mad, but had to realize, I set this little extortion plan in motion. Now, I offer rewards so much as consequences.

Its called negotiation. It'll prove useful in all areas of their lives if they master it.

Not a fan, especially by using food. Maybe you can talk to her about her sibling anxiety?

Short term, sure. But don't be surprised if you are still doing this in 3 months, and her demands are more adamant, and move beyond a simple sucker. I tend to think frequent bribing of a child, results in a spoiled and demanding child. So, no...I have never bribed my son. Do you want her to need something, in order to consider listening to you? I feel like that's what it accomplishes.

nope, I'm old fashioned and mean I guess. I expect my kids to do what is asked, period, end of story. We are a family and we all of obligations to ourselves and each other, even at age 2. With 5 kids I can't play let's make a deal every time we need to eat a meal or leave the house, it wouldn't work. I do my best to treat my kids with respect because as people, they deserve that, but they learned early on (without spanking) that things go much smoother when we work as a team and all do our part.

Bribes when spoken thru gritted teeth are scary.
"If you really want to go get ice cream later, STOP CRYING"
"If you want to live another day, stop hitting your brother"
But of course that is when they are much older and have been acting like crazy monkeys.
Also don't expect the same bribery to work on the 2nd one. They older one schools the younger one, "watch what happens when i say this to momma: Mooooommmmm can I have a lollipop if I finish my dinner." The younger one, "I want a lollipop". Mom: after you eat. "I'm not hungry, I want a lollipop............IIIIIIIIIIIIII WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT AAAAAAAAAAAA LOLLIPOP. Mom; why did that happen??
hehehe have fun!!!
Blessings

Bribery = rewards = works like magic in our home.

Use as often as possible.

This morning I made steel cut oatmeal, using a leftover fruit smoothy I made that I couldn't stand, and did not want to waste, so turned it into oatmeal, with cranberries and peanut butter and brown sugar and cinnnmon....then my kids had to have 1/4 cup of my 'goop' and if they did they could have a bowl of Fruit Loops. Works every time.

1 / 3