Do 5 Year Old Boys Have Growing Pains in Legs?

Hi Moms-
I have a handsome 5 year old son that has been complaining of his calves hurting. My mother & I thought they were growing pains as he has not had any serious accidents. He plays baseball and is quite active.. What do think? Do boys get growing pains in legs?

Oh yes! My five year old has had them for a while and my 7 year old still gets them sometimes. Try Hylands Calms Forte 4 kids and a heating pad you may even need to rub them. Good Luck!

http://hylands.com/products/calms4kids.php

I have a 12 year old son and a 7 year old son and both have complained of "growing pains" in their legs at different stages of their growth. It has come and gone since around 4 or 5 years old. Its never very bad, but whenever it happens I get them a good quality calcium/magnesium supplement from the health food store (there are some that cannot easily be absorbed by the body) and give them epsom salt baths and they move through it till the next time. The 12 year old still gets them sometimes. I call them growing pains but it may technically be something else?? Good luck!

Hello
thats a good question. My son who is 7yrs old is active and plays baseball as well. Just yesterday he was complaining about his calves hurting too. I told him is because of all the practices and games and exercise he's doing is causing the problem so i just massage them. I really don't know but, i hope this helps. If you find out something different please let me know and good luck.
Nessa

All kids get these growing pains and for many years. My daughter still gets them and she is 14. They will bring her to tears.

Dear T.,
I think ALL children get pains in their legs as they grow.
I remember being very young and hurting so badly at night that I just cried and cried. It really scared me. My mom thought I was full of it, but my dad sat at the edge of my bed and rubbed my legs for me and told me I was okay...it just meant I was growing and maybe I played too hard that day. He stayed with me until I fell asleep.
I did the same thing for my children, a girl and a boy.
When they told me their legs ached, I believed them. It really does hurt, but they are both perfectly fine.
I have a friend who raced her son to the ER everytime he complained of his legs hurting and many x-rays and hospital bills later, there was no diagnosable malady.
Give ibuprofin, massage....
If it becomes a persistant problem, if your son is spiking a high fever or you notice a rash on his body while he's having the pains, you definitely should have him checked out. But yes, "growing pains" are real.
Best of wishes!

I agree that growing pains are possible and common. Have you noticed that he's experienced another growth spurt? Another great thing to check is to make sure he's walking heel to toe. That's the best way to keep that calf stretched. Some kids start walking this way so late, that is can shorten that muscle and encourage problems. Help him stretch by taking walks (correctly) and warm baths at night. Good luck!

I had growing pains when I was 5 so I think its possible.
But, I'd also mae sure he's stretching before sports and drinking enough fluids as I believe that dehydration can cause leg cramps.

My son had the same pains when he was little (he is now 16). It is most likely growing pains but if you are worried, call his doctor and ask him/her. My son usually got these when he was going through a growth spurt and that usually happened in the summertime.

1 / 3