DIY Wedding

Hi ladies!
Ive been with my SO for two years and we already have a daughter, we decided to finally have a wedding on october or november, we want a wedding on a budget and I decided to do a DIY wedding, my family is probably helping me with the catering, we also dont want a big wedding (since we have a low budget). Any advices from you ladies about decoration, good photographers, cake, venue..Thanks a lot :D

I had a friend who made centerpieces out of pumpkins for a fall wedding, which was fun. and cute. you could decorate with flowers or paint on them.

I would also suggest craigs list if you dont mind a used wedding dress. I've seen great ones on their much cheaper than a store.

And for bridesmaid's dresses, I suggest shopping the prom/homecoming dress area right after prom when they're all on sale.

Consider the Little Chapel and Hubbard Hall! They have a very affordable wedding package. http://www.twu.edu/conference-services/

My husband and I got married around Christmas. We purposely chose a location that was already partially decorated. The room had the white lights, a HUGE Christmas Tree, poinsettias, etc. This really saved us some money in decorations. In our centerpieces we actually used ornaments in a tall glass cylinder. This helped to take up some room so that we did not have to use so many flowers. We also got married on a Sunday and that saved us money. For our cake, we did not go with the trendy fondant cakes that are so popular these days. We went with an old school wedding cake and our florist put fresh flowers on the top. It tasted fantastic and did not cost a fortune! My bouquet was all red roses wrapped in ribbon. My bridesmaids had the same but smaller. We had an open bar but only offered beer and wine. As for the photographer - I agree with Dori - spend your money there. You want a good one. That day is over in a flash and you will want to look back on those amazing memories! Good luck and congratulation's!

I did my wedding myself. Well, not totally by myself..I had a LOT of help! My cousin did my centerpieces, we went to Hobby Lobby when they had their flowers on sale and bought a ton. I got the vases there too. We got the ones that are called "project vases" They're shaped bigger at the bottom and have a lip on them. We bought lots of colored stones (also on sale) for the bottom. My husband insisted that each vase have a beta fish in it too. I found a place that gave them to me for $1.00 each.
I did a TON of research and found a florist that did my bouquets for dirt cheap. My cake was made by a family friend. All of our food came from Gordons Food Service (kind of like a Costco). We did sandwiches, scalloped potatoes, wings, pasta salad, potato salad, chips, dip, veggies, etc. Just keep it simple! My advice is to cut out pictures of what you want and don't be afraid to deviate a little. Also, research is key. You'll want to call a lot of different places before you decide on a florist or a bakery.
Is there a place around you that offers cake decorating classes? If so, contact the instructor and see if they know of any students that would want to do your cake.
Other than that, make sure you shop sales. Start buying things NOW so that it's not such a hit to the wallet come wedding time.

cheap, easy and very elegant looking decorations are: netting wrapped loosely around white christmas lights, draped and/or arranged around. A bunch of votive cups with tea lights in other places. Don't put the candles near the netting, of course! I have a good friend who does photography, and if you pm me, I'd be happy to put you in touch with her. Her business fb is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Memories-of-Life-Photography/ go there and check out her wedding pics.

I had a DIY wedding, although I didn't even think to call it that. LOL. My suggestions would be to find a photographer that is digital, usually the cost is lower. Some people say the prints aren't as nice but they totally are. As far as cake, we wasted money on ours. I really, really wanted cupcakes but my mom refused. My idea was to have cupcakes and just a small two person cake on top (for the photo op), but my mom ended up paying 500 bucks for a cake that came out crooked (although no one noticed but me). I would have been just as happy going to a grocery store and ordering a sheet cake from there, and getting a fancy cake from a bakery (sheet cake for the guests and fancy cake for photo op). We had an asian themed wedding. Most of our decorations came out of oriental trading. Chinese lanterns strung up on twine. We ordered all the favors from there as well (mini take out boxes with candy in them). We had a friend give us bamboo in bulk so we used that as our centerpieces (we also threw in goldfishes in the vases and it came out really nice...most of the guests walked away with one). I wanted to have chinese food, but the venue wouldn't allow it and we had to use their caterer. We got married at The Residence Inn/Mariott, they had a huge ballroom that accomodated our 75+ guests, and the ceremony was supposed to take place outside (but it rained so it was all in one room). We looked at a ton of venues though, wine vineyards, japanese gardens, historical houses, halls, old movie theaters, local parks that have privacy spots, you just have to get creative. Also saturday's are the most expensive day. We saved a few grand by having our wedding on a friday night. I loved planning my wedding, it was fun finding all the vendors and venue. Congrats on the wedding! Have fun!

my wedding cost less than $500 total. We got married at the courthouse but then had a big reception. if you have an outdoor wedding you can book a shelter in a state park for $40 dollars (for all day but generally you want to have the reception during the day if you choose that because most shelters dont have electricity) my dress was a white prom dress and cost me $60 at debs. our local church gave us extra tables and chairs for free for the day.

Just a note about using real flowers on your cake-you will need to wrap the stems in saran wraps or press n seal. The flowers are treated with all kinds of chemicals and you don't want that sitting in or on your cake. Can leave a nasty taste behind.

I think the one area I would spend money on is the photographer. We didn't and I regret it big time! Do your research and you should be able to find someone with a range that can work with your budget.

A dear friend of mine got married (her 2nd, his 1st) a few years ago. It was a DIY, a few suggestions...

She had the ceremony and reception in the same hall.

The bridesmaid dresses were cocktail type dresses bought at Macy's on sale for $40 each.

No photographer. She had disposable camera's on each of the tables. One of the relatives had a high end digital camera and took pictures of the ceremony. I also took tons of pictures for her. She was able to put together some great albums for herself and parents.

She had a cash bar. Soda was free to the guests.

The cake was a sheet cake bought at the local grocery store. It wasn't the most beautiful cake, but it sure tasted good.

Just out orientaltrading.com for decorating suggestions. Candles are inexpensive and can be quite elegant, however, make sure there are no safety issues. For something less formal, you can do alot with balloons.

Congratulations and good luck!

1 / 3