Divorce Advice No Money for Attorney

I have been married 34 years and my husband let me for another woman. I want to file divorce papers charging him with adultery. Is it worth the money I have to pay to file the papers. There is very little assets, main thing is spousal support amount and duration.

Thanks to everyone that has responded with suggestions and kind words! I really appreciate it so much! I filed the divorce papers on Monday morning and had him served. So ready or not, here we go. I did the papers on my own, although I had consulted with a couple of attorneys for advice. Hopefully this will soon be said and done and I can move on with my life. Thanks again!

Hi, I know that Lone Star Legal Aid provides free services for various issues. Look at their website and call them. I have provided this information to people where I work and they said it works. Good luck!

I haven't look specifically in Houston but in most cities there is some sort of free legal aid, or legal advice that you can obtain, look it up and get some good advice, especially if you want allimony. Or you may find a lawyer who can give you some advice for a nominal fee, or for free that will help you decide whether you need to get a lawyer or not.

Dear G., Been there done that and I did everything wrong. Do not rush into anything. Even though your husband has said in so many words he chooses another and left you behind - wait. Don't be so fast to "show" him you don't need him for anything. He'll be very happy to take you up on total independence and leave you with nothing but an empty sack for all those years. You have alot of years invested in your marriage; you may still love him but not like him. He may be thinking with his ego which someone else is readily feeding. You can and will be happy again, ask God for peace and stay with Jesus as your husband - friend - companion and support; one day the right path will show itself. Remember forgiving must and can find a place in your heart.

If divorce is absolutely necessary protect yourself, because your husband obviously will not. If he has been the main income maker over all these years while your role was mainly taking care of home and raising the children, do not give away any retirement possibilities. You will never, at this age, be able to acumilate any reasonable amount for your tired and aged being.

Best advise I can offer you is go slow and go with God first in your heart.

I would still file for divorce and charge him with adultery even if there's very little assets. Do it for your dignity. Good luck and keep your head up high, he's the one that messed up not you.

G.~

Here is a link to a state funded program here in TX that is not widely advertised but worth checking into...

http://www.texasbar.com/Template.cfm?Section=Texas_Lawyer...

If the link doesn't work just google "Texas Lawyers Who Care"

Also, these are tough times and because I am a psychotherapist that is my first recommendation. Capital Area Mental Health Center is an excellent place for low-cost therapy. The link is www.camhc.org

Keep your chin up!! If I can help further send me a line!

Hi G.,

I am 62, so I am guessing you are about that age. Earlier this year I ask Mama Source patrons for an attorney that would help with the situation I was in. My situation took care of itself, but here are the attorney's that I was refered to:

Jeanette Schaefer
###-###-####
She makes house calls or office calls
She is an Elder Law Attorney

Clyde Farrell
###-###-####
he does not make house calls.

They are both Elder Law Attorney's, so I am sure they will know how to help you and how to help you find the funds to do what is necessary. Usually the first visit is free, so they can see what type of case you have.

If you need a friend all my contact information is on this website at the bottom of the home page. My cell for down here is ###-###-####

Love and Blessings
J. M

You can go on line and find out how to do the divorce without the expense of a lawyer. As for spousal support, I think in the state of Texas that is limited and for a short duration. If child support is involved, a judge determines that.
As far as "is it worth filing the papers", do you mean should you divorce him? He left you. Do you want to stay married to him? Only you can answer that question. If he left, it looks like he has already made his decision.

My cousin was married for 30 years, they have 3 children (adults) and was awarden divorce based on Adultery. No settlement was made at court but he pays for EVERY THING plus gives her weekly spending money.
I would recommend that you go to www.divorcesource.com/TXARTICLES/henderson2.html and afterward check with an attorney.
Keep God in your heart and every thing will be easier.

G.,

You really need a good attorney!!! Check with legal aide and see if you qualify. I'm more worried about the support you need and deserve then charging him with adultry, as many states have a no fault divorce law (dosen't have to be a reason). Best of luck to you.

A.

1 / 3