Disneyland CA for 5 and 7 Year Old

I would like to someday take my kids to Disneyland. It is expensive and we want to make sure we thoroughly maximize our visit. From my POV, it seems that older kids, like 8-12 would get the most fun from the visit so I have held off taking my kids. The older one's don't tire out like the younger ones and can go on all the rides, pretty much. So with that said, what is your POV on taking a 5 and 7 year old? Is it a good value or should we just stick with Knotts Berry Farm and Legoland and wait till they are older?

Thanks, as always!

5 and 7 are great ages for Disneyland. It's more fun for parents when the kids are little like that because you see the innocent wonder in their eyes. They wont be disappointed.

My rule was when the youngest was 7. That is the age they can really
appreciate it. So mine were 7, 10, 11 and 12. Had a blast!

Updated

Updated

HECK NO!!! Are you kidding, your kids are perfect ages for Disneyland! there are a lot of rides to go on, shows to see, parades to attend, character dining which is the best way to meet your favorite characters as they personally come to each table for pics and autographs. Plus, from my experience, I grew up going to Disneyland and have developed such fond memories. However, friends of mine who went when they were older found it "dumb and boring". Take your kids starting now, you won't regret it, I promise! Last time I went was in 2009, my kids were 6 months, 3yo and 6yo. They went longer into the night than I honestly thouht they would. I didn't purposely keep them out but all the lights, music and fun just kept the smiles going, it was an awesome trip!!

Disneyland is perfect for kids all ages! Your 5 and 7 year old will LOVE it! Don't even bother to go to Knotts. It is so inferior compared to Disneyland. Actually Knotts is better for older kids who love fast roller coasters without the gimmicks, and don't care about the cleanliness or ambiance of a theme park. Disneyland is a can't-miss. You can go there and have a great time even without the rides, just watching shows, parades, meeting characters, eating yummy food. And when it comes time to sit and rest and relax, there are much more pleasant areas for this at Disneyland than there are at Knotts.

Hi, I have passes to Disneyland and Knotts and have been going with mine since they were born. Both are fun, but Knott's has more roller coasters that yours might not like or be able to go on. I would skip Knotts and do Disneyland. Knott's has Camp Snoopy but that's about it for young ones. If you stay at a hotel closer to Disney, you can always go back to the hotel and take a rest and go back in the evening. Now with summer here, the park is open from 8am- midnight. Lots of time to see everything and also have time for a rest. Have a great time. If you have more questions, you can email me directly. We go about once a week to both parks. I have 4 year old twins. Have a great time in the Happiest Place!

my daughter is 4 and can get on basically ALL the rides. she loves it there. your best bet is to get a 2 day park hopper ticket. we have passes and go all the time :)

We started taking our kids when they were in diapers (even though we have a 9 hour drive each way, a one income family and 4 kids). :)

It all depends on what you like to do. If you're very much thrill ride people, yeah, wait until the kids are older. If they will love the whole atmosphere - photos with characters, wearing costumes to the park, watching parades and fireworks - go now.

There's lots at Disney for younger kids, although the lines do tend to be longest on those experiences.

The best advice I can give you - 1. DO NOT try to do it all. You can't, and you'll be exhausted and grouchy (so will the kids). 2. In the middle of the day, when it's hottest and the lines are longest, go to Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island (Disneyland) or Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (California Adventure) and just let the kids run around. There's lots of shade, caves to explore, fun activities they won't have to wait half an hour for, and even the chance to get a character photo or two.

We took my 5 year old to Disney World this year and had a BLAST. You'd be surprised how much they CAN go on. We did well by going to the park first, then being willing to head back to the hotel around lunch time (saved on park food this way too), relax a little, nap or whatever, then head back to the park in the evening when it had cooled off.
Honestly, we adults weren't really any more able than he was to spend all day in the park. Even with a 12 year old I would have gotten cranky and tired and done well with the mid-day break!

HTH

5 & 7 are the PERFECT ages for Dland. Our 6 yo can now go on every ride at the park height-wise and this last time we ditched the stroller, too, so that was nice. Have fun!

1 / 3