Disney World for Family of 6

We are looking at taking a family vacation to Disney World at Thanksgiving. Yes, we know that is not the best time of year to go, but it is the only time we all have off.

We are trying to decide if staying on Disney property is worth the extra costs. Any advice you can share from your own experiences would be greatly appreciated! If you recommend a place to stay, that would be great too.

Thanks!!

So What Happened?â„¢

We have booked our trip to Disney! We went with Delta Vacations. We will be staying off property, mainly because we could get twice as much room for all 6 of us for the same or less than staying on property.

Here are couple of websites that will be helpful in your planning. There is a lot of great advice from fellow disneyites. We are a family of 5 and headed there in 2 weeks...also a crowded time.

http://www.disboards.com/index.php?
http://www.allearsnet.com/
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/

Let me know if you have any other questions.

C.,
I am a travel agent and work at Fairway Travel in Carrollton, I live in lewisville. I can help you with your vacation to Disney! I have been there 10 times! :-) Just want to ask you a few questions and I will send some pricing your way. 1.How many nights do you want to be in Florida? 2.Are you looking for something inside the park or out? (There are advantages to both)
3.Are you looking for a hotel or maybe a condo or rental house? Are kitchen facilities important to you? 4.Are you planning to drive or fly? 5.How many people all together, 5 or 6? By answering these quetions, you are giving me the info I need to put together the perfect vacation for your family. My phone is ###-###-#### Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm and this Saturday 11:00am-3:00pm(We rotate Saturdays)
I would love to help you plan your vacation.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort - Lake Buena Vista, and loved it. There have Kid Suites, with room for 3 kids in the kid suite, a room for the adults and a sofa in the den for 1 more small child.

http://www.kidsuites.com/

I think kids under a certain age eat free.... which really helps with cost.

Also, we did go to a sales pitch at a nearby timeshare and received a huge discount on tickets (and we didn't buy into the timeshare). But it's something you can do too, if you have a few hours to waste.

Staying on property is worth the money especially since you do have the Disney bus system to take you back and forth from the parks. Since you are going during peak time though these buses will be packed, especially near park opening and closing. At times we've had to wait about 1-2 buses before being able to get one. Here are some websites that are invaluable for trip planning, I'm a disney nut so I visit them everyday even when I don't have trip in the works, www.allearsnet.com or www.mouseplanet.com.

C.,
We are a family of five and we stayed off property. It depends on what is important to you as to whether you stay on property or not. Staying off property you would have to rent a car unless you are driving. The home we stayed in had a pool and you could even get it heated while you are there as it is enclosed. You can cook your own meals and save money on that. You might check www.vrbo.com for homes in the Orlando area. Also visit www.mousesavers.com for some awesome deals on Disneyworld. Again, it really comes down to what is most important to you and your family. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I got the following advice from a travel agent @ the following address:

Kristi Rose
Bass Travel LTD
1603 W Pinhook Rd
Lafayette, LA 70508
###-###-####

I mentioned to the travel agent that I was thinking about staying off the grounds & she gave me the following advice:

My advice it to stay at a Disney property-there is so much added in when you stay on the grounds,

1. the use of Disney's Magical Express, which will pick you up from the airport and bring you to your resort, they also handle your luggage and it will meet you in your room! And when you are ready to leave they pick you up from your resort and bring you back to the airport.
2. "Extra Magic Hours"-everyday one of the parks will either open early or stay open late just for guests staying at a Disney property, and I can tell you from experience that it is great-no lines, especially during the night hours, (once you check in they will give you a calendar for the week telling you which parks have the extra hours).
3. If you stay at a Disney resort you have round the clock transportation to each of the theme parks from the front door of your resort. Take for instance the Pop Century (been there, loved it) right outside the front door are several bus stops- stop 1 heads right to the Magic Kingdom, stop 2- Epcot, stop 3- MGM Studios, stop 4- Disney's Animal Kingdom, stop 5- Downtown Disney and stop 6 heads to the water parks. And once you are ready to leave the park you head right outside the gates and find the bus stop which takes you right back to your resort.
4. Disney's Dinning Package-this optional package includes 1. one counter service/quick service meal-which includes and entrée, side and drink, 2. one table service/sit down meal-which includes an appetizer, entrée, drink and dessert and 3. one snack-which includes either ice cream, a soda, cookies, popcorn, etc... per day per person and there are over 100 different places through out the parks and the resorts that you can use this plan. The plan is roughly $35/day/adult and $12/day/child, it does seem like a lot at once but anyone who has been to Disney before knows just how pricey the food can be. **I will give you a personal example- before becoming a travel agent my husband and I went to Disney for 5 days, before the dinning plan existed, and we went to a great 4 star restaurant in the MGM Studios called Mama Melrose's (fantastic Italian food). We both had tea, split an appetizer, each had an entrée and split dessert and our bill was well over $120, with the tip. Needless to say that was our only big meal of that trip. This past April we went again with our 18-month old daughter and this time decided to try the dinning plan. We went back to Mama Melrose's and had 2 drinks, 2 appetizers, 2 entrées, and 2 desserts and all we had to do was swipe our dinning card and that was it, even the tip was already built in. This time we ate like that every night because it was included in the dinning plan. Plus we were each able to trade in one of our sit down meals and do a character dinner, Chef Mickey, which our daughter loved. (Chef Mickey usually runs about $26 per person). So that's my personal endorsement for the dinning plan. :-)

Hopefully this helps!

C.,
We went last summer with our two kids, and had a blast.
When we went, we did the Disney package. We stayed at the All Star Movie hotel. It was okay, but it was the cheapest. The good thing about staying in their hotels is the shuttle service. They will pick you up at the airport, and take you to and from the parks and hotel. it was very convenient.
Would you mind letting me know what other responses were about hotel recommendations?

A.

I think staying at the property is totally worth the extra expense especially if you really only plan on going to the Disney parks. The transportation alone saves you the expense of a rental car. There are hotel shuttles that charge a fee to/ from the airport but the shuttles to the parks are free. We stayed at one of the value resorts (Music) and it was fantastic..lots for the kids to do too. The parks also offer a great Thanksgiving feast with the charactures so be sure to look into that.
HAVE FUN! Wish we were going too!

1 / 3