Dishwasher Issues

Ok, I know this is a little off the path of ususal family questions, but I am gong crazy with this. My dishwasher is leaving grit on my glasses. It is like dried on crumbs. It is a really nice dishwasher, but it is making me crazy. I switched soap, settings, and that liquid stuff you pour in for no spots. There has to be a problem or way to fix it, short of getting a new one...If anyone has gone through this and knows what is going on...Or anyone married to a "maytag" man who may have an answer, I would be so happy to solve this problem.

Thanks so much for reading.

I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!! Ugh! It needs to have the filter cleaned out. Have you tried running it through without dishes or soap on the hottest, most aggressive cycle (POTS & PANS). Try this a couple of times, otherwise if you don't have a removable filter then you will have to take out the water "spinner" in the bottom & clean it all out. Hope this helps gal. Take care, G

Try running an empty load with tang instead of soap. My father-in-law is a plumber and he recommended this as a way of getting rid of any build up and/or smell in the dishwasher.

I had the same problem and my small town repair man told me I needed a new motor or just buy a new dishwasher. My dishwasher was only three years old so I refused to do either. I ran an empty dish washer with Lime Away. It sounds harsh but the bottle says you can use it to clean coffee pots and other kitchen appliances. I feeled the dispenser and ran the hottest cycle. You can also throw salt or citric acid in the bottom as you run it too. I have also heard to run a cycle using Tang but I haven't tried it.

One other thing that might help to is to replace the "flapper" at the back of your dishwasher. I don't know the real part but it closes over the hose at the back to prevent stuff from flushing back into your dishwasher.

My dishwasher is now eight years old and it is has been doing it again. Eventually, I know this trick won't work and I may have to buy a new dishwasher but I got five more years out of my dishwasher. I have a Whirlpool, and was curious what brand you have.

Good luck, I will be watching for other responses, too.

It used to happen to us all the time. We did eventually end up getting a new dishwasher, but it did help to run an empty cycle every once in a while with that dishwasher cleanser they sell. I have found it at WalMart where they have the dish detergent and such. It is called Dishwasher Magic. Maybe that will help. Good luck!

I've had this problem a lot over the years. My dishwasher is far from new. I find that the hard water can create this problem. I add 1 cup of white vinegar at the beginning of every load and it usually takes care of the problem as well as helps eliminate the film the soap can sometimes leave on dishes especially glassware. If that doesn't solve the problem. I would check to see if the holes in your sprayer arms are plugged. Hard water can build up in these over time and then the dishes don't get washed/rinsed properly. Good luck!

It may be that your dishwasher is suffering from mineral build-up from hard water. Hard water can acctually shorten the life of your dishwasher and clothes washer. A water softener is a great investment to help with these problems, plus your tub and shower will stay cleaner. If that is not an option financially, then just use a dishwasher cleaner, I think that jet-dry brand makes one. YOu put it in your dishwasher and run a cycle with no dishes in it. You can also use plain vinegar and do the same thing, and scrub the inside of the dishwasher with vinegar. Good luck!

Have you cleaned the trap? There is a trap in the back of the dishwasher that bigger things can't go through. If it is not clean then the stuff gets redeposited back onto the dishes. All you have to do is pull out the bottom rack and grab all the junk around the trap. It should help you out.

Hi L.!

I had the same issue: tried Jet Dry, and it didn't work. What did work was moving the glasses from the top shelf to the bottom shelf. It's a pain, and sometimes I really have to be creative about reorganizing things. But ever since I put the glasses on the bottom rack of the dishwasher, I haven't had the problem! Hope this helps! L.

1 / 3