Discussion-Having Single Friends When Married

Mama's

How many of you believe you can not spend major time with single friends when you are married? If you feel this way what are your reasons and experiences.

This has nothing to do with any problems or issues. I just wanted to know how my mama's view the topic
Thanks

Thank You Mama's for your input I think the below article sums everything up!

After complimenting her on being a great mother and girlfriend to a NBA player, he questions whether or not she undesrtood the work it requires to master being a wife.

"It's one wedding, one situation, one time.....are you a wife? Why are you not hanging out with married women who have been married for a long time? You can't be in the spirit of being married, hanging out with a bunch of single people. I'm not telling you to get rid of all of your friends but they are not in the same space that you are in," Tyrese told her.

LaLa felt the epiphanic slap and her response was, "After thinking about everything Tyrese said, he does make a lot of sense on lot of things. And marriage is definitely a big deal."

Is it a big enough deal to stop hanging around your single friends?Mr. Coca-Cola has a point, but his delivery was very extreme. When men or women decide to make the transition from single life to martial bliss they should be aware that some things will have to change. One of which, depending on who you are and who your friends are, may include changing who you hang with and who you choose to turn to for advice.

The single life brings a lot of relationship drama, instability and lessons learned. Most of us experience that period of our lives with friends that are there for us during our relationship highs and lows. Therefore, it isn't realistic nor is it fair to think as soon as you are engaged, all your single friends must walk out your life.

To evict people out your life based solely on their relationship status isn't right, but to surround yourself only with single friends can be just as faulty. Single people, no matter how long they have been a boyfriend and girlfriend, will not understand the marriage dynamic until they take the sacred oath themselves. Tyrese's point is that it would be beneficial to anyone on the verge of getting married to understand their are many things to learn from couples who already have jumped the broom and taken the plunge.

Whether you're in a relationship or not, when you're not married, you're acknowledged as "single." Single people, consciously or not, have a tendency to put their needs and wants first because - well, because they can. However, those who are married are held to legal and spiritual obligations that unite them. The needs and wants of one become the needs and wants of both. Not all of your single buddies will understand that, which is why it's imperative for anyone getting married to balance the company they keep.

Find yourself in a good space by balancing your time (when not spending it with you new wife/husband) with successfully married couples that you can learn from and single friends that respect the institution of marriage even if they are not in one. Balance is key -- unsuccessfully married couples can do plenty, if not more damage to the relationship than those who are single. Ultimately, a true friend is friend no matter his or her marital status.

Writer Shirea L. Carroll

I find it hard to spend a lot of time w/ my single friends b/c we don't have a lot in common anymore. My life is so different than theirs. After dinner and a couple of drinks, I'm ready to go home and see my hubby and kids.

It's not a matter of believing I can't spend time with single friends.
I just don't want to.
Single friends are still hunting for mates and I've found mine.
The last thing they want to hear about is wedded bliss.
My husband and I were/are quite relieved to be done with dating other people.
Single friends do NOT want to hear about my kid, his school, his grades, his other activities. I'm centered on my family, and their eyes glaze over if they hear more than 2 minutes about it. Am I suppose to just sit there and listen to who thinks whose butt is cute (and then my eyes glaze over)?
We're just at different places in life, and have different interests now.

I don't have any issues with having single friends in general. I have had to distance myself from a couple girlfriends over the years because they only wanted to do the things we did together before I was married...barhopping, drinking etc

I have been married for nearly 20 years and I have had numerous single friends. I have gone out dancing with my sister when she was single, it was a 50's place and everyone was dancing with everyone. I have gone on road trips with other moms that are single and my husband watched the kids...all 4, I have had single friends that were guys too...one is gay and the other 2 are just normal guy friends. We do stuff with my husband and the kids too. I think it has a lot to do with the security of my marriage, if I had wanted to date those guys before I married my husband I could have pursued it then, why would I now.

As for it taking time away from my family...that's just silly. Everyone needs time away from the hubby and kids. He gets to go in our office for hours at a time and mentally take a break. He could go do stuff with his friends if he wanted but he likes being on the computer instead. He is an introvert and needs that time in quiet and solitude.

I also have married friends who want to go out and really let loose when they go out, not my thing anymore, I won all the 2-step trophies I need. It's simply a matter of finding people, whether they are married or single, that you have things in common with and enjoy spending time with.

Major time? No. Reasons? the Bible - cleave unto your spouse and none else, cut the apron strings, put no one else before the happiness of your spouse. Anything or anyone that gets in the way of a happy marriage needs to move way down on the priority list.

That being said, if you are having a spouse problem with him always out with his single friends, getting mad or nagging him about it will not help. You've got to act like the best friend he has ever said, be super attractive to him not just physically but through flirting, etc. If that doesn't work, sometimes the ignoring and getting your own life really bothers men (not the silent treatment, just the "i don't care, I'm happy and you don't interest me" treatment. Men like to chase down their wives even after marriage sometimes.

I miss hanging out with my single friends! Not because we don't have anything in common, but it's usually due to distance, work schedules and family schedules. I love hanging out with them and forget for a while about all my wifely and motherly duties and just be a girly girl for a few hours. I think it's so important to have friends outside the marriage whether single or not. It's good to have a connection with people besides your spouse.

Why would that be the case? I have tons of single friends with whom I spend a great deal of time. We have girls' nights, go on girls' trips and they're included in group outings to concerts, restaurants, etc. How sad to give up friendships based on relationship status! Plus, what about friends who weren't single but lose a partner/spouse to death or divorce? Those folks need our friendship more than ever!

About 2/3s of my friends are not married. About half of them are in LTRs. ((I wasn't sure *exactly* what you meant by single))

For me it's the individual, not their living circumstance.

I agree with B. It isn't that you CAN'T have single friends......it's just that it always seem like they are in a different place in life. I find myself wanting to spend time with couples......preferably with kids. The conversations just tend to me more interesting for me based on my life. Also, single friends CAN get you into situations that may not be the best for your marriage.

I don't necessarily "believe" that I cannot spend time with single friends, it just doesn't happen now that i have kids. All of my single friends are very different, but still seem to do activities that I cannot include my kiddos in. And, sadly, they do not think to invite me as much anymore since I do have kiddos. I find that some of them expect me to be able to do things with them (sans kiddos) when it is just hard to pull off. I work full time, have my kiddos from 2pm-630p when my husband gets home, then it is time for dinner, baths and bedtime (for all of us, as i get up at 5am for work). I also am basically a single mom on saturdays because my husband works (he owns his own business), then his only day off is sunday to spend together as a family. It would be nice to have both worlds and maybe someday it will be easier, but now we will just do what we can.

1 / 3