Dirty Teeth...

My 13 month old daughter has eight teeth and some yellow (dirty marks) on them. I have been brushing her teeth with a baby toothbrush since the first tooth pierced thru the gums. I never had any problems until the last few weeks.
I first noticed it when she smiled. her two front teeth were yellow... i immediately scrubbed it off with the toothbrush...it did not seem to help very much and she only became more aggravated. Also her gums seem a little red and irritated which would only seem normal if her teeth were not clean.
any advice on what i should do? i am a very clean person and have a hard time dealing with this strange issue especially as now she will not even open her mouth to have her teeth clean....
When should i bring her to her first dentist visit?
Is it ok to buy her a regular toothbrush?
Thank You

To all wonderful mothers!!! thank you for the very informative responses... it is nice to receive outside knowledge. I will make her appointment tomorrow and get it checked by a professional.

Thank you

My son had 2 small spots on his lower teeth and later I was told by a ped. dentist that it was staining probably from antibiotics or iron in his liquid vitamins.

My daughter (at around 2 years) had some discoloration as well, especially her 2 front top teeth. I was confused because we are quite strict about dental hygeine. I was told by her pediatrician and her dentist (after a cleaning) that that was her natural shade.

Now that she has adult teeth, the natural color of them - which I once considered discoloration, is just fine. She doesn't drink anything that stains, she does eat a lot of berries, but she has regular cleanings and her smile is beautiful.

I started using toothbrushes instead of the infant gum cleaners around 12 months. Since my kids fought this transition our dr. recommended electric toothbrushes because you could get more cleaning accomplished in a shorter amount of time. I really love them as they are gentle but efficient.

Ask your pediatrician his/her opinion and make an appointment with a dentist if you feel it necessary. My kids started seeing a dentist regularly as soon as they turned 2. Good luck!

I am a dental hygienist and a mother (twin 3 1/2yr old girls). Sounds like she just needs her teeth cleaned. If you think she will cooperate, you should bring her to a pediatric DDS. Generally it is recommended to start at around 2 1/2yrs to 3 yrs of age unless there is some trauma or visible problem. What you describe doesn't sound serious, but a dental visit would probably make you feel better. Good Luck. Stick to a child's toothbrush and make sure it is soft. (adults should also only use soft)

My daughter had exactly the same thing at 2 years old. I asked my pediatrician about it, but she didn't really know what it was either. I knew that some dentists like to see babies as soon as they get teeth and some say you can wait until three years old so I figured that I should take her to a pediatric dentist. It turned out that it wasn't anything serious and the yellow color came off when the dentist cleaned her teeth. She said that I should be using a stronger tooth paste like Kid's Crest with cavity protection. My daughter was not great at spitting out the toothpaste at that point, but the dentist said to only use a baby pea sized amount and It would be ok if she swallowed such a small amount.
I was lucky that my daughter let the dentist clean her teeth at such a young age. Some kids would not be cooperative, I'm sure. I think that you should take your daughter to the dentist and if she lets them clean her teeth, great, if not, at least the dentist can take a look to be sure it is nothing serious.
If you happen to be in Fairfield, Ct, Kid's First Pediatric Dentists are fantastic.

All the best, B.

I would chill on the hard brushing, and I would not buy a regular toothbrush. But I would take her to the pediatrician, and ask! Tooth brushing at this point is mostly to get her used to the experience, not to really get those teeth scrubbed and polished. Overdoing it may give her a hangup about brushing, and that's the last thing you want!

These marks do not mean she isn't clean. Don't stress! Just chat with your doc. It's too early to see a dentist.

BTW red, irritated gums in a baby usually mean either 1) more teeth are coming, or 2) you are brushing too hard!

Could be absolutely anything! Take her to a pediatric dentist for a professional opinion. My four year old goes to a fantastic guy in Kearny.

Definetly take her to the dentist. My son had some stuff on his two bottom teeth and the dentist took care of it right away. They recommend the first dentist visit at one year. I think to help make the children use to the visits. My son is two and goes every six months. I also heard vitamins can turn kids teeth yellow. Good luck

Dentists say that as soon as the child has teeth, they can be brought to the dentist. If you don't want to do that yet, check with your regular pediatrician.

Try a soft bristle toothbrush, and brush her little teeth twice a day. The yellow on her teeth is plaque. You may need the dentist to remove that. Try to find a good pediatric dentist in your neighborhood, and she'll be fine.

Good luck & Happy New Year!

1 / 3