Dirty Iron

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My iron has this sticky build-up on it, I have only tried rubbing it with a rag, as I am afraid to ruin the iron. I think it is coming from the spray starch that my husband insists on using. Any ideas on how I might be able to get it off or cleaning suggestions. Is soap safe to use on it?

Thanks for all the advice. I will try the magic eraser first since I have some of those. IF that doesnt work I will probably try the vinegar or rubbing alcohol. I have ruined so many shirts because the iron gives off this brown coloring on my shirts...of course, its never happened to my husbands shirts. I wish I didnt have to use it, I hate ironing. :)

Lay a newspaper down and place salt on it. Heat up the iron and rub it on the salt. I learned this in Home Ec and it works, I still do that. By the way I would buy my own iron and let him keep the one he ruined. :)

Have a good day.

Have a good day.

I will tell you the trick that I use, my iron is as sparkley clean as the day I bought it.

Don't ever use it! : )

Sorry I couldn't resist. I am not lying it does really work! Have a great day!

I would try rubbing alchohol !

Hi I had the same problem. At Jo-Ann fabrics they sell a product called Iron-off made by Dritz. It's hot iron cleaner and gets the sticky stuff off and dosen't harm the iron. Good luck!

Hi-Maybe try Goo-Gone or even a Magic Eraser(they seem to take everything else off!!)

I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it came right off. Won't ruin your iron either.

Kohls sells iron cleaner as well. It worked great on our iron.

My Mom told me to use a rag with vinegar on it. I would try that first because you probably have some around the house.

1 / 3