Dinner Party

I am having a gathering for about 10 very hard to please ladies.They are all very fancy eaters and gourmet cooks. I too like to cook, but with a new born and two other kids, i dont have the time in the kitchen i once did. I would love to cater but with the economy now i'd rather do it my self. My ? is, does anyone have any good, easy and gourmet recipes they would like to share with me to get me throught this evening. i want to display all my food on the kitchen island and have them eat buffet style. Finger foods, salads, pastas, whatever will work.
thanks in advance

I would ask the other ladies to contribute but, I believe in easy finger foods that don't require cooking.

1. Really good bread (Panera Bread works well) with Olive Oil for dipping with a little balsamic vinegar.
2. Toss mini-cucumber, grape tomato, red onion in italian dressing. If you'd like, you can throw in tortellini or feta cheese to be more substantial.
3. Costco has the most amazing artichoke and jalapeno dip. Serve heated or cold with crackers or bread.
4. Bow pasta (or penne) tossed in olive oil with grilled chicken (shrimp, if you are feeling really fancy) and capers. You can replace olive oil with store bought pesto or alfredo sauce.

For a simple but impressive salad, I like to serve MIXED BABY GREENS with CHEVRE and ROASTED FIGS. I buy a package of the mixed greens to make it easy. Cut the figs in half, toss them gently with some olive oil (enough to coat them lightly) and spread them on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, until they are bubbling around the edges and slightly browned. This salad is most impressive when served as individual portions, but can easily work in a buffet style. I would toss the greens in a large serving bowl with some kind of vinaigrette (something light or fruity would work best to avoid overpowering the figs, i.e. probably best to avoid balsamic or dijon-based vinaigrette). Then use a teaspoon to scatter dollops of the chevre around the top. Scatter the roasted figs on top of the greens as well. Finish it off with some freshly cracked pepper. The last time I made this I used some lavender-scented chevre that I found at Whole Foods. It was very subtle but AMAZING!

Really easy appetizer--take a wheel of brie and a container of those pillsbury cresent rolls. Don't break apart the cresent roll dough, just wrap around the brie pinching around to seal. Bake at 350 until golden (about 10-15 min) (you can brush with egg before you bake if you want a nice golden crust. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting into it or the brie will ooze out! Serve with sliced apples, strawberries, grapes. Crackers too if desired--but the cresent around the cheese is usually enough bread.
This looks really fancy but is (obviously) super easy. Happy entertaining! -J.

A fast and easy appetizer I do is wrap some asparagus individually in pieces of proscuitto, throw them in a casserole dish, sprinkle on salt pepper some olive oil and shards of really good parmasen cheese (not the stuff in the can). ;) Bake for 15-20 minutes. Everyone says "it must have been so hard to make!" Good ingredients, even just a few, go a long way in gourmet food.

Hi E.:

I have a friend who has started a small catering business. Her prices are extremely reasonable and her food is excellent! If you choose to contact her, just tell her that H. referred you from Mamasource.com. Another Mamasource mom used her for a dinner party similar to the size of yours and was really pleased with the results. You can contact her here:

Kim Friend

Here's a wonderful and easy recipe that they're all sure to love. I made up this recipe a couple of years ago and everyone that has tried it has loved it. You can double or triple it to fit your needs. Also, you can serve it with pasta instead of rice if you prefer.

Chicken in Red Sauce:

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 small cans of tomato sauce
1 cup of chopped cilantro
1/2 chopped green pepper
1 small onion chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 cup of pitted spanish olives
1 small zuccini chopped
seasoned salt
pepper
1 cup water
olive oil

Directions:

Rinse and filet all chicken breasts and season with seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a saute' pan. Add chicken breasts and brown on each side. Place browned chicken breasts in a glass cake pan or casserole dish. Add all other ingredients. Cover with foil and bake on 350 degrees for 90 minutes on top rack of oven. Remove from heat and serve over white rice.

Serves 4.

Enjoy!!

If these ladies are so hard to please, why are you turning yourself inside out to try to please 10 of them at once! With a newborn and the rest of your family,you should be able to have a simple dinner....

My no fail party food is: You Can Bake Ahead Chicken. Bake whole chickens or any chicken parts in 350 degree oven drizzled with olive oil (extra virgin is best)and garlic (or substitue something like Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb). When it is cooked, remove bones, cut into chunks put on a small amount of curry powder (to taste), or stir curry into gravy (make yourself or canned or you can use plain yoghurt with some pan drippings stirred in).If you do not like curry, substitute cinnamon...a different taste, but still yummy. Serve over couscous (you just use instant couscous... boil water, turn off the heat, throw in the couscous and cover... it will cook itself). If you don't like couscous, rice or orzo work too. Have little bowls with toppings... shredded coconut, chopped peanuts or chopped almonds,pine nuts, chopped pecans raisens, chopped dried apricots or prunes. Or you can just throw a handful of the toppings of your choice in the chicken last minute. The couscous can be cooked in 5 minutes, and has to be last minute, but the chicken can be cooked in advance and reheated, or kept warm in a crockpot or served straight from the oven, whatever is easiest. Even easier is to cook the chicken in a crock pot to begin with.
Raisens or apricots and peanuts or almonds make a more "Indian" flavor, Cinnamon and pine nuts or pecans make a more "Moroccan" flavor.

If your "hard to please" ladies do not like what you cook, you may want to reconsider your guest list for your next party.
best of luck, L.

Hi E.,
One of my favorite "fancy" finger foods is pretty easy...
Buy as many green grapes as you think your group will eat, a package of buorsin cheese and shelled pistachios. Cut the grapes in half, arrange them (curved side down) on a flat platter, as close together as you can, soften the cheese, pipe it onto the flat side of the grape and top with a pistachio. They taste really good too! If you don't have a piping bag, just cut the corner of a sandwich bag and use that.

You're girls could help by putting the nuts on each grape.

I've made this recipe and it's VERY easy (maybe 15 min prep time and then just throw it in the oven) and always a huge hit! It has a lot of unexpected cheeses in it so I'm guessing it should please discerning palates... Best of luck!
Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup crushed tomatoes in thick tomato puree
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (1 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup shredded imported Italian fontina (1 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup crumbled Italian Gorgonzola (1 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
1/4 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 pound imported penne rigate pasta
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
Directions
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Cook pasta like normal.

Combine all the ingredients except the penne in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.

When pasta is cooked, place in a baking dish and cover with the rest of the mixed ingredients.

Bake until bubbly and brown on top, 7 to 10 minutes

This recipe is nice because you can prepare it ahead of time and just refrigerate and wait to bake it until right before the party.

1 / 3