Dilated to 3Cm... What Does This Mean?

I just found out yesterday that I am dilated to 3cm and am not due for another 2 weeks. Have any of you moms experience this? Did the baby come early? I just remember with my first how many hours of labor it took me to get to this point! So far so good I guess! What's your experience with dilating in correlation to labor? Thanks! Just trying to ease some of the anxiety.

With my 2nd child I started dialating at 35 weeks every week we went up 1/2 to 1 cm. By 40 weeks and 5 days I was almost 5 cm and still not in labor. Hope this helps. I really don't think it matters. With my first child I was dialated 1cm and went into labor 12 hrs later and had him with in 9hrs of my water breaking.

My mother-in-law was dilated to 4cm two weeks before her due date with one of her kids and she ended up going two weeks overdue so being dilated that far that early didn't mean anything for her.

I was 4 cm and 70% effaced for over a week...Baby was a couple days late. My doctor told me impending labor didn't really have anything to do with dilation, the effacement is more of a sign.

I was dilated to 3cm five weeks before my son was due. I didn't dilate any more than that until I went into labor on his due date, and he was born around 30 hours later. It seems like things go faster with your second child, but i wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if you went into labor now, the baby should be fine. Babies are really only considered "Preterm" if they are born before 37 weeks.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your baby can be born any time now and safely. It's considered full term. Also you can be dialated without being effaced. Some people can be dialated for weeks before delivery and some only hours.

I was dilated to 4 at that point and still didn't deliver until past my due date. Your OB Gyn should be able to give you more of an idea of how close you might be to going into labor...

I panicked with baby #1 when my DR said I was dilated to a 3 about 3 weeks before my due date. I was also like 50% effaced. I had my son 5 days before his due date. Went to the hospital at 7:30 AM, dilated to a 7, and had him just after 1:00, after pushing for 2 hours!

M.,

I always dialated prior to labor. Unfortunately, being at a 3 can mean anything. Some women don't get to that point until they are begging for an epidural and others don't even know they are dialated. My body was the later. I would dialate to a 6 and at my next check up the doctor would send me to the hospital to be enduced.

It means absolutely nothing! You can walk around at 3 or 4 for WEEKS OR you can go from 0 to 10 in an hour.....

It could mean nothing or it could mean your baby is coming. 38 weeks IS full-term. Congratulations. What a great thing to be thankful for next Thursday!!

1 / 3