Different Food Ideas for Toddler

I have a 15 month old and he has done really well in the transition to 'big people food'. Lately, he seems to be bored with steamed veggies, green beans, cheese and anything else I come up with. He is not a fan of pasta too much or potatoes (what is wrong with him, I don't know!) He loves fruit. He was recently introduced to, dare I say, a hot dog and loved it. My guess is because it was different, but I am out of ideas. Please suggest some! THANKS!

Go to the following website, http://stepbystepcc.com/menu.html

Its the best. Its a daycare menu, so everything on it is geared towards kids. Not all of them will work for you, and it may be hard to follow each meal everyday, but it will give you ideas when you cant think of any.

Good Luck and I hope the website helps

Lunch Meat
Tacos without the shell
Black Beans (usually in a quesadilla with cheese)
Smoothies (we buy the light yoplait ones and both our daughters love them)
Rice (usually I put veggies and chicken with it)
Advocado
Cottage Cheese

Like the other person said anything you eat as long as you cut it up small.

Good Luck and I hope the website helps

I am a mother of a 2 year old (Helen). The foods I was giivng her at 15 months were: veggies hot dogs (I liked these better than real hot dogs cause they did not have the nitrates in them), veggies burgers (Garden Bruger brand), Quesadillas (cheese and bean in tortiallas), sauted veggies for a little different spin on the veggies, peanut and jelly (if there is no history of peanut alergies in your family 1 year is ok to introduce peanut butter, but do it slowly just in case, I gave Helen just a tiny taste from on my finger), bagels and cream cheese, tomato soup, grilled cheese.

I hope these give you ideas, the main thing is to cut things up. We started giving Helen what we were eating (cut or mashed up at about 9 months) unless it was really spicey. Now she eats like a champ.

M. F.

No matter what - keep giving those veggies!! They're the most important. Speak positively about them and make them fun. If he's hungry enough - he'll eat them. In my house, it's not an option. The kids have to eat them and they do. They love them. The parents' example of eating is how the child will eat. My kids love Bush's vegetarian baked beans. They're loaded in protein, fiber, and iron. Taste great and easy for a toddler to eat. Also, the vegetarian variety does not have any "freaky" chemicals added to preserve the meats sometimes added to other baked bean varieties.
Plain, organic yogurt with thawed frozen berries is good calcium, protein, antioxidants and acidophilus cultures. Very low sugar. Avocado's are great.
If you're going to do hot dogs - please get either turkey dogs or preferably organic hotdogs. They have less additives and preservatives.
Eggs are a perfect food. Boiled, scrambled, etc. are perfect.

My daughter has always loved dipping her food in a sauce. It doesn't matter what it is. She'll use plain tomato sauce and any number of healthy dressings. I think she just thinks it's fun to dip. I sometimes just steam and puree some veggies for her or even use applesauce. I figure that way, even if she is only licking the dip off, she's still getting something healthy.

My daughter is 2 and a half, and sounds very similar to your son. She loves meatloaf, ham and "softer" type meats. She also loves dipping raw veggies in ranch, but you'll have to wait until your son has all of his teeth. She also loves yogurt and plain wheat bread.

It sounds like he just needs to get used to the idea that those foods he's familiar with are just gonna keep coming back. Because let's face it, even if there were a million and one different options to give him, chances are strong that we're not going to do something new and exciting everyday. You're doing exactly what you should be and if you give him time, he'll get used to eating all the normal stuff regularly.

My son is 18 months now, but at about 12-15 months we started introducing my son to practically everything we were eating, but cut into smaller peices. If I cook it, I put it on his plate! Lunches and such, he eats tons of veggies (I've bought all kinds of different veggies to try something new, some he likes, some he doesn't), mac and cheese, hard cheese, lunch meat tore into peices, hot dogs occasionally, try mashed potatoes with a little cheese mixed in, sweet potatoes my little one LOVES, fruit (canned or fresh), soups drained so they can eat it with fingers. But definitely start trying to give him things from your plate. Once he got over the first shock of REAL flavor (veggies can be kind of boring), he loves just about anything I can fix. I guess I'm really lucky to have such a good eater.

1 / 3