Diet Soda for Kids

First of all let me tell you that my children drink a ton of milk and that is usually their drink of choice. Soda is given as a treat. I was curious on your thoughts of soda vs diet soda for children on an occasion. My husband is a big fan of diet but I am not sure it is good for kids, long term effects, cancer etc. If anyone has any good info that i can point out to my husband that would be great. He seems to think Diet is better for them

Izzes are great occasional "sodas." The are part juice and part sparkling water. I think the blackberry and clementine flavors are probably the most appealing to kids. I get mine at SuperTarget--I think in the New Age beverage aisle? Weird. I'd also rather give sugar than fake sugar if they are set on the more traditional ones, though.

I personally don't think diet soda is good for anyone.....
I wonder what is really in it and what sort of long term affects we will be hearing about 20 years from now. I say go for the 'real' sugar instead :o)

If you are only giving it as a treat anyway then I would just give them the regular soda. I don't trust those artificial sweeteners and wouldn't give them to children.

Hi G.! My dad had severe seziure activity and nearly died from aspartame poisoning. All from drinking Diet Pepsi.
When diet drinks are left in hot warehouses, the chemical composition changes to make formaldyhyde.
My kids both have Type 1 diabetes and our endocrinologist recommends NEVER giving sugar free drinks because it makes blood sugars worse AND the response that R.m. gave is absolutely right. There is research being done that suggests that diet drinks are a major culprit in the cause of Type 2 diabetes and obesity.
The lesser of the evil is regular soda! Even my kids get a small amount an an occasional treat.
Excellent question.....and I hope you are able to talk some sense into your hubby! :)

hi
There are MANY articles about the negative effects of diet soda... let alone regular soda.. if you go to Mercola.Com
In addition, MILK is a bit over-rated as well.. many articles about both that too.
also, go to naturalnews.com
best of luck

As someone who's had cancer, I'm going to respond from a different point of view.

There are NO long-term studies on record showing that any of the artificial sweeteners are directly linked to cancer. I don't know what caused me to have cancer, and I worry all the time - but, my Oncologist didn't tell me to stop having a diet soda once/day because the evidence is just not there.

Should children have large volumes of any soda (diet or regular)? NO! But, as an occasional treat? What is the harm? I don't see it - check out the labels of your drinks. Most now have sucralose (Splenda) including Fruit20, etc.

Juices are just as high in sugar as sugary sodas - if you get a reduced calorie juice to be healthy, it probably has an artificial sweetener in it.

ANYTHING in excess is problematic! Milk, in excess, is very fattening and high carb (check the label, lactose is a sugar and makes the carb ingestion go up).

I hope my point of view is somewhat helpful. I have 2 young children, and I would never want them to have to go through what I did, but we just don't know what causes most cancers (and all cancers are different).

NO diet, and here is why- I read something a while back and I wish I could remember where so I could back this up but I don't. So I will just give you the quick version: Artificial sweeteners actually do something to train your body not to be able to process real sugars, including fruit sugars. So instead of being able to just use the sugar that is given in moderation and burn it off, your body converts it in to fat or something like that. I avoid all artificial sweeteners in jello, canned fruit, pretty much anything that has that Low or No Sugar Added label. There are sodas now that also have no high fructose corn syrup, since they are just kids and probably don't have a major preference now for Dr. Pepper or whatever, I would give those. I think even Pepsi or Coke has a limited time Real Sugar soda right now. I feel much safer with the devil I know. Sorry I can't remember the specifics better for you.

I would stay away from the diet soda or any regular soda containing high fructose corn syrup. Here's a great article about the interaction of combined ingredients in soda... http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/2006-06-0...

What about just sparkling water mixed half and half with fruit juice? That sounds like a good alternative. I would try to stay away from diet soda for sure.

Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sugar, and some animal research has linked consumption of high amounts of the sweetener to brain tumors and lymphoma in rodents. The FDA maintains that the sweetener is safe, but reported side effects include dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, memory loss, and mood changes. Bottom line: Diet soda does you no good, and it might just be doing you wrong.
Just because diet soda is low in calories doesn't mean it can't lead to weight gain.

why to give your child artificial sweet drinks when he can drink 100% juice and is better for her health

1 / 3