Did You Take Birthing Classes?

My husband and I are debating taking birthing classes. I have read a lot about the labor, delivery, and birth. I would love to hear from anyone that had a vaginal birth without taking any classes. What were the pros and/or cons of not having had the classes?

My husband and I did not attend any birthing classes. We did find an online childbirth preparation class and read the six weekly lessons. We also read two books on labor and delivery. I attended the Epidural class that CMC offers, as well as the Breastfeeding class.
I am so thankful for everyone sharing their stories with me. I wanted to know about natural births but I heard from all of you with many different birth experiences. I am so grateful for that since I ended up having a different birth from what I would have planned.
There are no regrets however. Our son Kiefer was born by C-section because he was breech. It went very well. In the end, I am glad I didn't have birthing classes and happy that I did learn about epidurals and spinals instead!
Thanks again for all your input.

My own personal theory is that everyone should Be Informed. The more you know about ANY subject, the less you'll worry!

You learn a LOT in those classes!

I had doubts about whether or not the breathing exercises were helping...so I experimented. "This next contraction, I'm not going to do it." Let me tell you -- I went right back to them immediately!

I wound up having a Caeserian delivery but wasn't afraid because the class I took also covered that. I bounced right back!

Fore-warned is fore-armed...be prepared!

I did not take them with any of my boys. I probably should have but just never did. I did fine without them. My oldest is 12 and youngest is 3.

I took the birthing classes and ended up having an emergency C-Section -- lots of good those classes did me...I was having contractions prior to - but no pushing...you are never prepared for what may come -- you are no longer in control :)

My hubby and I took a Bradley Class. It was very helpful. Birthing can be very tricky these days. Hospitals treat birth like a medical procedure and all their meddling leads to problems (one of the primary reasons why 1 out of 3 births are by C-section now). I highly recommend getting a doula if you don't take a birthing class. Better yet, take a birthing class and have a doula there to help you. If you don't, you may be in for the shock of your life (I was, with all the complications I needed a doula). It's a lot better to be prepared as much as possible.

You learn a LOT in those classes!

We took the one day class and found it informative and helpful. She went over the breathing and everything that was going to happen and all the different scenarios. My husband paid attention a lot in the class and it ended up being very helpful. I would suggest it.

When I had my babys they were both vaginal deliverys. the birthing classes helped me because I didn't use Pain medications. It showed me other ways to control the pain with out the meds. I had two wonderful deliverys and did use any major invasive meds. Like for instance an epidural. I used only once to get some rest a local in the IV med that didn't take the pain away but alowed me to rest better in between contractions. It also helped me and my husband get familar with what was going to happen and what to exspect.I also got to ask questions and get answers I could understand with out all the hospital lingual. hope this helps, D.

I've had three children. The first I had classes, I still didn't know what to expect when the time came.

There is a book every expecting woman should read, "Supernatural Childbirth", by Jackie Mize. I read this book a month before my third child was born...WOW what a difference. This was by far the BEST childbirth! I was ready to run a marathon after this birth.

If you are able to find this book I urge you to buy it. It goes into having children the way God meant for us to have them...PAINFREE!!! If you can get this book, you don't need the classes.

Hi!
I didn't take birthing classes, I bought a dvd from Barnes and Noble and watched it instead. I had my first daughter Dec '05...the dvd was helpful, but I couldn't ask it questions. I wish I had gone to a class for that reason alone. Good luck, and if I may, one word: epidural!! It will make your delivery so much better and it won't hurt your baby!

A.

1 / 3