Did You Relocate? Are You Happy You Did?

We have the option to relocate from the Chicago burbs to the Houston burbs. My husband's company is opening an office near Houston. He would make a little more money. I have lived here my whole life, married my high school sweetheart who is also from here, and taught here.... etc....I am now staying home with my three boys ages 1, 5, and 8. I would love a change, even if it means going somewhere where I know no one! At least I think I would. My family is small, we have no cousins for my kids to play with because we come from small families where no one but us is having kids. We don't use family for sitters, but we don't go out much either. I would miss my mom, but we are not the iconic can't live without each other mother/daughter....We had a falling out with our best friends (another couple that we spent almost every day with) about 6 years ago and haven't made a ton of new friends. I find myself longing for the "new"....Did you relocate? Was it a good thing for you and your family? What were the drawbacks? We could afford a much nicer house there and the neighborhoods we looked at online seem really wonderful and active...a good place to find new friends and become involved. Any opinions are welcomed!!! I asked about the actual area the other day and got some great responses.

Thanks so much everybody!! I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions! I will be staying at home for sure! I won't be certified to teach in Texas without going back to school which is another consideration in itself.....Please keep any relocation advice coming!!! You are helping me weigh all the options!

I didn't move out of my home state, but I moved 400 miles away from my home town.
My drawbacks are I miss my friends and the family I have left (after my parents died I left).
My pro's are we bought a nice house, it's a nice change, it's a different atmosphere, many more places to visit and get out too, higher pay rate, and the big one...my bf lived here, lol.
We were in a long distance relationship. We discussed him moving to my home town, but I decided to be the one to pack everything up, leave everything/everyone I am comfortable with and move.
I guess for me I decided to leave my hometown because I felt "stuck" there. I had a good job, but not my dream job, I always said I was going to go back to school, but never did, I had the same routine with the same places I went.
I am totally happy with my choice, and would do it all over again.
Oh I wanted to share because my SO made a good point. My biggest complaint when I moved was how hot it was in So cal compared to my home town in Nor cal. he told me after a year I would be used to it...and I swear I thought it was never going to happen....I did get used to it!
=)

Texas is not Yankee friendly. Larger cities would be more welcoming. Are you looking at the Woodlands? It looks great on paper.

Texas is so huge and it takes forever to get anywhere. You would have access to Hous ston, a plus. It costs a lot of time and money to get back home. You will miss home. It will be such a change. The money is not worth it.

Sounds to me like you already know the answer, you're just a little scared! That's understandable! So you make the move...what's the worst that could happen?? You don't like it? So move back, then! I think people think of moving as this GIANT permanent thing so they just stay where they are. Take it from someone who has moved all over the place--it's not that big of a deal! Your kids are young enough that making friends is still easy. Houston and the rest of Texas is pretty dang cool, and living in a new place really expands everyone's horizons. It's a good thing! I love my family and old friends, but I married a military man/FedEx pilot so we live on the other side of the country now. I literally knew NO ONE when we moved here. It was tough at first, but I got busy and I never thought I would say this, but I am starting to really like Memphis! One piece of advice--you're going to need to get busy and get out of the house if you want to really make this a successful move. I spent a couple of months lonely and moping until I realized I needed something for me. I went for it and I now have more friends here than I did at home! I'll message you the details about that because it would fit in great with you, your family life, Houston, and making you some friends, but I know we're not supposed to leave links in our responses.

Just want to say one more time, too, I LOVE Texas!

xoxo,
K. H.

I like change too, so I understand where you are coming from. I've moved several times, and each time I've learned something. Life is too short to live in the same place forever! BUT don't expect life to really change once you get there. It is what you make of it! No matter where you live, people are busy with their own lives and busy with their kids. I lived in TX for 13 years. I was never fond of it. I have also lived in Oklahoma, Nebraska, So California, Kansas and Colorado. We call Colorado home and love it here, but nature and the outdoors are a huge part of our life. The weather in TX is awful, but since you are from Chicago it's probably not much worse. There is little in the way of nature in TX. It's mostly concrete. I like the values there and strong Christian influence. I like how conservative it is. It is VERY cheap to buy a house, you can live large in TX for cheap. But plan on spending lots of time in your house or shopping, cause there really isn't anything else to do in Texas. I think 75% of Texas come to my state for Spring Break to snow ski. I think the reason housing is so cheap there is because people need to save money so they can leave TX as much as possible!

My husband & I moved from NY to the DFW area 5 years ago and have never regretted it! We both left our extended family up north and didn't know anyone here in TX. I admit I miss my parents, but they visit quite a bit, and always have a great time.

We have made wonderful friends here -- and the funny thing is that most people I meet aren't actually from TX, but moved here for the same reasons we did.... better jobs, better economy, etc.

Good luck with your decision - I think you'd like Houston area, it's quite beautiful. And if you do decide to go ahead and make the move - ask some of the moms from that area for some opinions on neighborhoods... I'm sure you'll get some great advice.

Sounds like the perfect opporuntity for a new adventure!

=)

I relocated to katy and i think i answered your question yesterday. and my answer is yes i did relocate and yes i am glad i did people are more friendly here than where i come from more jobs, more stores and resturants and yes i think i would do it again. where i come from i didnt have many friends and have made a ton here. but its a diffrent breed of people. i have made more friends in 6 moths than i had in 6 yrs there. :)

I say DO IT! Where we used to live, I was closer to family and honestly did not see them that often. My mom has passed and even though there were cousins for my kids, we lived 10 minutes from them and only saw them on holidays. So I certainly understand where you are coming from.
A fresh start may be exactly what you need. When my husband was presented with an opportunity to move to another state, we did our research and jumped at the chance. It was the best move we have EVER made. Our kids are so happy, we are happy, I absolutely love OUR house (if we had stayed where we were we would not have been able to buy one) we could not ask for a better neighborhood or neighbors. It has just been an all around great move for our entire family. I have more friends now then I think I ever had before (living in the same area where I grew up). Our priority was schools so we searched for a home based on the school district we liked best. You can always "Go Home Again" so take the opportunity, it may be what you are searching for.

Lots of good advice here. Because of my husband's job it's unlikely we'll ever move out of state....something I used to wish for but now that our children are in school and we have more family who have moved near us it would be hard to leave. If you are staying at home, I'd suggest looking into joining a moms group. I know the Katy area has a very active MOMS Club (www.momsclub.org) where you could meet other moms, make new friends for you and your kids and get to know the area more easily. Good luck!

1 / 3