Did You REALLY Reuse Your Child's Clothing for the Next One?

There is a HUGE consignment sale coming up and I have like 4 boxes of baby clothing from my LO that I have stored in my closet. We are wanting at least one more child in the next few years.

If you saved your previous child's clothing did you actually use it? Did you sell it when the next season rolled around?

I'm trying to figure out if I should just keep the outfits that I really love and sell the rest, sell it all or just keep storing it since space isn't really an issue with my house?

I dont' mind doing a yard sale, but this sale draws hundreds of people there and I'm pretty sure I could get rid of most of the clothing if that is what I chose to do.

TIA

Thanks so much Mama's. I am planning on saving most items and selling some at the cosignment sale. If I cosign at least 20 items I get a shopping pass to shop before the general public.

Absolutely! Especially after having 2 boys and similar seasons. I have still bought my second a few things (some for fun and some because we really did need it) but it has been a hugs cost savings! If you know you are having another, why get rid of anything that you could use again?

I did back in the late 70s. Whatever my son outgrew was kept and when my daughter came she wore the baby clothes that were not too male looking. The jeans and things she wore and then they were given away to others.

It helped all the people around because we were overseas at the time and we all shared kids clothes as someone's kids were always outgrowing something and it helped us all.

Save the specials and then part with the rest. I wish I had saved the knitted sweater dress I made my daughter. The rest was not as special.

So do what you feel comfortable doing.

The other S.

PS The only time I was upset was when I was asked to donate some clothes for a garage sale. All the clothes I put up looked brand new compared to what was there. I wanted to take mine back but I had made a commitment and left them. That was the only time I did a garage sale thing.

I reused a lot of stuff. Definitely jammies. And shorts and pants that were not showing wear and tear. Shirts or onsies I did give away or throw away if there were spit up stains etc.

Oh my, of course my kids wear hand-me-downs. I have 3 boys. Whatever survives through one kid definitely gets worn by another.

I'm 5 months right now and I have a 6 year old boy. Not sure what I am having just yet, but either way I will be using some if not all for this next baby. It's a big money saver and I only keep the stuff that was nice w/o stains.

Yep, our girls are 22 months apart so everything my 5 year old has gets handed down to her sister. Usually right after she outgrows it!

Yes, then I passed them down to others, then they passed them back to me for other grandkids, etc...if they are take care of most baby clothes can be used over and over. Onsies don't go out of style, sleepers or one piece outfits, overalls, all kinds of generic baby clothes.

There are some that do age though. Those little cotton dresses that are really short and lace covered. Ugggghhh. Those were dated in the 80's. I think that most mom's would just take care of the clothes they get and then when they are done pass them on.

But that is not to say that you are not tired of stuff and want new. That's okay too. Just be sure and weigh the value. Do you want to sell them for little of nothing? Just to get rid of them? That's all they will bring in the consignment sale. Clothes need to be priced to sell, not to make money. They will all come back home if the prices are too high. Lots of poorer people shop consignment sales and can only buy the least expensive clothes.

I usually spend about $35 at one of these and I try to buy as many items that I can. If it is more that a couple of dollars I have to pass it up.

So do what you feel comfortable doing.

The other S.

oooh heck yeah!!!

I STILL do!! Nicky is fast outgrowing his size 10's and I've got to find the box where I had stored size 12 stuff!!

Even has babies - I reused a ton of stuff!!

I have 3 boys (6, 3, and 1) and I recycle clothes for sure! I did the consignment sale last fall and was quite disappointed. It took me 8-10 hours to tag and record clothes (all GAP, Gymboree, Polo, etc) and I made about $250.

I am not planning on having another, and "got rid" of my son's clothes - basically gave them to my sister who's youngest is a little less than a year younger than mine. Now, I have a friend who's son is a few years younger that I give clothes to. If I were in your position (keep in mind I am a purger) I would go thru each box and determine what is unisex and what you HAVE to keep. My son has shadow boxes in his room of the few clothes that I LOVED while he was growing up. I have shadow boxes of all his athletic jerseys (bears, hawks) and of some of his first "rock n roll" shirts. He LOVES them hung up in his room as his wall decorations. In short if you have a boy now and have a girl next(or vice versa) and you keep it ALL you will have waisted all that storage space. If you do have the same sex child then you already have some clothes and may need to supplement in a small way. Really, what do you need for a child under a year? 5 or so onsies and a few "outfits" for going out in and some pajamas? So, I would go thru everything, keep the unisex items and favorite outfits and get rid of the rest.

1 / 3