Did You Have a Baby Shower?

If yes, did you have one for every child you had or just for the first one? Why or why not?

I had one for my first child but not for the second. No reason in particular, I just didn't.

I did for my first because she was my first and I was a single mom. I did for my second because my oldest was 5 years old and I did not have anything left baby wise. With my third my friend insisted I have one because every baby is worth celebrating. I did not feel I needed the third on because my youngest are only 18 months apart.

I only had one but had 2 boys so really didn't need anything else. I have heard of people having a second one if it's a different gender and I know that in the south it is customary to have one for each child simply as a celebration!

My first I had a party with girlfriends and another put on by co-workers. My second, my girlfriends took me out to dinner.

I had five showers for my first. Excessive, I know, but hear me out:
one at church
one for my MIL's group of friends
one each at two of my jobs, for work people only
one at DH's job

So no guest overlap.

I'm not a fan of showers for subsequent babies unless there are extenuating circumstances, but I was given a surprise meal shower for my third child last summer, and that was the Best. Thing. Ever.

I only have one child - and I did have a baby shower. I don't plan on anyone throwing me a shower for any future kids. In my opinion, it just isn't something you do...you should have most of what you need from the first...right?? Even though we plan on waiting a little while before #2, we plan on keeping all of our baby gear. Why would you need all of that stuff all over again??

If someone approached me and wanted to throw me a small "sprinkle" (what people seem to be calling subsequent showers), I wouldn't say no, but it is not something I would expect AT ALL...and I probably wouldn't register - would just say if people wanted to bring gifts we would take things like diapers, wipes, or gift cards for that type of thing. We didn't find out gender of our first and don't plan on it for future kids so we don't need clothes...if people want to buy us that when baby is born, then they can then. :-)

I did not have a shower for either of my babies. I really don't enjoy going to showers, so I didn't want to have one. I just don't think they're fun.

For my first, a group of us did gather at a friends place for lunch and to hang out towards the end of my pregnancy. A couple of friends even flew in from out of town as a surprise. But there were no games, no gifts, and nothing shower-like about it. Just a get together before the baby game, but really not a shower.

With my second, there was pretty much nothing. And that was just fine!

Four showers were thrown for me when I was pregnant with my first. No guest over lap.
I politely declined an offer from friends to host a shower for my second, it just didn't seem right.

Just the 1st. I didn't really want the 1st one, so no way I would have 2 more.

1 / 3