Diarrhea in 21 Month old...help!

**************** I HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL! THANK YOU!!*************************
no more responses needed here..=)

He is better now...thanks everyone

Have you tried pumping him with probiotics? My dr. (Union Ave. Peds)has always suggested that and we just went through a bad few days of diarrhea from some antibiotics he was taking and the probiotics really helped.

If the diaper rash is angry red with little red bumps, some of them sort of scattered around the edges of the rash, it may very well be a yeast infection. My daughter just had one and the pediatrician told me to use Lotramin cream (the generic, for athletes foot) and it has really done the trick. She said it would take a week or 10 days for it to be completely gone but after 4 days it looks MUCH better. This comes from the diaper area being so wet/damp a lot (like with diarhea).

Since all is better just want to say again BRAT diet is essential.

Also for the diaper rash a bath with baking soda works wonders.

My daughter had something similar and it was about 6 days before it cleared up - keep him away from other kiddos until he is all better because diarrhea is contagious.

JS, I was a GI nurse, unfortunately not a pediatric gi nurse, however, it sounds like your little one has contracted an intestinal virus. Like other viruses it will probably have to ride itself out, but I would still go to the dr because there are things that he can take to prevent the diarrhea but I am unfamiliar with what they give little ones and I am also unfamiliar with what little ones can or can't take over the counter. You really need to contact a pediatrician for that one.
Now.... that leads me to the diaper rash. Anytime a baby has diarrhea, it almost always leads to diaper rash because it is acidic and their little skin is so soft and virgin new. The A and D ointment alternating something that is high in zinc so it is a very thick white cream worked best for me. I forgot the names of the zincs.... something like butt paste or something like that.
Anyway, I think that he has an intestinal virus and he will be ok, but it will just be a pain for a while with the diaper rash, but I would consult a pediatrician if I were you just to make sure.

Have you tried the BRAT (bananas, white rice, applesauce and white toast)? That's what the doc told me once and it almost always clears it up if you do it for 24 hours. Those foods are easy to digest so it gives his digestion a break so it can recover. I always try this before taking my kids in. Hope he feels better soon! And just to put your mind at ease, my kids and I have all had the swine flu and it actually wasn't that bad at all. I have 24 month old twins who didn't have complications at all. They didn't even need to go to the doctor (I only took my older one in to be tested) and in a few days they were fine. Just telling you this so you're not so worried about going in to the dr if you need to.

My son got terrible diaper rash when he teethed. It started with his one-year-old molars (he hadn't had a rash before then) and was so bad that he was bleeding. And the poor thing had diarrhea every time he teethed, too, which made it all worse, of course. I've heard people say there is no correlation between teething and diarrhea, but I disagree. My son would go as many as four times a day when he was in the throws of teething. And his two-year-old molars (we're just waiting for one more!) were really bad, too. We were trying desperately to get him to go in the potty as then it would ease the diaper rash, but of course it was coming too quickly... Poor thing. Anyway, I would have to say it's teething and I've mentioned it many times before, but I stand by Aveeno Colloidal Oatmeal bath packets. Even with a bleeding bum (which always came on quite suddenly), once I coaxed my son into the water it would clear up almost immediately.

Was the nurse concerned about anything in particular?
I'd start with the BRATY diet: Bananas Rice Applesauce (no added sugar!) Toast Yogurt, it's supposed to be the best for dealing with digestive issues like after a stomach bug. There's also pedialyte, although my kids hate it (I tried and did too!) so I give Recharge or Gatorade.
My sons seem to get little viruses at least a few times a year, and I'm sure my older son would be better off with some diet changes but any issues from that are outweighed by his food issues.
I've become less quick to head to the ped, personally...for things like viruses they can't give the kid anything anyway. And our ped office seems to want to give lots of help over the phone, if yours is like that and still suggests going in then i'd go. Definately ask what their concern is that they think he should be seen by the ped.
Make sure you are clear on the signs of dehydration, and certainly take him in if your mommy gut is telling you to do so!
As for the diaper rash, my boys also got/get that very easily...all I could do was as much naked time as possible and slather on the diaper cream when they were diapered (my friend and I found Triple Paste to be particularly effective, for protection and for healing).

JS,

I don't know where you are living, but at my doctor's office right now there is hand sanitizer and masks available all over the waiting room.

I'd be taking my child in to the doctor to get him feeling better, flu scare or not. There is something making your child uncomfortable and you don't want to do anything about it because you're afraid you ***might*** get sick? I'd go the store and get my own supply of masks, and then get my son in to be seen yesterday.

Meant kindly,

the only time my daughter had bad diaper rash was when she was teething... the doctor said the extra mucus was because her saliva production was so high. We also aired her butt for about 1-2 hrs after each diaper change (figured it was "safer" then). If you're really concerned or if his butt is so raw it starts bleeding, don't hesitate to call your drs office.

Your little guy may just have a stomach bug of some sort. It's not something to be ignored, but it's not uncommon either. If he's not running a fever (and there are no other symptoms), I wouldn't worry too much; although I would stay in contact with his pediatrician and perhaps keep track of his diaper changes (how many wets and poopy's per day). If he gets a fever, if he starts getting other symptoms, or if it continues for another few days, it may be worth taking him into the doctors office. I'm VERY pregnant too (38 weeks) and have been nervous about the flu viruses this year as well, so I understand your concern there. If you need to take him to the doctors, just take the precautions of wearing a mask (it may look silly, but would you rather look silly or take the risk?), washing your and your sons hands frequently and bringing your hand sanitizer gel with you and use it diligently.

As for the meantime, I suggest getting some Pedialite for your son so his body can rehydrate from the loss of electrolytes. I also highly recommend getting some probiotics to help his digestive system rebuild the protective layer of healthy/good bacteria to help fight off the bad bacteria that's taking over right now. Probiotics are actually something that are really great for all children to take regularly (as well as omegas/fish oils). You can get it from yogurt (look on the label to make sure it contains >active< cultures, as some do not) or other foods high in natural probiotics (you can do lots of research online), or you can purchase a supplement. Unfortunately most probiotic supplements are not active as they claim, so I highly recommend using the Pharmax HLC probiotics brand, as they are proven to be one of the best available. For kids, they have the options of straws (which don't taste like anything), or you can just get the powder to mix in a drink or apple sauce or another soft food. (If you decide to go for omegas/fish oils too, I suggest either Nordic Naturals or Carlson's, as they're both rated the highest in quality and standards for no mercury's, PBA's, etc.)

I also suggest using the A&D ointment (that you can get at your local grocery store) for his diaper rash too. If you apply a generous amount at each changing, it should protect his skin from the acids in the diarrhea to prevent future rashes. While he has a rash, the best thing to use to clean it is a cool and soft rag with NO soaps on it - just water. The soaps (from wipes, etc.) will irritate his skin more and likely cause a bit of pain while you're cleaning him up. Airing his bum when you can (as you've been doing), should also help get rid of his current rash.

Best of luck to you!!! And BREATH! He WILL be OK. :o)

(P.S. Congratulations on your new little one!!!)

-----------------

I just saw your note that he's doing better now. (It wasn't visible in the initial window) Yay!! :o)

1 / 3