Diarrhea - Collinsville,OK

OK, I have a question...plus need to vent. My 16 month old son has had VERY bad diarrhea for 7 days now. Started out with vomit, no fever and then watery green runs 2-3 times p/ hour for a week. I consulted my ped on fri because I thought surely it should have ran its course by now (plus he projectile vomited all over the car fri. morning). He is getting pretty miserable (plus a sore butt). He has been drinking Pedialite really good so he hasn't got dehydrated...yet!

I told the doc we have been here before and it ended up in the ER w/ an IV in the HEAD! He did blood work and said it was a virus. Told me there is nothing to do. I know they want the bug to work its way out, but they truly said they aren't conserned w/ diarrhea and if he needs an IV he needs an IV, it may get to that.

OK, sorry for the background. I like this Ped. in the past because he doesn't coddle the parents. He tells me what needs to be done and that is that. I am by far not an overreactor. I guess I have gotten what I asked for, but when should I start to be concerned about the diarrhea.

Also, If anyone has any ideas besides the BRAT (bananas, Rice, applesauce and toast) diet, yogurt, and fluids I would appreciate it.

I wasn't very clear on the BRAT diet. I have been told to do that, but have never given my kids applesauce for diarrhea. I think it is common knowledge that applejuice loosens their stools, so I ASSumed that applesauce wasn't a good thing. I gave him about 3 bananas yesterday and finally got some consistency to his stool before he went to bed. He still has it, but hopefully we are on the down side!! As for the diaper rash, I have changed him the instant each explosion happens so it hasn't gotten that bad, just a little red and pretty sore! I am shocked at that!!
Thanks for all the responses.

Best Diaper Rash treatment:
1:1:1 ratio of desitin, aquapor, eucerin cream. Mix it up good and keep it in a container....works amazing!
(recommended by doctors at the local hospital)

Help for the sore butts! Aquaphor! It is an amazing cream. It was originally created for radiation treatments. It is the only thing I have ever had to use on my DDs. It can be found at walmart in the pharmacy area and at Target. It really is better than any other product on the market for tender little butts.
It looks like vasaline (sp?) but has other stuff like vitamin E in it and really works wonders for rashes and dry skin!

make sure and keep plenty of pedialite, in drink, popcicles or whatever this has no sugar which should help the diarreah. As the pediatrician about something to stop the runs. They got everything else. They do have a lot of viruses going around and the babies really suffer. They have a sign at the hospital er that reads......IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A FEVER, GO HOME AND CALL YOUR PRIMARY CAREGIVER. So, hang in there Mom and tell me what you try

Queen

The yogurt will help replenish the good bacteria in your sons colon. I do agree though, if it's a virus there isn't much they can do other than treat the symptoms with what you are doing. Keep him hydrated as best you can, my daughters raw bum tolerated a warm oatmeal soak in the bathtub... ;)

First stop the applesauce!!!!Then go see another doctor like maybe even the er.This sounds to me like more than a little virus.I'm a volunteer firefighter and have some knowledge on this but friends of mine have more.I really would go see someone else soon about this.If it was just a week ok but not this long.Just keep pushing fluids and bananas are good to constipate but be careful,they cause cramps and bloating too. Also is there any new foods he ate maybe he's allergic to something?

M.-
It sounds like you are on the recovery process, but just wanted to share one thing with you. Just before my son turned 2, he suffered extreme diarrhea for 7 straight days. At times, explosive. I was very concerned. My pediatrician told me to try the "happy meal diet". Pretty simple, get him a happy meal and push the french fries! The fat and grease in the french fries coats their stomachs. Not to mention, he enjoyed it. After a few happy meals, he was back to normal. I was shocked to hear this advice, but even more shocked at how quickly it worked.

I don't tend to be a mom that over-reacts myself. But with 7 DAYS of diarrhea and vomiting....I would be getting concerned.
1. I would go and get a second option. It you are uncomfortable with what your Ped has said, there is nothing wrong with second option. Doctors can make mistakes too.
2. For the diarrhea...This sounds crazy, but it might work (I have used it on dogs when they have the runs). You might want to try giving him canned pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie filling (that has to much sugar), but just plain, nothing added, canned pumpkin. It can really help get things regular again. If the issue is diarrhea, it will help firm it up...if the issue is constipation, it can help get things moving again. I would try giving him some multiple times a day with his meals/snacks.
Good luck!! And I hope he gets better soon.

I would stop the applesauce immediately that tends to give kids diarrhea. When diarrhea occurs in my house we stop any foods that tends to be acidic because they tend to make the bottom sore with the diarrhea-also resinol is an awesome ointment to use for rashes! I wouldn't be too worried if he is drinking plenty of fluids. Also I have noticed with my own children that drinking too much of something also makes the diarrhea worse. Good Luck to you!

have him tested for food allergies. My son was having some of the same issuses when he was about this age and i demanded him be tested for MILK allergy and sure enough that was it. So maybe he is having some type of food allergy and that has to be done by a blood test. Good luck and hope you find out what is wrong..........

PS......... ROTO virus....if that is it, it is very contagious.... bleach your toys and everything he touches..... your daughter could get it too........ the symptoms sound like that also...... as long as he is drinking dont be worried...if he dont eat it is ok....as long as he is drinking.......
good luck.........

For our grandson (now almost 4) from the time he was an infant, his pediatrician told us to get Culturelle, it is an over the counter diareah med for babies thru adults. Add 1/2 capsule into glass of water or Pedialite type drink once in the morning and once in the evening. Don't give any drinks with high fructose corn syrup or sugar or milk while he has diareah (no dairy products except yogurt). For the rash or chafing, get Paladin Ointment, it's not prescription, but you have to ask the pharmacist for it at the store. It will clear it up quickly. Hope he is feeling better soon. :)

1 / 3