Diaper Rash with Bumps?

My 21 month old has developed a bad diaper rash today. It is little red bumps and she says it itches. Is this a yeast infection? she does not have a discharge. I use A&D ointment on her but this does not seem to be helping. We battle diaper rash any time I introduce something new. She had one two weeks ago because I thought I could switch her to lactose-free milk from soy but that did not work so we are back to soy. i have been adding some chocolate mix to it so she would drink more milk. Maybe that is it.
Any one had this happen to their baby before? If it is yeast do i need to get a prescription from the doctor?

I laid off of the milk today(Thursday) and the rash seems much better. Just on her buttocks and not too bad. I did give her the organic milk, since this is what my oldest drinks but she had a terrible rash with it. I think I will have to go back to just regular vanilla soy like we have been doing. I am going to try the yeast cream tommorrow.Update Sunday- I used the monistate cream 4% several times and it worked great. Also laid off the chocalte milk and went back to just vanilla soy milk. Now I know for sure she can't handle regular milk. She has to be a little lactose intolerant. Makes since because all of my husband;s family is.Thanks to to everyone!!

T.,

This sounds like a yeast infection, they wont have any discharge like we do when we get one. I have 3 girls and this sounds like what their yeast infections did when they would get one. She needs some nystatin cream. You will have to take her to the Dr to get it, cant buy it over the counter. Good luck.

My little girl has gotten bad diaper rash usually around teething. The dr. gave an antifungal cream called Nistatin (i think that's how it's spelled.) A friend said her dr. said you could also use a mild lotion with Lotrimin powder sprinkled on top. The powder is also used for athlete's foot, so I guess the antifungal propertiess are what's key.

I let her run around and nap w/out her diaper to air her out.

good luck

Hi T., My daughter had the same kind of rash. The Dr. did give me a prescription for vusion & it worked great!.. but I also bought " Triplepaste" from walgreens or cvs It works just as good!! and that is all I use now.

T.,
I believe your daughter’s rash is from a yeast infection, even without discharge. A&D ointment won’t fix it because you have to treat it internally. You can however go ahead and use vagiseal in place of the ointment topically for comfort. My kids got a few yeast infections when they were younger. It happens especially if they have had antibiotics in the last 6 months to 1 year! When we put them on antibiotics, it kills the good and bad bacteria in their intestinal tract. You have to rebuild the good bacteria back. Many people recommend yogurt from the store. However many over the counter yogurt have dead cultures of Acidophilus (the good bacteria). SO… go to the health food store. You can buy capsules of Acidophilus, or for children they have something called Premadophilus (designed for children in loose powder forum). The capsules still work because you can open them and slip it in juice or milk. Do this for about 2 weeks even after symptoms go away. You will have to refrigerate this product. I keep some on hand at all times and any time we have been on antibiotics I give this for a couple of weeks after. I have had success with this with my 4 children and myself and now my husband’s grandma also!!! Let me know if I can help you with any other questions! I will be MORE than happy to help!!! Best of luck!!!! P.S. I also use this if we have low immune systems. Also, I don’t recommend any Soy product to children, people with Thyroid challenges or anyone that has had cancer!!! I use rice products instead. I can’t figure out why people still recommend soy. It’s a very high allergen for children and cause complications for adults with those other challenges. Stay away from soy on a regular basis if you can!
A. :o)

My baby boy had a diaper rash also with little red dots. My doctor told me to give him probiotics (there is a kind that says CHILDRENS on it at the healthfood store)
Within 2 days it was completely gone and has never returned, I still give him the probiotics everyday.

Watch the soy milk. Soy products really are not good unless they are fermented, like tofu, misu and tempeh.

Also keep the SUGAR down in your babys diet. Cut out the chocolate for sure. Yeast THRIVES off of sugar.

Medication is always the first option it seems for everything. Being into natural health I believe in CURING the REASON for the issue instead of just covering it up. My doctor is a MD with a holistic backround as well. That situation with the diaper rash proved to me that natural remedies can cure a lot of problems.

Hope it goes away soon!

Well, first for a regular diaper rash my pediatrican recommended mixing Maalox with cornstarch, it is very soothing and does not hurt. It should have be the consistency of elmer's glue.
2nd, the rash you describe could possibly be impetaigo. My son had it, and was treated w/ a topical antibiotic.

Try Triple Paste. It has no burning effects and soothes right away. Most rashes are gone in just a few hours. Also my daughter told me she just tried the stuff by Aveeno (less costly than Triple Paste) and it worked wonders on her son. Some children are more susceptible to diet changes than others. I never went through it but two of my grandchildren get a rash any time a new food is introduced. The allergist told my daughter not to worry unless that particular food does it every time the child eats it.

Yes, this sounds like a yeast infection, my daughter had the same. Your pediat. will probably give you a prescription. Also it is good to give her plain yogurt.

good luck

It certainly can't hurt to give Lotrimin a try, that's what a doctor told us to use before. I have it on hand all the time as the kids still get yeast infections even elsewhere on their little bodies (like face). Good luck!

I wouldn't suggest giving chocolate to young kids...in the hopes to get them to "like" milk. My daughter hasn't drank a lot of milk since the switch from bottle to cup...she said it's not where it belongs...so finally, buying a straw bowl and having her sip it with her cereal is what got her excited about drinking milk again. She eats enough cheese, yogurt, etc. for calcium to not be an issue...The diaper rash...have your pediatrician look at it. I recommend aquaphor (even the generic aquaphor works). Also, after diaper changes, we always dried with a clean washcloth after wiping with a wet wipe as to not keep moisture in the diaper. Our twins are 3 now and potty training...so I'm hoping to be over this hurdle soon and I hope my advice helps some. God bless you.

1 / 3