Diaper Rash - Baytown,TX

My 1 1/2 year old son has had a diaper rash around his genital area for about a month now. I have taken him to the Doctor and got a prescription ointmet finished it and it still wont go away. Also I have bought about every diaper rash cream at the store and nothing seems to work. Has anybody had this problem? Any advice on what I can do?

corn starch! I know it sounds funny but it works very very well. Just sprinkle it all over. My sons entire area was red and swollen and it was gone in one day!

I used this cream that I brought back from Colombia, it is called Hipogloss and it is an amazing cream. It work almost instanly. To me it was like a miracle, because I too used everything but nothing seem to help my son. Dr. Smith's did work for a little bit, but that is all. It did not take the rash away for good, like Hipogloss did.
Best of luck to you!!!

If you have a private space, try giving the area some direct sun and air for about 10-15 min. each day.

My daughter had bad diaper rashes too. She drank A LOT of water, so she was almost always wet. I would slather on Butt Paste brand, then give a heavy dusting of corn starch based baby powder. If that didn't work, I would let her run around bare skinned for a while. This helped with potty training, because when she would go #1, I would say "UH OH! That goes in the potty!" We had ceramic tile then, so it was ok. This might be harder if you have carpet. But air on bare skin is the best cure for diaper rash. It sounds primitive and crazy, but it's completely natural. Also, you might want to look at a more natural option for diapers. Sometimes the diaper's gel (which is a synthetic chemical) can cause that sensitive area to get roughed up! Although more natural diaper options cost a little more, isn't it worth it in the end?
Good luck to you! You are a fantastic mother!

M. Pinilla

I have 3 kiddos, and each of my kids has a different way of getting rid of diaper rash crea. **PURE CORN STARCH **DR.SMITHS CREAM ** AND THE OTHE JUST LETTING HER AIR OUT WITH NO DIAPER... I hope this works out for you!

I found some stuff called Corona (not the beer, this is in a yellow tube and/or tub). It sounds crazy, but I buy it at Tractor Supply. It is a lanolin based ointment and the stuff works wonders for diaper rash. My daughter would have diaper rashes to the point of bleeding and nothing would ever clear them up. However, this stuff seemed to do the trick. I now use it on our son and when he does get them they are there for a day max!

Best of luck to you!!!

it might be a yeast infection... one of my boys has one currently as a result of the antibiotics he was just on... the doc prescribed some ointment for that, but in the past (with my daughter) we have also used a mixture of lotrimin a/f and hydrocortisone cream...just squeeze a little out of both tubes into your finger and apply to the affected area... hers cleared up, and it was nothing short of horrible by the time we started this method... her pediatrician recommended it... it may work for you

Bathe him in a small amount of vinegar and warm water several times a day. And let him run around without a diaper for a short period of time after the bath to allow the area to dry and get fresh air to the area.

Hi E.,

Have you tried putting carmex on him.Yes, the type they sell for dry lips. It has worked for me and other mothers I know. Try it and hopeffuly it works.

I feel your pain...my son used to get the worst diaper rash...here's a hodgepodge of tricks that worked for me.

1. Stop using diaper wipes...even the "natural care" ones were too much once he had a rash (but they seemed to reduce the number of times he got it). When he had a rash, I used a baby washcloth with plain warm water.

2. Make sure he is completely dry before rediapering. When I couldn't just let him go bare-bottom, I'd use a blow-dryer, set on cool of course, to dry his bottom after I washed it. He loved that (he's seven now and still enjoys blow-drying his butt after a bath!).

3. Balmex was the only rash cream that worked for us...the others were too thick and it irritated more when I spread them on...the Balmex was creamier and spread easily without pressure that hurt him.

4. For some reason, Huggies worked the best for us...some of the cheaper brands (White Cloud...Wal-mart) caused more rashes...even Pampers just wasn't absorbent enough to keep the moisture away from his skin. The basic problem was fit...the other brands rubbed on him when he moved, but something about the cut of the Huggies created a little gap between his bottom and the diaper. Of course, kids that a built differently might fit a different brand brand better...experiment!

5. Oatmeal baths...I used a variety...the best were the natural flakes you put in a mesh bag and soaked in the bath water.

6. Experiment with foods. It took a while but I finally figured out that tomatoes were a huge problem for him...something about the acid I think. Figured it out one day when he managed to smear ketchup all over his face...when I wiped it off, his skin was red everywhere the ketchup touched...it went away in about an hour, but when it came out the other end, it caused a similar red rash on his bottom that didn't go away as quickly (probably because of the diaper restricting airflow).

7. When he had a rash that was especially "hot" (inflamed red patches) and painful to the touch, I tried spritzing witch hazel on his bottom after cleaning (and before blow drying)...didn't seem to do anything for the rash but made him more comfortable.

1 / 3