Diaper Rash - Reading,PA

Good Morning Ladies -
I'm hoping you may have some suggestions for me. I have a 7 month old girl who has a really bad case of diaper rash. I've done everything - put desitin on her, changed her diaper at least every hour but it still won't go away. Any suggestions on what else I can do for her? She screams every time I go to change her.

Thank you!

First off, thank you ladies so much for all of your responses. I took her back to the doctor on Sunday and he told me to put Lotrimin AF on her twice a day and to put this triple paste on her that you can buy at Walmart. It's finally starting to clear up - very slowly.

Take her to the doctor. The doctor will give her a prescription for a diaper rash cream - you cannot get it over the counter. She will be cleared up in approximately 2 days. Believe me this thing works like magic - my son had the same problem.

Corn starch baths really do help. Put quite a bit into the bath with the water. Also, my pediatrician once recommended adding a little antacid liquid to the diaper rash cream, since it is the acidity in the poops that make the diaper rash so much worse.

Try Lotrimin Ultra. It works every time. Just use it every time you change her diaper. Then let her "air out" for a little while at night, maybe before you put her to sleep.

The absolute best thing you can do is... put her in a bath with some baking soda. Pat her bum dry and then (I know this will sound weird, but I ABSOLUTELY swear by it!) rub crisco (the lard kind, not liquid and make sure it's not the butter kind because that has salt in it and it will sting her chapped bum). When my pediatrician asked what I used for diaper rash, I was so embarrassed to tell her Crisco. When I did, she said that she was so happy to find a parent that used it! She said it was the best. It will take a couple of days to heal up, so make sure you change her often. Another thing with the crisco, you don't have to necessarily rub it all over her bum....just put a fair amount in the area needed and her bum (because it is chapped) will be a higher temp. and will eventually get the crisco where needed. It's one of the cheapest diaper rashes out there and I swear to you that it works. I believe I got it out of the baby's best foods book (purple book for making your own baby food). Good luck!

Mom of 3 boys 11, 9, and 4

That happened to me once with my youngest. I had always used A&D ointment and of course one time it didn't work. So I asked my friend (she was a nurse at Childrens Hospital in Ohio) for a suggestion and she told me that at the hospital they used pinxav (pronounced pink salve). I found it at Giant Eagle, but I had to ask for it at the Pharmacy counter. 1 2oz pot lasts a long time and I only had to pay $2.50. (FYI the last time I bought it was at least 5 yrs ago and I still have some!!) Try it, it works great!! Good luck

i use to soak my 1st daughter in corn starch..i swear by a sample i got at the ped. dr cooks diaper rash cream..maybe let it air out with nothing on it..make sure it is a diaper rash and not a fungle infection..with my daughter i have to use lotrimin af...and i figured i was treating the wrong thing..sometimes the sweating under the diaper causes the fungial infection..try different diapers also

Put about a tablespoon of baking soda in the bath tub and let her soak in it at bath time. Use that while she has any skin rashes and that will usually do the trick.

I have been a RN working with Moms and babies for 12yrs. This remedy was actually given to my by a grandmother of an infant in our NICU.

Bag Balm worked for us. It is like lanolin. Bottom line is though, you HAVE to make sure her skin is completely dry before applying anything or you are trapping moisture between her skin and the ointment. Let her be naked for a short period after each diaper change.

Hi T.!

My youngest used to get the worst diaper rashes...so bad in fact, that she would have what appeared to be welts and even bleed when I wiped her during a diaper change! My pediatrician told me that when it won't clear up with regular diaper rash creams, to use Lotrimin AF (he explained that females can get fungal infections from the constant moisture). It was heartbreaking to hear her scream when I would try to change her so I took his advice and everytime I used it, the rash would be gone within a day or two. My youngest is now 5 but my friend's 7 month old daughter just went through the same problem. She had it so bad that she would also bleed when they would try to clean her. I told her what worked for me and sure enough, she informed me that she tried it too and she couldn't believe how fast it cleared up. Good luck!

Have you tried giving her a warm bath with Aveeno Oatmeal Baby bath, I use that when my daughter has a sever diaper rash then then when she gets out I put A & D or a clear petrolum jelly on her or even Balmex and it clears it right up-very little water enough to cover her up to her legs or a little above her belly and one packet of the bath and it does wonders-

Also at night when she goes to bed I would change my daughters diaper put a vaseline type cream on or even vaseline (per our peditrican) and then I would put like Destin on top of it to keep an oil base on first and it says on all night and works all night. It works great,

I hope this helps~ Good Luck and I hope your little one feels better soon

1 / 3