Diaper Rash!

Aaah! Our 10mo. old daughter has finally gotten her first bout of diaper rash and it's AWFUL!!! All of a sudden just appeared today when it was fine only a few hours earlier. We didn't really add any new things to her diet so I'm wondering what might have caused it. It is SUPER red and now when we change her diaper, she just wails and literally shakes in pain. It's so sad to watch her go through this. What do you recommend and are there any natural things I can do short of letting her airdry? Should we use wipes or no? How long should I expect this to last?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

M.,

I didn't read any of the responses so I hope I am not repeting. Do not use wipes. Use instead soft baby washcloths-get them wet with warm water. Then you can throw in the washer. I set up a changing area in the bathroom so I have acces to a sink and a stack of washcloths. Also you can put neosporin on and then Desitin over the neosporin, for my daughter it works wonders.

I know you've gotten lots of goog advice, but wanted to throw my two cents in too. My doc recemmended putting some baking soda in the bath with no soap. This helped tons. Just be careful it's not a yeast infection. It's hard to tell the difference but if you do not see any improvement at all after just 1 day of the diaper rash cream then it's probably a yeast infect. and you'll need to see the doc. good luck!!!

No wipes! OUCH! Just soak her little behind in the sink filled with luke warm water. Use the baby Avalon Organics Soothing Zinc Diaper Balm...that does the trick every time for my 15 month old baby. We also use Calendula cream. Usually diaper rash is a yeast infection of some sort. If she is not allergic to something new (like dairy etc.) then it may be sugar in her diet? Hold up on the fruits a bit? Just a thought. Good luck! Ow! Also, if you have cloth diapers, interchange those with diposable (7th generation).

My mother-in-law taught me the best trick ever. She browned corn starch in a pan and then put it in an old sock, tied off the end and then she used the corn starch on my sons rash like a power puff. His rash was gone in no time.
The corn starch has no additives in it to worsen the rash and it soaks up any moisture so the rash dries out much quicker.
The corn starch does tend to get everywhere if you don't put the sock in a container. I used an old butter dish to keep it in. I kept it near his changing station so I had it handy.
When we would go somewhere I would put the sock in a zip lock bag or kept it in the butter dish if I had the lid to it.
I hope this helps... it worked wonders for me (my son had constant rashes before we figured out that he was mildly allergic to fruit.)
Another thing that might help is feeding her yogurt with acidophlis (sp?) in it. Acidopholis has a natural bacteria in it that helps to balance the natural PH in our intestines, which is why most babies get rashes.
Good luck! It used to just break my heart when my son would shake because of the pain. It was awful. But after doing one or the other or both that I mentioned his rash would be gone in a day or so. (he did not respond well to regular diaper rash meds because they have perfume or other unnatural irritants in them.)
Again... good luck, hope all goes well.

Oh M., I feel terrible for your baby (and for you). I can give you some really good advice that I use personally (don't ask!) First and foremost, DO NOT USE WIPES. They are so soaked in chemicals and really add to the problem, even if they are supposed to be gentle and painless. They're not. What's really important is to keep the area clean and dry. That stuff is quite caustic, and will eat away at the skin. I have found only one way to clean with as little pain as possible. I use a little baby wash and a very wet and soft washcloth. You can also use cotton balls with soap and water. Water alone is great until the rash sets in. Then just water hurts, and regular soap hurts even more. Baby soap is much gentler, and it really helps. Once the area is clean, give the skin a chance to air out, and don't put the diaper on a tush that's not completely dry. BTW, I never used wipes on my kids, and I never used disposable diapers. Unless there was poop involved, I used simple clear water and cotton balls. I changed a diaper at the first sign of being wet or messy, which is often not done with plastic diapers. Remember, even if the wetness is absorbed, there is still an awful lot of bacteria that can irritate sensitive skin. I can honestly tell you that my kids never had a bit of diaper rash. But I know first hand how horrible it can be. I'm glad you're reaching out for help. Your daughter is better off for it. So good for both of you. :) Good luck to you.

This might sound strange, but it works really well. When my daughter was a baby (she's 2 now) she got really bad diaper rashes whenever she started to cut a new tooth. At the advice of my sister-in-law who has 2 older boys, I used monistat cream (the kind for yeast infections). You just put it on like any other diaper cream and it clears up the rash really fast. I know how horrible it can be to watch your child in so much pain! The other cream I still use for a sore bottom/private area is Calendula Cream (Weleda brand is best) this is a more natural product for mild diaper rash that will help heal the tender skin. I usually would put this on about every few diaper changes in small amount just to keep the rashes away.
I know the monistat sounds strange, but it works because diaper rashes are caused by yeast build up...it's the same bacteria that causes yeast infections in us. The cream is mild enough for even a very sore bottom.
Airing out is also a great idea!

Had the same problem with my daughter, she had a prescription it was so bad. Dr. said to use clean washcloths, no wipes (they sting the skin when it's like that) and NOT to use Desitin or any of the other brands. The dr. reccommended Boudroux's Butt Paste or Dr. Smith's, they are both at Target and I have been using them for years. Destin just seemed to make it worse and the dr. confirmed that, never used it again afterwards. If gets too bad you should take her to the dr. if you can.

Ok, usually I read through responses so I can make sure I'm not telling you what someone else has already said...but you have way too many responses to do that! :)

Two things, first, my little girl is prone to yeast, and the pediatrician said that if she is spotting in the front (as opposed to the back area) that it is probably a little yeast and to smear some lotrimin on there.

Second, if it is diaper rash, my son had the worst, he'd get scabs. Either wash them under the tub faucet or rinse your wipes in warm water (this created a disposable wash cloth for me). Then create your own paste mixing aquaphor, desitin, & neosporin. I keep my mix in a small tupperware bowl. Just mix equal parts of each, a little bit goes a long way. Aquaphor is a burn cream, so it probably isn't with other baby products, but you should be able to find it in the first aid section or just ask the pharmacist if you can't find it. Or another thing we really like, and use more than anything else is bagbalm. We smear it on both our kids to create a barrier to help protect their skin. When it gets really bad I make sure to have my kids soak in the tub at least once everyday.

Good Luck, I hope it gets better soon

I can only recommend what I know. So My daughter is 5 1/5 months and this happened to her. She was fine in the morning when I changed her and when I gave her a bath she was fine. Then in the afternoon I found a really red rash on her bottom. I cleaned it really well with a sensitive baby wipe. Then put a layer of diaper rash cream on it. and then powder her bottom a little. I did this for about 2 days and it cleared up just fine.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

M.,

We use the Desitin Creamy. When my daughter get her diaper rash it's worse. Open sores and angry red everywhere. The Creamy type comes in a mostly blue box and doesn't have the medicinal stink of the regular Desitin. And, it's a LOT easier to put on that sore bottom than the regular stuff.

With her it can clear up anywhere between a couple of days and a week or more. It all depends on how often the cream is reapplied. When Hubby and I are on the same page and slather her up at every diaper change until there is no more red it goes away faster. If we skip or think that she doesn't need it it takes longer.

Hope this helps,

1 / 3