Diaper Rash - Mooresville,NC

Hi everyone I need some advice. My daughter is 3 1/2 months old and she is really really red in the front and the back. It is right where her diaper is but it is only on the outside. When she goes pee pee or poops she screams her head off. I have tried Desitin but when I put that on her she also screamed like it burned her. What should I do? thanks in advance for any advice.

First, I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I went and bought some A&D ointment and it seems to work. We discovered that she has sensitive skin and was allergic to the diaper wipes that my mother bought. I went and purchased some baby wipes for sensitive skin and it is working. thanks again

It sounds like yeast infection. Stop the diaper rash cream! It is painful. She needs a yeast cream that only a doc can prescribe. It will only get worse if not taken care of.

Try boudreaux's butt paste. I have a 2 1/2 month old and he has very sensitive skin and it doesn't seem to bother him at all and it clears up any redness very quickly.

M., there is an old remedy of applying corn starch to the affected area. This might be worth a try.

hello,
Gold Bond Baby Powder works really well and it is cornstarch based. But I would recommend you take her to her DR. it might be something else going on .
Good luck , I know it is hard to see your child in pain.

hi it might be a yeast infection..my daughter got one when she was little and the dr prescribe vusion sp? and it worked wonders..hope this helps

Let her air out as much as possible - without a diaper on. Put a towel down and lay her on it for awhile. The rash needs time to heal. When you do have a diaper on her (and I would try switching brands - my oldest had a reaction like this to Pampers) use Butt Paste cream and put the cream on the diaper instead of the baby, then you don't have to risk hurting her while rubbing it on. The contact of the diaper to skin will automatically put it on her. If this continues, be sure to take her into the doctor as it may be different kind of rash that she'll need prescription cream for. Good luck - kiss the baby and enjoy her.

My best advice is to check the baby wipes you are using. I had to literally switch my baby girls wipes because they too irritated her and she got a bad rash from them along with either the baby soaps or shampoos I had used. I literally had to take them out one by one just to see what caused it, just like you do with food allergies. It was the wipes. I went to a brand with no perfumes or dyes or whatever and we haven't had that problem since. Sometimes it may be the diapers too as I have learned. And if she drinks certain juices that cause dirrehea then it will also irrate her. I used a nice hot bath that she could stand with aveeno baby soap on her bottom and let it air dry and put either diaper rash ointment, vaseline, and later when it was almost healed I used baby powder to keep it dry. It healed fast. Let them go without a diaper too for a couple of hours a day helps also.Good luck sweetie.

We had great results using Dr. Iron's Buttocks Cream. Your pediatrician has to give you an Rx, it's something they mix up in the pharmacy but it works very quickly! We called it the Magic Butt Cream. Good luck!

My SIL had this with her son (including screaming when "going" and also when getting cream on), and she ended up having to switch to cloth diapers, because he was allergic to all the disposables she used, and nothing -- I mean *nothing* she tried worked. Eventually, she was able to use Kroger brand disposables.

If switching brands of disposables doesn't help, or you don't want to go to cloth (I use cloth -- it's not that bad -- check out clothdiaper.com for prefolds which are the cheapest way to go, and TLCare.com for nylon [not vinyl] diaper pants), other things you may want to try include:

-letting her go without a diaper
-a diaper rash cream or ointment with prescription nystatin or some other anti-fungal (my pharmacy makes that up all the time)
-changing her diaper as soon as she goes, and washing her off with water every time
-olive oil or vitamin E oil on the rash
-change of diet (if she's on formula, maybe switch brands; if she's breastfed, see if you can discover is anything you eat makes any change in her diaper rash)

1 / 3