Diaper Leakage Problem on 18 Month Old

Starting about a week ago, my son's diapers are leaking like crazy. I have to change his shorts 3-4 times a day because they get SOAKED! When he was a baby we tried Huggies and his mattress sheet was always wet, then we switched to Pampers Cruisers which have been working fine. I generally change his diaper every 2-4 hours during the day. He's 18 months old, 37.5 inches tall and weighs 33 pounds. I went up a size in his Cruisers diapers to size 6, but am still having the same problem. Today I bought Huggies Snug and Dry, size 6, to see if they will work but I'm not feeling very hopeful. He is drinking more because it is summer, but I still don't think this should be happening. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them!

We had a similar problem with my son a few months ago - he was leaking through his diapers at night CONSTANTLY. Someone at my husband's job suggested we use these things called "Diaper Doublers". They look similar to a maxi pad (no sticky side though) and you just put them inside the diaper to help absorb the extra fluid. I have only been able to find them in Stop & Shop, but they are very inexpensive (around $3 or $4 for 30 of them) and totally worth it. We use them every night and haven't had a leak since!

Begin to potty train him he is a big boy now. Put him in an overnight diaper/pull up for trips away from home like when you take him to the store to buy him a potty.

Hi JB,
I also had problems with both Huggies and Loves. When I first had my Son, I thought that I had to buy the most expensive diapers. He was leaking nightly while using the huggies supreme. I switched to Loves, but did not really like them, most of all because they were scented. I tried Target's brand of diapers and was amazed at how well they worked for the price. They are not leak proof, but they worked much better than the Huggies and at a fraction of the price. I used them from the time he was a year until 2 1/2 when he became potty trained. They are certainly worth a try

I had a similar problem, and switched diapers to LUVS, which worked fine for a time,

But long story short it kept happening,

Ironically, during that time i had another baby, and due to a chrionic rash on the baby I switched to cloth diapers

http://www.gdiapers.com/

I use the cloth diapers with a prefold cloth insert and a Doubler insert which workes GREAT never had a leak since.

needless to say he is finally potty trained, and my little guy, we call the WIZZER, is leak free.

M

Try Pampers baby dry(or Luvs.) I think they work much better! I only used the swaddlers, then baby dry because I had the same problem with the crusiers. (I also had the same problem with the huggies...did not like them at all!)A grilfriend of mine also switched from cruisers to baby dry because of the same situation.

I have twin 19 month old boys and we go through diapers like crazy. I have always loved the Kirkland brand diapers (found at costco). we have had the least problems with those and they obviously come in bulk, so it saves us time and money. When it is hard for me to get to costco, i always use Huggies Natural Fit (the snug and dry always leaked for me also). I love that brand also.
hope this helps.
Best of luck with it!

My son is about the same age and weight as yours. I have found Pampers Baby Dry to work pretty well. During the day he is fine but he does tend to leak at night if he sleeps through. I also didn't have much luck with Huggies or the the cruisers. Good luck!

I recently bought the new pampers...they're extra absorbant...also try the Diaper Doublers...it's almost like a maxi pad, just a strip of absorbant 'stuff' you put right on the diaper...they should work til this stage passes. This happened to both of my kids and I expect it will with our 3rd, who is 14 months.

Consider a trip to your pediatrician if this doesn't stop. This happened to my son at 23 months, and I couldn't understand why.. then he started passing out. He was always very healthy so I knew something was wrong. He ended up in ICU for a week and diagnosed with diabetes. I'm not saying that is what is going on with you, but better safe than sorry. Drinking excessively and urinating constantly are signs of diabetes, so don't ignore it if it keeps happening.

You could try putting one of those diaper covers over the Pampers - the kind you'd use over a cloth diaper. There are lots of brands, Bumkins is one.

1 / 3