Diaper Changing Struggle with 11 Month Old!

Hi, I wonder if anyone has ideas or suggestions to help me keep my 11 month old daughter still while I change her diaper! She is always trying to get away when I am trying to change her diaper. Not so bad if it is not poopy, but can be a big problem if is is! She has also started to reach down to grab herself while I am trying to clean her. I do try to have interesting toys or objects handy to give her, but most of the time it doesn't distract her long enough. I do not use a changing table, but I have an area on a twin bed that is in her room, that I use, so the changing spot is not confining at all. Thanks for any suggestions!

My little guy squirms all over too. I learned that if I let him have his rubber ducky he is pretty pacified through the QUICK change.

My 11 month old does the SAME thing...AHHHH! I find a spot where he can stand up and change him that way. I think it makes him feel more "in control". I put a book or a toy in front of him so he's distracted. Hope this helps a little...Happy Changing.

My son loves digital camera/phone but he always put them to mough. So I tied a ribbon/rubber band to digital camera or cell phone (kids love these). I bite tightly on the ribbon while the phone or camera hanging around infront of my son face (good enough for them to grab without roll over and put them in his mouth...). It works for me.

My 9 month old daughter does the same thing no matter where we change her, changing table, floor etc. I usually keep her occupied by giving her a clean diaper to play with, an empty tube of aquafor, a washed out plastic water bottle with the cap on, or one of the detachable mirrors from the floor activity gym's.

I am guessing you have already done most of this but I hear ya - I am in the same boat.

My son is totally the same way. I too have tried using toys or even sang to him to kind of distract him. I've just learned to try to do it fast. It's so hard and I understand your frustration. My husband is the one that finds it the most difficult. It makes me laugh because when I go in to check on them and there's my son, naked butt with a smile on his face and my husband with a smile but frustrated. You can't help but laugh. So sorry if I'm not really helping but I just wanted to say that I'm in the same boat as you. Good luck.

Have you tried singing to her when she gets wiggly? I had a lot of luck with that with both my kids.

E.

I would get a changing pad with a strap....you could put this on the bed if you want...and then I strap her across the chest tight (but not too tight)...just so enough so she can't flip. Then move very quickly...

I have the EXACT same issue with my 11 month old son. It drives us crazy! Very frustrating. Sometimes giving them something to hold (a diaper, toy, etc...) will keep their hands occupied and minds busy. I'd love to hear other suggestions!

Well all kids reach down and grab themselves while they are being changed, and wiped, they are like, what the heck? What is down there to clean? They are just trying to figure it all out. As for keeping her still, I used to grab pictures of my kids, you know like extras you have printed and let them look at them. They love pictures of themselves!!!

If she's fussing, not just trying to get away, the wipes might be burning. Even the ones that say no alcohol burn. I know this personally. I've tried every single brand and type out there. The only ones that do not burn are the Pampers with Aloe Natural. They come in the greenish blueish box.

If she's not fussing, she's just being a kid. All the suggestions below are great ones. My daughter loved the self-portraits.

Stephanie

1 / 3