Desitin in the Carpet?!?

My son decided to play in the tub of Desitin this morning. Luckily he didn't get any in his mouth, but it is mashed pretty well into the carpet. Anyone had any luck cleaning desitin out of carpet?

I have at time, allowed stuff in the carpet (like playdo) to simply dry out and then it vacuums up easily. Maybe it will work with Desitin?

Hi K., I know this will sound weird, but I find scrubbing bubbles that you buy for the bathroom has taken alot of stains out of my carpet for all kinds of various reasons. I spray it on and let it sit for awhile before I mop it all up. I have 5 kids and 7 grandchildren so I do knoe a little bit about spills. Hope this helpsyou,.T.

Desitin or any diaper rash creams are oil based which i think can be really hard to get out.... this might help you...

I've just checked my "Over 2000 amazing cleaning secrets" book by Jeff Bredenberg,and this is what it says:

"Oil-based stains aren't as difficult to get rid of as most people think. Many prewash stin-removal products, such as Spray 'n Wash and Shout, contain special solvents for removing oil and grease."

"For oil-based stains in carpets and upholstery, apply isoporpyl (rubbing) alcohol to a clean white cloth or white paper towel and blot the stain. Discard the dirty towels and repeat using fresh paper towels adn alcohol untilt eh stin is gone...If that treatmetn doesn't remove the stain, try the method for dried portein stain:...lightly apply a solution of 1/4 teaspoon mild dishwashing liquid (one that doesn't contain lanolin or bleach) in 1 quart cold water. Apply the solution to a cloth, adn use a blotting motion to work the solution into the affected area. Blot with a clean paper towel to remove the solution. Rinse by lightly spreaying the stain with water adn then blotting. Do this until all the suds are gone. Then spreay again lightly with water. Don't blot this time. Instead, lay a pad of paper towels over the spot, put a weight on it, and let it dry. If the stain persists, repeat the procedure with a stronger solution: 1/2 teaspoon of liquid detergent (preferably one containing enzymes) per 1 quart of cold water. if that still doesn't completely remove the stain, moisten the stained tufts with 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Let it stand for 1 hour. Blot and repeat until the carpet or upholstery is stin free. no rinsing is necessary following this procedure, becaue light will cause the peroxide to change to water. To dry, use the method mentioned previoiusly involving a pad of paper towels and a weight. But be careful: Hydrogen peroxide is bleach and can whiten colors."

I have used soap(ivory) and then a commercial carpet cleaner and lots of rags and elbow grease. Lots of luck!

I'm a flooring designer and might be able to help. Most carpets have stain protection which enables you to remove the stain with a simple solution of warm water and white rag. If the stain is more satubborn using drycleaning solution is usually the next step. Be careful adding any kind of detergent as this will attract more dirt to the area over time that spot will look dirty over and over again. Go to stainmaster.com and look up greece stains and follow their instructions. But always test in a descrete area like a closet first for colorfastness and always use a white rag to avoid transfering color onto your carpet. Be careful as some products may bleach your carpet, the stainmaster website is a safe bet.

I would try ice to freeze it, then pick it out. That works on gum in the hair, so maybe it will work in this situation too.

Hello K., Desolve It orange oil solvent will break it up, use a little a time on a clean cloth. then you can follow up with a mild cleaner for carpet. Orange Oil based cleaners are not toxic for the little ones! Good Luck-works well for gum in the hair too!

Hi K. I am a mom of 5 and have experimented with many different products that would remove crayon, desitin, marker, makeup,food products off of furniture, carpets, and walls. I seem to have a few future rembrants, and chemists. :) I have found that baby shampoo is a miracle worker!!! put in a spray bottle with water its great!!! Also simple green. good luck :)

1 / 3