Depo-provera

I have recently went for my 6 wk post-op appointment and my doctor put me on depo-provera. My husband and I would like to start trying to conceive again in a year or so. I have heard that the depo makes you gain weight and may take awhile for you to begin ovulating again. I am still trying to lose the baby weight and don't want to gain anymore. I would also hate for it to take us a long time to conceive because of the birth control. I just want to know if depo-provera is recommended or not.

I have 2 daughters 15 1/2 months apart from each other. My husband and I also want 2 have more kids but we want to wait a while. My Midwife recommended the Mirena IUD. She said with me wanting more the Depo would be a last choice. The average time to concieve after going off the Depo is 18 months. With the Mirena it is 3 months. I was on the Minipill after I had my last daughter and then tried the Nuvaring which was also good. I just have a bad reaction to estrogen thats why we changed again. I've had my Mirena in since November and I love it. I would recommend the Mirena to anyone! I know a few people who were on the Depo shot and hated it, especially when they wanted to have another baby. Good luck!

Why not try Natural Family Planning? It is totally safe, in line with God's plan and has no negative side effects. Women do not understand the danger of chemical birth control. It is unhealthy for the body--may cause very early abortion, which is related to breast cancer. Do the research with an open mind and heart. Children are a blessing from the Lord. Our bodies are made beautifully, why do women want to chemically pollute it? Good luck. You are in my prayers.

I did not get my period while I was on Depo-Provera. I had my last shot in October and did not get my period again until the next September. I conceived my son that March, a year and a half after my shot. I would not recommend Depo-Provera if you'd like to get pregnant in a year.

Well first, everyones body acts different to the shot. I know with me I gained weight that i have not been able to get off and that has been over 6years ago. Also I was having break threw bleeding. More like spotting between periods. To a point that i wasn't sure what was normal and what wasn't anymore. Have you tried the nuva ring? That was nice and didn't take long for me to get prego when I stopped it both times.

I had a bad experience too, some bleeding, dryness, no libido, and even though I only had two shots it took at least 6 months for my cycle to regulate itself again.

I recommend the Nuva Ring -- I spoke with my midwife during my last gynie exam and I said that we may want to have another in a year or so and she said that depo wouldn't be a good option, nor would the IUD. I loved the Nuva Ring. At first I didn't know what to expect but it was extremely easy to use. The only downside is that three weeks would roll around so quickly! Then you take it out have a period and put one back in another week. This can be logistically challenging but well worth it every other respect.

My doctor also put me on depo after my 6 weeks. I had trouble with getting the right kind of birth control pills in the past because they all caused me to have hypertension(which I didn't while I was pregnant) and some caused me to gain lots of weight.
But depo was not good for me at all. I bled for about 8-9 weeks straight as soon as I started and I gained about 10 lbs within a month(I was on my way to lose some weight, but I gained even more back!).
I know different people react differently, but this was definitely for me and I regret being on that even I only got one shot.

Lauren,

If you want to have another baby in a short amount of time, ie a year, don't take depo. I gained 89 pounds the first year I was on it. Once I got off of it my periods were all messed. I was really depressed a lot and to top it all off I had two miscarriages after being off of depo. I warn everyone against the shot. Never let your doctor put you on something without researching it first. I warn all my friends to never take the depo shot. My one friend really likes the ring & another one is on the patch. Look into those options. Good luck and enjoy your new baby!!

I just heard on a program this morning that once you stop the depo treatment, it may take 6 months to a year to start ovulating again and I believe it. I had one shot only April 08 and I did not receive start ovulating again until 12/08.

1 / 3