Dental Insurance-Discount Plan

We've always had dental insurance with my DH work but now he's changed jobs and it's not covered. Is an individual plan worth it or a discount plan? My kids are going to the dentist next week and it's going to over $400 for the 2 of them. My DD might need braces later so would that be covered in the plans out there? Or someone told me it's usually covered by my medical. We need to save money but not scrimp on caring for the kid's teeth. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I can't help you with individual insurance, however, do not assume dental is covered under medical. It is possible, but you need to call (or logon) to find out.

Also, ask your dentist office if they have a "cash rate" for those not filing insurance.

We do not have dental insurance and my dentist recommended Ameriplan. I highly recommend it... it is not an insurance but a discount plan; I believe it is 19.95 per month for your whole family and you get @ 50% off of dental, brace, etc.. It even includes a prescription discount. I have been happy with it! Plus pre-exisiting conditions are excepted. Just goodle Ameriplan; they are based out of Plano. Hope that helps!

Good morning, D.,
Dental is almost always separate from medical insurance. Delta Dental is affordable and has a good family plan. Check into that. Braces are expensive and any kind of help with that cost is a good thing.
B. G. (mother of 8, grandmother of 4)

Call Glenn Bates at Covenant Health and Life at ###-###-####. He is very knowledgeable.

We have a dental discount program through dentalplans.com and have been very happy with it. When we go to the dentist they charge us less than their "cash" price so we figure after the yearly plan fee we break even. I don't know how much they would cover on braces but in my experience even with employer-sponsored policies they don't pay near enough. Most orthos though will work out an interest-free payment plan.

1 / 3