Delicious Dairy Free Recipes for Toddlers

Hello

When my son turned 1years old. His doctor had him take a blood test for allergies. We found out the he is highly allergic to milk. I had to learn how to cook with out using any dairy products, and up to now my son has been ok with it. Now my son sees other children with cookies or cakes at birthday parties and I feel so bad that he cant eat any of that because of the dairy. I know that some people might think that no cake or cookies is a good thing because of the sugar but I believe part of being a kid is sometimes having a little sugar. Can anyone give me some yummy recipes that my toddler will eat that is dairy free or can be used with soy?

For cookies,or pies try using Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil in place of butter or shortening. It has no trans fats, and is very healthy. You can order it online from VitaCost for a really good price(ok, a good price is $20 for 54oz as compared to $15 for a 16oz jar in the health food stores). Most cookie recipes don't need milk, the only milk product would be the butter. Hope this helps. By the way, is this something he might grow out of?

Hi C.. There are tons of great dairy free dessert recipes on the internet. Just do a google search for "lactose free recipes" or "dairy free recipes". If you are willing to try some desserts that are not cookies and cake, you will find many delicious sweet treats for your son in Asian cookbooks. Many asian desserts do not involve dairy. For example Thai rice pudding and Thai sticky rice with mango both use coconut milk. Both are easy and so delicious that you won't feel the least bit deprived. I've noticed that my kids adopt whatever attitude I have about food. In other words, If I feel that they are being deprived, they will do the same. If I get excited about something that they are being fed, they get excited. Good luck.

My son has multiple food allergies, including dairy. You can substitute soy milk in almost any recipe. Certainly cakes, cookies, pancakes, etc. Puddings might not set right, but that's the only thing I can think of that might not work.

I highly recommend this online support group for parents: www.kidswithfoodallergies.org. They are a great resource for recipes and much more...

Try searching at Google for "dairy-free dessert" and you'll find some great ideas such as:

http://www.godairyfree.org/Table/Recipes/Dairy-Free-Desse...

and

http://dairyfreedesserts.com/

There are a TON of great recipes and cookbooks available for people in your situation. Have fun!!

I have a couple of resources for you. First, try www.foodallergykitchen.com. If you sign up with them, you can set your profile to exclude all recipes that use dairy. They'll have a few options. Also look at http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/featured_recipes.html. They have a few free recipes and you can join for a fee and get access to their whole database. I never joined so I don't know what is there other than the freebies.

Aside from that, have a look at www.naet.com. Here you will find information about an allergy elimination technique that can help your son. Just make sure that whichever doctor you choose clears all of the basic 15 whether they show up as positive or not. Some practitioners cheat and only do the positives and it decreases the effectiveness of the treatment as a whole. Feel free to conect with me if you have more questions. Oh, and by the way, once you're finished with your nursing degree, I think you can learn the technique yourself and help others (as my husband did - he's a chiropractor!). :)

My kids are allergic to dairy also. I replace milk with either rice or soy milk in recipes. Rice or soy milk is a safe milk substitue in all recipes including mashed potatoes, cakes, etc. You can also search this website http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healthy-Living/Dairy-Free/M....

My daughter was allergic to dairy & soy as an infant. I was nursing so I couldn't have any dairy or soy either. So while I don't have any recipes for you Whole Foods has alot of premade desserts that do not contain dairy. Fab's has really good cookies. Trader Joe's carries some breads that don't contain dairy too. Hope that helps.

My son is 13 months old and still either sensitive or allergic to dairy and eggs. In fact, we're going in to the allergist for testing on Tuesday to see what all he's allergic to, and to what extent.

Meanwhile, I did a lot of research in order to have a cake for his birthday. Here's a recipe for a tasty dairy and egg free cupcake:

Devil's Food Cupcakes With Fluffy White Filling and Chocolate Icing

Adapted from "Vegan With a Vengeance," by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Marlowe, 2005)

FOR THE CUPCAKES:
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
3 tablespoons black cocoa powder (see note) or more Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

FOR THE FILLING:
1/3 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, such as Earthbalance
1/3 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
2-1/2 to 3 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the chocolate icing:
1/3 cup plain soy milk
4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or confectioners' sugar

For the royal icing:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons plain soy milk.

1. For the cupcakes: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-muffin pan with paper liners, and spray lightly with nonstick spray. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and
salt. In a mixer, combine the soy milk, oil, syrup, sugar, vinegar and vanilla. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add half the dry ingredients and mix to blend. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix for 1 minute.

2. Use a standard ice cream scoop to fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

3. For the filling: In a mixer, beat margarine and shortening until combined. Add 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and beat until very fluffy, about 10 minutes. Taste for sweetness and add remaining 1/2 cup sugar if
desired. Add vanilla and beat for 1 minute more.

4. For the chocolate icing: In a small skillet, bring soy milk to a simmer. Reduce heat to very low and stir in the chocolate and maple syrup, stirring until just melted. Turn off heat.

5. For the royal icing: Using an electric mixer or by hand, sift sugar into a bowl and add 1 tablespoon soy milk. Mix, adding up to 1 more tablespoon soy milk until consistency is like stiff toothpaste.

6. To assemble: Prepare two pastry bags, one fitted with a large plain tip, and one with a small writing tip. Fill large-tipped bag with filling, and the small-tipped bag with royal icing. (Instead of pastry bags, thick resealable plastic bags may be used. For filling, cut off one corner of bag so the opening measures a scant 1/2 inch across. For icing, opening should be just large enough to pipe a thin line.)

7. Using your pinkie, poke a hole in center of each cupcake top about an inch deep. Push tip of pastry bag with filling into each hole, firmly squeezing in filling and slowly drawing tip up and out. When all cakes
have been filled, wipe off any excess that sticks out from holes; tops of cupcakes should be flat.

8. Place cupcakes on a baking sheet or tray that fits in refrigerator. Rewarm pan of chocolate icing over low heat if necessary, stirring constantly. Dip top of each cupcake into icing, swirling to coat completely. When all cupcakes are dipped, refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes to set. When set, use royal icing to make squiggles across center of each cupcake. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve, up to 1 day.

Yield: 12 cupcakes.

Note: Black cocoa, which gives the cake its characteristic dark color and bittersweet flavor, is available from King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836

1 / 3