Decorating for Soldier

I've got a soldier coming home soon and would like to decorate our front window for him. What's the best medium to use? I've heard of people using white shoe polish, but I would like something colorful (red white and blue) and easy to clean off. What's worked well for you?

I would get something like white butcher paper and do something on that and then hang it so that it can be seen through the window. A couple of reasons: a) it's something that requires no clean up, just removal, b) it something you can keep, c) if you are having a party to welcome him home you could have everyone there write a love note (welcome home note, thank you note) to him either on the front or the back so he can see how much his service is appreciated.

When I worked in a daycare we'd paint the large windows and change the design frequently (and let the kids paint a mural on the huge windows the size of sliding glass doors).

We used tempera paints but to make it easier to clean, we added dishsoap to the paint. For the kids we would pour the paint onto a paper plate, then add a couple squirts of soap and use a paintbrush to mix the soap in with the paint. Tempera comes in powder (that you mix with water) or pre-mixed and is available at craft stores (or online at places like www.orientaltrading.com)

It comes off the glass pretty easily (we used paper towels soaked with warm water).

If kids are participating in the decoration (maybe by decorating other windows in the house), you could also try using Crayola's window markers - they're washable and come off with window cleaner. They aren't nearly as bold and bright as paint, though.

Walmart has some window paint markers in the craft section that work great. My kids had a great time decorating for Daddy. Very easy to use and very easy to clean up. I also saw some cheap ones in the school supply section but not sure how good they work.

WalMart and AC Moore used to carry car window paint and that is what we used on the house windows as well. We also used a twin size bed sheet to make a welcome home banner - we used fabric paint and markers for the writing and decorating! Hope your soldier makes it home quickly!

(Husband was deployed for 15 months to Iraq 2006-2008)

you are probably looking for window markers. I believe crayola makes them, they can be found at party stores and other retailers. If you don't want to spend the money on a professional banner make one yourself. My husband loved the fact that the kids and I made a banner rather than buy one. It had a very personal touch. We bought a cheap sheet from a dollar store (very cheap), makers, spray paint, and had at it.

Crayola now has window markers. You can find them with the crayon/marker section. Also, there are car window painters in lots of colors. I hope you find something you like. Congrats on your soldier coming home!!!! :)

Dry erase markers work great! We love to use them to decorate for our soldier when he comes home!

A. Hasenstab - Military Wife
Helping Moms Work from Home
www.SecureFutureFromHome.com
Making Homes Safer Places to Be!
www.HealthySafeFamily.com

This isn't an idea for the window, but I once helped everyone who would be at the "welcome home" to make tshirts. Each person decorated the shirt with fabric paint and a personal message. For the soldier, make a shirt with everyone's hand print (or finger print if not enough space) and a message - like "We love our Daddy" or "#1 SON". If you have room, put each one's name under the hand (or initials under the print).

1 / 3