Debating over Getting a House Dog

I am debating weather to get an house dog from my 15 month old daughter. We have two bigger outside dogs but they are too ruff with her but she loves them and always wants to go outside to play with them, so I thought about getting her a small house dog.

Well we got a dog. We got a cairn terrier. She was very excited about getting her. I have heard they are easy trained if you work with them. I am a SAHM so it will help out with the training process. We got her a cage to stay in during the night and to take naps in. She has done really good. We have limited her space in the house until we get her potty trained. I have gotten bones and her own toys to play with, so I am hoping that helps with her chewing on things until she grows out of that stage. We have two outside bassethounds and they are both potty trained and did well on not chewing on things that weren't theirs. I did some research on cairn terriers and they are good with childern and make good family pets and are good for my daughters allergies. Thk for the advise.

I think it could work out nicely. Last Christmas we got two puppies, at the time my daughter was 24 months old. I've heard that getting a dog AFTER the child is born will make them gentler with the child, rather than introducing a baby to a old dog that's not used to kids. Anyway, we have two 20 lb. dogs and they're like my daughter's best friends. :)

I think its a great idea. I have a pekinegese for my 14 month old and she just loves him to death! You have to be careful though, because sometime my daughter gets too rough for the dog!

I think a dog is great for kids. I have 2 young boys (almost 3 years and 18 months). We have had a miniature dauschand since before either of the boys were born. They love playing with the dog. Although sometimes they are a little rough with her. But they just get used to each other. The dog is great with the boys!

i would but get her an easy to maintain and good with kids type we have a chuahuahuah (or how ever you spell it lol) but those types are not good with small kids something like a spanial small one would b good i hear so good luck hope all goes well and have a good week

I whole-heartedly agree that you should wait a few years to get another dog. You'll end up with a much better dog in the long run, as well as your sanity, if you wait. Your 15 month old doesn't really know the difference b/t dogs and toys at this point, so I think it's better (and safer) to stick with toys. Good luck.

My son will be turning 20 months tomorrow and we have had a house dog..a yellow lab..since I found out I was pregnant with him. That dog is so gentle with him...lets him climb on her and lay on her and now he gives the dog a kiss on her nose!!! When he was about 14 months we got another dog...a chocolate lab and I think he has claimed her to be his dog. She is a little rougher with him since she is still a puppy. He has gotten knocked down a few times but it doesn't seem to bother him. Good luck! The worst part is potty training the dog!!

Pets are great for kids. I have two cats, and one of them adopted the boys. She lets them do just about anything to her, poor thing. :P
Don't forget to check out your local animal shelter. There are lots of great housepets just waiting for a new family to love. And don't automatically think small child+puppy is a good mix, either. Puppies bite. An older, calmer dog might be more what you are looking for.
Good luck, and I hope you find a new family member soon!

I would say yes as well, as long as you have the time now to potty train a new dog and train it in general. Or you could wait til your daugher is a little older and have her help with the obedience training and whatnot. :)

Do a lil bit of research to find the best dog for her. Some small dogs don't do well with children and some do. So check out the small breeds to make sure they are suitable for her.

I would suggest not getting a new dog to bring into the family. If someone you know has a dog that is already good with kids and is going to be needing to give it up, that would be an option. Or you might try calling the pound and seeing if they have any that are suggested for kids. My kids have a dog that was here before they were born. He bonded with them while I was pregnant and their relationship is great, but introducing a dog that has no loyalty to the family or child at this age maybe be a bad idea. Ie. My daughter will grab the dogs ears and pull them in opposite directions until he is crying so I can stop her. She loves him and just doesn't understand why this is so bad. My son tries to catch him and he doesn't like it, but he has a loyalty to both of them and will not hurt them. I think if you can wait a year or two you will be better off.

1 / 3