Debating Bunion Surgery - Need Help!

Hi there. I am 36 yr old sahm of 2 boys, age 5 & 7. I went to a podiatrist yesterday & was told that the only solution for a large bunion on my right foot is surgery -It has progressed to the point where it hurts to wear any shoes other than flip flops. I am really into exercise (ran a marathon, love to do zumba) but now it just hurts when I lace up my shoes. I would have to be off my foot for around 6 wks - Obviously I drive with my right foot & am just scared at the thought of my kids needing my help & I'll be laid up! I am trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet & go for it to have it over in time for summer, or should I prolong it until the fall when my 5 yr old will start kindergarten?
Has anyone recently had this type of surgery? I would love to hear about recovery time, Dr you went to, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

Hi everyone - I had the surgery 3 weeks ago & am doing pretty good - I have a boot/cast for 2 more weeks & then I should be able to slowly return to exercising (YAY!) The pain has been tolerable, really only bad for first few days. I am already so glad that I went ahead & did it! Summer is right around the corner & I can't wait to wear some really cool flip flops without having a 6th toe sticking out! Thanks again for all of your suggestions/ideas. I couldn't have made the decision with it!

Both of my feet had arthritis nodules on the sides of my feet. I had special shoes made and everything for years. The pain just finally got so bad, it was causing me pain in my knees and hips both. These nodules are like bunions and look exactly like them, and had to be removed the same way according to what my dr. said. I finally had the worst foot done last year. I don't have little kids, but I have a daughter in college and believe me its still like having a little one,,LOL She has no time for anything but school. Before I had the surgery I prepared everything ahead. I was told I would be off my feet 4 - 6 weeks according to how it healed. I bought up everything I could to get in the house. I moved furniture to where a wheel chair would be easy to use in my home because with the arthritis I knew I couldn't use a walker or crutches. I bought a hand held shower head and put it on my shower, borrowed a shower chair and so on. I tried to think and prepare for any possibility. My biggest problem was stairs. I had to go up stairs either way I went to get into my house. I ended up getting out on the good knee from the wheel chair and scooting down the stairs on my butt, then scooting right back up when I needed to go the dr. Everything worked well and as I went I figured out ways to do things after the surgery. I had quite a bit of pain the first week, then it was just uncomfortable after that. I even pulled my vacuum cleaner behind my wheelchair with the power head in front to clean my house. I did have to get someone to take me to the dr and things because of the wheelchair, but other than that, I managed it all by myself and it really wasn't a problem with the preparation I had made ahead of time. I took really good care of the foot,,protected it from getting bumped and so forth, and mine healed in 3 weeks. That foot now is "beautiful" if you can say that, LOL compared to the other foot, and I wish I had done it years ago as far as the pain went. I am now ready to have the other one done. Pain for a few weeks is nothing compared to the pain of everyday and suffering with trying to walk and can't like I have. Actually I can say honestly, the pain wasn't near as bad as I was expecting and had been told. Still, 3 weeks compared to daily, I would do it again, and I will on the other foot, even if the other one takes longer to heal. I was prepared for 4-6 weeks and got by with 3. Get prepared, get a little outside help for your kids, and get it done is my advise. Don't suffer any more with it like I did for years. You will find out your kids can help you a lot too even at their ages. Good luck and hope it goes well if you decide to do it.

L.-

I have had the surgery and will eventually need it on my left foot as well. Go for it!!! I still can't wear dressy shoes or heels, but all I could wear before was those 'fisherman' sandals. Now I can wear some shoes and sneakers are great! I had a bone overgrowth at the big toe joint, which was removed. Recovery was fine.I had to wear a special boot a couple of weeks, but that was okay. I saved the boot for the next time, so the money was not wasted.

I have SO much less pain in my foot now! It is incredible. I would say definitely have it. It won't get better on its own.

Blessings.

I had bunion surgery about 10 years ago. I didn't have children but at the end of a day, I would sometimes be in tears because my feet hurt so bad. I didn't have family where I was living at the time and had a boyfriend who was supposed to help me a little and didn't. I bascially put a cooler beside my bed and filled it with drinks and snacks.
Things were difficult but I managed to take care of myself by myself and was actually walking unassisted by crutches in about 2 weeks. I wasn't sprinting and had a surgical shoe on for almost 6 weeks. I did have it during the summer so that I could wear sandals and flip flops and even then, there would be a little swelling. I tried to stay off my feet as much as possible but being someone who liked to go go go, that was a bit hard to do. If your husband can help you or if you have family or a close friend by to help with the kids, it is well worth doing it now than suffering thru to the fall. Good luck.

I recently had a bunionectomy this past November by Dr. McKinely in Elizabethtown. He's a wonderful doctor. I too was in pain wearing shoes of any kind. I recently attending a gathering that required me to wear dress shoes. What a difference! I was able to wear the shoes for several hours with no pain whatsoever! The only downside was the recovery time. I couldn't put any weight on my foot for six weeks, so I started out using crutches. Big mistake! I couldn't keep my balance on the stupid things. So I had the doctor prescribe a wheelchair for me. That worked fine unless I had to leave the house for anything. So the next step was one of those rolators (I think that's what they're called!). It's like a walker with wheels and a seat. That way I could get around without using my surgery foot, and when I got tired I could sit down. Anyway, the surgery was one of the best things I've had done. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

I had the surgery about 3 or 4 years ago. It isn't as bad as it sounds. It is an outpatient procedure and you have to wear that funny shoe. I think you are on crutches for about a month. Just follow the Dr. advice. I tried to progress quicker than I should have and my toe shifted. You will be able to get around you just won't be able to carry the kids (it sounds like they are too old for that anyway) and when on crutches it is hard to carry anything...I had the surgery on Friday morning and was back to work on Monday. Mine was my left foot so I could still drive.

Good luck! I would definitely recommend you do it...you will be amazed at the difference. I would love to recommend my doctor. He was awesome and cute as can be, but he is in Florida.

I had this surgery in November of 06 and everything has been great. It was the best thing I ever did. My foot use to hurt everyday all the time and now I don't have any problems at all. It is really nice to be able to walk around and not be in pain.

Elizabeth Timmons
if you have any questions send me an email ____@____.com

I am now 26, but I had surgery on both my feet when I was 11, which included shaving my bunions. They said to do it at that time since it would be worse when I got older. It is not worth it to go around in pain, and it will only get worse. The recovery is not that bad and you will probably have to wear a corrective shoe for a while if it is only your bunions. I would do it in time for summer so that you will be able to play with your kids.

L., please get the help you need right away! Your health has to be a priority because it will only get worse if you delay surgery. The sooner the better is what mom always says. You'll be healed in time for wearing boots in the fall. Besides, I'm sure your kids will step up and help mommy get better. They can be your doctor and nurse and also learn a little more responsibility. If it's possible, you can enlist the help of family members and friends when needed. My mom flew out here and stayed for a few weeks while I recovered from surgery. It was a huge blessing, not to mention the kids loved having grandma here to spoil them! God bless.

1 / 3