Dealing with Anxiety Attacks While Pregnant

I am 29 weeks pregnant and just found out I have been having anxiety attacks. They are gradually getting worse and I really dont want to take medication while being pregnant, so if anyone has any tips on how to deal with these attacks please tell me!

Are you active at all? I really found that once I started working out- or even doing yoga- that it helped so much with mood and any anxiety.
Remember, our bodies are chemical so when you move and sweat a little (doesn't even have to be an intense workout) our body gets pumped full of endorphins and other "feel good" chemicals that are needed- especially for pregnant women! :)
So rent, buy or borrow a workout tape designed for pregnant women and try it out. For two weeks make a commitment to use it three or four times each week, and I bet you'll feel better and lessen or completely stop the anxiety attacks.
Good luck! :)

I'm having the same issue. I'm 30 weeks and have such high anxiety. Pre-natal yoga, taking long showers, doing breathing exercises, exercising (going for a walk or bike ride), sitting and reading a book...taking some ME time...whatever it takes.
Tomorrow I'm going for a mani/pedi and that's relaxing. Next week I'm having a pre-natal massage. All these things help. Just try to relax (I know easier said than done!) but try and take deep breaths.
If you feel an attack coming on...immediately sit and start breathing calmly.

Ok, I had hormonally induced anxiety attacks during my pregnancy as well. I thought it was asthma at first. HOLY COW did they suck!!! I never had anxiety before then and dont have it now. It wont last forever! I would always sit in a hot shower, til the water ran cold - eyes closed and all that jazz. You just have to teach yourself to relax - talk yourself down. I'm so sorry your going through this. Just keep remembering that it WILL pass!!!!

I went through the same thing while I was pregnant. I tried everything to relax, but nothing helped. It got so bad that I was not sleeping at all and just pacing all day. I ended up going on medication. I didn't want to, but the doctors told me it was better for the baby for me to be calm on medication rather than anxious. Now, my case got very severe. I just wanted to assure you that if you have to take medication, it will be ok. My son is almost 3 months old now and is doing great! There were no problems whatsoever. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Exercise, avoid all stimulants (caffeine, sugar etc..), practice relaxation techniques (info on internet). I recommend getting a relaxation CD to listen to. I have a book about Anxiety that I can copy and give to you if you like.
~A.
Also, Rescue Remedy from Bach at the health food store is good.

I have one word for you Lexapro! It's wonderful! I haven't felt more normal in along time. took my anxiety attacks and made them go away! Ask your gyno about it!

1 / 3