Dealing with a Miscarriage

I suffered a miscarriage last weekend, it's the first time I have and hopefully the last. I was ok at first, but then I started thinking about it and realized I wasn't. After talking to my husband about how I felt, I feel better now and know that it must have not been meant to be right now. We have one child already, so I know it isn't a question of whether or not I can get pregnant and we are trying again. I haven't told everyone yet, but those that do know have said it must have been something wrong with the baby. I know they mean well, but that doesn't sit well with me. I'm sure I will hear it more as more people will find out. If you have been through it, how did you handle the responses? Whenever I found out someone went through something like that, I just offered my condolences and offered to be there if they needed anything. Not sure if it eases things at all, but it was what I felt was the right thing to say.

thank you to each and every one of you. I was only 5-6 weeks along when it happened, not that it makes it any easier, but thankfully I never saw anything on the ultrasound. I think it would have made it that much harder to deal with if I would have seen an actual little being in there. I'm still bleeding, but I have read that that should subside in 10-14 days and I'm now on day 9. I go back to the dr on tuesday to get the pathology reports from the tissue I took in and the final results from my hcg levels. I'm hoping after all that is said and done that I can finally move forward. This has all been like a bad dream that I can't wake up from. It has been really encouraging to hear that most of you went on to conceive again after you went through it, that gives me hope where I felt hopeless. Thank you again. Much love to all of you!

Miscarriages are hard and sad, and people say the stupidest things with good intentions. I'm sure what they mean to say is that it wasn't something you did; it's not your fault. Having had several losses myself, I understand how it feels when someone tries to be comforting but makes things worse instead.

A woman I was on a birth board with for babies due in August of 2010 ended up losing her daughter at 26 week gestation. She started a website called Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope, http://www.facesofloss.com. It might be a good resource for you.

I am sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a baby is never easy. I've lost 3. We lost Alexis at 22 weeks.

When someone says "I'm sorry" I just said thank you. My friends near and dear to me - didn't say anything - they held me and let me cry and scream. and laugh and whatever hit me at the time as my hormones were all over the place.

I know people think "it was for the best" mean well - just say Thank you. For those who have never been through a loss, they don't know what to say. Really. I'm sorry is the best thing to say and thank you is how you reply. If you need a hug - go to your dear friends and family - they will be there for you.

Best of luck to you. The pain never really goes away....you just learn to deal with it. It takes time. It's been 6 years for me next week. You will never forget.

There is never one right thing to say. It is more about the intention behind the comment than the comment itself. Here is a good example of insensitivity I have to add. I miscarried while shopping at Target. I was pregnant with triplets after a year of gruesome infertility treatments, ending in IVF. The manager came over and tried to get me to fill out an accident report. I said that I didn't fall, I was having a miscarriage. He said "Good. I thought you hurt yourself." Most people mean well, they really do, even if they miss the mark. You are in my thoughts...

That wasn't my favorite response either, but like you, I understood they meant well and were trying to be supportive. I just said a polite thank you as my response and talked to my husband a lot and those closest to me. I'm sorry for your loss! Hugs to you.

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage in 2010. It was very hard to deal with at first. There is no known reason for why woman miscarry. That was just very insenstive of these ppl to say that to you. Some ppl just don't think before they speak. I know that it's hard but just ignore them.
You said the right thing. Thats all you can do in a situation like that. Hang in there and things will get better for you. I wish you all the best.

my MIL said the best response, "We have one in Heaven now". :)

For me, it was my 2nd pregnancy....& both my Mom & my MIL miscarried their 2nd's too. What are the odds of that happening? .....

Anyway, my thoughts & prayers will be with you. Peace be with you....

I'm so sorry for your loss!! I had two miscarriages. I miscarried my first baby and I had a miscarriage after my 4th baby. I had a lot of people say that. I was very sad with both. With my first, we were trying and I miscarried at 12 weeks after very severe morning sickness. I was devastated! I got pregnant 3 months later and felt a lot better. After miscarrying my baby after having 4 kids, we weren't planning on having any more and I miscarried at 5 weeks. My due date came and went and I struggled with ending with a miscarriage. But I did get over it and ended up having another baby two years later. =) Now I have 5 children. I wish you the best. Hang in there!! HUGS!!

I'm so sorry. I, too, had a miscarriage when we first starting trying for our second baby. I was completely thrown off by how much it affected me. I'm glad you can talk to your husband about how you feel. My husband listened as I talked my through the grief of my miscarriage, too, which I found really helpful. The comments from others - I tried to believe that they were all coming from good intentions and then tried not to think about what their comments meant to me. (there was something wrong? what if that happens again? etc) The one suggestion I did found helpful came from my doctor - she advised me to wait a couple of cycles to "reset" the hormone levels. We went on to have our 2nd baby with that 3rd pregnancy - I wish the same for you.

1 / 3