Daylight Savings Time - Still Not Back to Normal

my son has never been a good sleeper and everytime he is sick and he gets up alot during the night...we seem to have to do a cry it out again to get him sleeping better (he's never really slept thorugh the night). so now with daylight savings he's up a 5:45 every morning and he's unbearable. what can i do to get him to sleep to 7ish.

Just offering sympathy, mine are both in that boat, and my LATE sleeper wakes around 0530! My 2 year old is up at 0400-0415 most mornings. I have gone in to tell her that it is too early, that she does not have to sleep, but that she cannot scream. CIO is the only thing if she wants to scream, and usually falls back asleep (intil 0530ish) if I put her music on. Trick is no having her wake up the rest of the household, quite a set of pipes on her.

How old is your son? I have a 4-month-old who has always been a pretty awful sleeper, so DST was just another hiccup for us. We had a few days of him wanting to start the day at 4:30am; what we did was basically just leave him in his crib. We left the lights off, kept the curtains closed, and let him play with his crib mirror, but didn't pick him up or play with him. If he cried we made sure he was fed and everything and calmed him back down, and just put him right back in the crib. Then at night we tried to keep him up a little later each night (I mean a little later, like 15 minutes at a time).

Basically, we kept treating daytime like daytime, and nighttime like nighttime, even when they shifted. That actually seemed to work really well.

That depends on how old he is....my daughter is 2.5 years old and is up around the same time (5:45) after sleeping till 7 or 7 : 30 before. Driving me nuts cuz she is so cranky and then wants to sleep 3 hours in the afternoon. I'm gonna try a special alarm clock for her--generally some kind of incentive works well for her--special doll box she only gets to have on days she waits till i come to wake her. That worked for a long while. I know it stinks! If yours is younger incentives would not work though.

It's still dark at that hour... make sure his room is dark.... I never did "night lights" in my kids room while they were babies.
Maybe pull him into your nice warm bed in the morning and he just may go right back to sleep cuddled up by Mommy.

My son is 2 and after 2 weeks of him getting up early because of the time change we decided to let him stay up late one night. It worked. He slept in later the next day and is now going to bed at normal time and waking up at normal time.

1 / 3