Daylight Savings Time Problematic for Schedule?

I am a new mom to a wonderful 5 month old. Can any more experience moms give me advice on how to help transition my baby through daylight savings time?
She was going to sleep at 7:30ish and waking up at 7:00ish. So last night she was ready to sleep at 6:00, I held her off until 7:30, but then she woke up this morning at 5:30.
Will she gradually get back on the other schedule? Should I slowly adjust her?
Any advise would be appreciated!

My son did just what yours did. I think we're going to just try to get on an earlier schedule and accomodate him. I'm more likely to go to bed earlier on this time than before too! : )
R.

From what I've read (and what I experience w/my daughter, who will turn 1 tomorrow), if you keep them up later, they will wake up earlier and be sleep deprived. If you want to move their schedule, you will have to do it slowly over a week or so by moving it (whatever direction you need) by about 10 or 15 min at a time). So tonight, I would say put her down whenever she's tired or at her previous time, which would be 6:30 tonight and start trying to move it tomorrow after she's gotten a good full night's sleep tonight.

Then, the next night put her down about 10 or 15 min later. If she sleeps to her "normal" wake up time (which would now be 6ish), then keep her on the same schedule until her wakeup time moves about the same time foward as well (probably about three days... that's about how long it took my daughter to move). Then put her down another 10 or 15 later.

As you can see, this could take a couple of weeks to move the schedule an entire hour. You can always start this before the time (in the spring) so that you're half-way there by the time change. My daughter was just about the same age at daylight savings time during this past spring, and I didn't think to start ahead of time, but my daugher was pretty easy and we had her adjusted by about a week and a half.

I hope that helps.

P.

I had this same experience this weekend with my 8 month old. Typically she goes to sleep at 9:30 and sleeps til 7:30. Sunday night she went to sleep at 8:30 and was up at 5:45. So, last night we started her night-time routine about 30 minutes later. And it worked perfectly. She slept from about 9 to 6:30. Hopefully we'll get closer to her old schedule by the end of the week. Just do it gradually and I think it will work for you too. Good luck!

She will adjust. I agree with the post about the later they go to bed the earlier they wake. I didn't believe it until I tried it. The more rested they are the better they sleep. A great book that covers all kinds of sleep issues throughout childhood is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It even has a section at the end of each sleep problem titled 'Plan of action for the exhausted parents' I have refered to this book several times and so far everything that has been suggested has worked, although I was skeptical of the advice to begin with.
N.

1 / 3