Day Five of Diet. When Will the Intense Hunger Subside?????

On Monday, I went on myfitnesspal.com and started tracking my food. My daily calorie allowance is 1400. I've been sticking to it all week and today is the 5th day! And I'm down 4 lbs already!!! I am so excited about that, but the only problem is I feel like I'm starving all the time! Since my old go to healthy snacks like raw, unsalted almonds are very high in calories, I've been finding that I really can't afford to snack in between meals at all. I've been drinking 1-2 cups of chai tea mid-morning and mid-afternoon to try and tide me over. It helps for about 30 minutes then I am starving again. When will this start to subside? Does anyone have any low calorie snack ideas?

I found that by using at least 50% of my calories on fruit and veggies I lost weight and I'm not hungry. It's so easy to grab an apple or handful of carrots.

I lost 19 lbs over a year ago. I am rarely hungry. I did it by cutting carbs (no pasta, rice, bread, pretzels etc.). I still however eat quite a bit of fruit. I also increased my fat and protein intake. I eat real whipped creem on strawberries and blackberries. I even eat bacon😀. I found that you can eat higher fat foods in the absence of carbs and loose weight. Look up the Paleo diet. It is now a way of life for me and I love fitting into a size 4 or 6.

You can snack between meals just make it fruits and veggies. An apple or some carrot sticks is not going to keep you from loosing weight. Add a little hummus, or some almond butter so you feel more satisfied. Drink lots of water.

I agree with what Jill K. and Suz said. The problem with "diets" is that by definition, they are temporary. Sometimes it's nice to do a 1400 calorie per day diet to kickstart your weight loss, but you cannot sustain so few calories long-term.

Nuts are really good for you, especially almonds and walnuts. And fats are a necessary part of your diet. Your intake is supposed to consist of 30% healthy fats, so eliminating fats from your diet is never a good idea, and is guaranteed to keep you feeling starving. Please keep eating your almonds.

I was watching a weight loss doctor a couple of nights ago, and he made the very valid point that the problem is the American diet, which generally sucks. His mantra was "the salad is the main dish." The way most of us eat does not satisfy our bodies because our diet is lacking in critical nutrients. His point was that when you eat properly, you can eat as much as you want, and you will not be hungry and you will not have to restrain yourself.

Think of it like this: when you are done with this "diet" and you go back to eating "normally," what's going to happen? You are going to gain the weight back.

Change your thinking, and permanently change how you eat. Focus on eating vegetables and things that are healthy, and for the most part eliminate things that you know are unhealthy, and you will automatically lose weight. And definitely do not cut out nuts. If anything, you should increase your nut consumption. I am not overweight, and I practically live on nuts. I eat handfuls of assorted nuts daily. Walnuts, in particular, are supposed to the one of the healthiest things you can eat.

1400 calories does not sound like enough. Give yourself a handful of almonds once mid-morning and once mid-afternoon to tide yourself over. If you're constantly really hungry, something isn't right.

Congratulations on the weight loss! That's great!!

However, the down side? I think you are going too low on calories. I believe the typical caloric intake should be 1500 to 1800.

More protein - chicken, pork, eggs and beef - are protein.

Drink more water.
Eat smaller meals - six times a day. yes, you read that right. Smaller meals or snacks six times a day and lots of water.

If you keep on allowing your body to "starve" it will go into starvation mode and start saving EVERYTHING you eat. Do not allow that to happen. Talk with a nutritionist about this.

Congrats!

I've never actually dieted like that, (with the goal of losing weight), but I grew up as a ballet dancer so not over-eating was (and actually still is, but not in a creepy way) part of my consciousness.

A couple of things.
-Are you drinking plenty of water? Not just the tea between meals, but make sure you're drinking lots of water WITH your meals, and THOUGHOUT the day. It will help you feel less hungry... but it's also just GOOD for you to be hydrated.

- Don't reject those almonds all together! I know they're high in calories, but make room for them in your meal plan and you'll be a lot happier. No calories means no energy... eat the almonds and skip something else.

-Proteins and fats (like your almonds) are going to look "very high" in calories compared to something like popcorn, or a low-cal bar or something, HOWEVER those calories are going to satisfy you, energize you, and keep you satiated for much longer than some diet food.

-1400 calories is pretty low if you're used to having a lot more than that. And 4lbs in 5 days is pretty extreme (although hopefully most of that is water weight... and getting more regular with your BMs). The intense hunger will subside when your body gets used to smaller portions, but if you aren't actually eating ENOUGH, you will ALWAYS be hungry. After the next week or so, your weight loss should taper off to about a pound a week. If that doesn't happen, and you're still hungry, I'd think about letting in a few more calories each day until it's manageable.

eeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
deprivation diets DO work (BTDT) but being frantically hungry all the time will inevitably backfire horribly on you.
1400 is NOT enough calories to sustain you. clearly we need to re-train our bodies when they're screaming for fried oreos and hot fudge sundaes, but if you are depriving yourself of bottom line nutrition, you need to heed the outraged screams coming from your belly.
you MUST snack in order to lose weight at a sustainable pace, and keep it off. raw almonds are an excellent go-to, especially when paired with something like raisins. yes, they're high in calories, but you only need a handful. give yourself unlimited green leafy veggies, and a high ceiling for other veggies like broccoli, cauli and carrots (yes, carrots have sugar. and lots of other good stuff too. eat them.) an apple or a banana in the middle of the morning will NOT derail your weight loss.
4lbs in 5 days is not sustainable. think 1-2 lbs per week. not nearly as exciting but a LOT more realistic.
do you have an uber-blender, like blend tec? they are your best friend. no way could i get down all the greens i need every day if i couldn't make green smoothies. invest in one!
good luck.
:) khairete

You're hungry because you're not eating enough. The hunger will not go away. Calorie tracking can be helpful, but can't be the be-all and end-all in a healthy diet. A low calorie diet can backfire by making your body retain it's fat stores, or even adding to them, because it thinks you're having a food shortage.

Please Google 'calorie theory' and have a read. Skip the Wikipedia page.

1 / 3