Daughter with Stinky Feet

My daughter (5 next month) has the stinkiest feet! My brother and I both suffered from stinky feet growing up. I would even get really wrinkled skin and sores on my feet from it. It wasnt until high school when I started wearing sandles all the time that it went away. I was too embarrassed to say anything. I was so embarrassed, I would hide my feet in the sand when at the river and never took off my shoes. Anyway, I think my daughter has the same issue, but I dont know what it is or how to treat it. I dont want her to suffer like I did, also I dont want to have that awful smell in the house! Her daycare provider even had to put her shoes out on the step one day when she wore shoes without socks! Can anyone relate to this? Any advise short of going to the doctor. She will see her doctor next month for her physical.

Sounds strange, but I used plain ole' Listerine on my son's feet. He's 6. You could try that or cider vinegar. Worked for us. Good luck.

Hi there!

I was watching a Dr's episode once and they did a black tea foot soak and it worked wonders. I think it had something to do with the tannins. You might search their website to see if you could find that episode or information from that episode. It was filled with "embarrassing issues".

Hi there!

Some peoples hands and feet just sweat more than others! (this is one of many reasons it's rude to ask guests to remove their shoes in your house.) there are some things you can do to make them sweat less, including an aluminum prescription (I was a dancer and had to do this for my hands so I wouldn't keep slipping from my partner's grasp), but I don't know if they're advisable for a child. Barefoot and Leather sandals as much as possible helped me as a kid.

My brother's feet had this problem when we were growing up and the neighbor (who usually had a "shoes off in house" policy) let my brother keep his on! Anyway, my brother soaked his feet in water with a capful of Lysol liquid in it and my mom put OdorEaters insoles in his shoes. Those things helped, but the real thing that helped was the Dr. said it was a dietary deficiency, and started him on a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. I don't recall exactly what, because I was only in elementary school at the time, but that cured the problem.

Such wonderful suggestions already! I was going to second corn-starch foot powder and all-cotton socks.

Even if you find something that works very well, please don't forget to bring it up with the doctor. There may be an underlying dietary/processing issue that could be addressed. I'm sure you plan on doing it, since you had memories of this issue too. Best wishes.

100% cotton socks help a whole lot!!!! When I was a kid and had nylon socks, my feet were horrible. The cotton socks completely eliminated that problem!!!

my son has very very stinky feet. His feet actually make me gag sometiems. I always have to make sure that he wears socks with his shoes and we bought a spray (I believe they sell it at Walmart) its for fungus and smell. I spray his shoes daily with it and it has helped a lot. I would try that. And making sure her feet are washed regularly (not saying you dont do that already.) If that doesnt work I would go to the doctor about it.
Goodluck! I feel your pain!

C Marie _ I also watched the Dr's episode that had the stinky feet! YES, try the tea. I wish I could remember what kind it was, but it helps the feet to stop sweating. She will soak them in the tea water.
You will probably hear this a lot, but cotton socks. No shoes without socks. Sandles may help, but you can't do that until spring (especially if you are here in WA right now, brrr..).
I would try taking her shoes off as soon as she gets home, have her sit next to the sink while you wash her feet (with a washcloth) and make sure to get between her toes! Maybe even pour some rubbing alcohol on them. Then let her run around barefoot in the house. Her feet will sweat less.
Good Luck. L.

1 / 3