Daughter Wants to Go Camping with Girl Scouts

My 8 1/2 year old- will be 9 in July- is in 2nd grade and wants to go camping with her girl scout troop - Friday to Sunday- she is outgoing and is not the kind to be sad without me- but she has never been away from me other than to her dad's or her aunts or another relative occasionally. I think she will have fun -I cannot go because I have other children to take care of - I am a single mom of 3- I do not want to leave my 13 yo son alone all weekend and I do not have anyone to help - I have another daughter 5 years to take care of as well. Do you think it is ok to let my daughter go? There would be other moms there to help and I know not everyone will have their mom going because there are only so many moms that are allowed to go. I have just never been through this before.

I would have her sleep over at one of the girl's houses whose Mom is going ahead of the camping trip and see how she does since it sounds like she's never been away from you before. It sounds like she will be fine based on what you say about her personality though.
My daughter is a girl scout and I've been on many of the weekend trips with her troop and although there has been crying to go home in the middle of the night, we're always able to calm the child down and get through it without calling the parent.

YES! I have incredible memories from girl scout camp, and it was an awesome experience every time we went.I belive I was in 2nd grade the first time I went with my troop, and in 3rd grade it was a big deal to go on the spring trip with the junior scouts for one night. The women that go on the trips are very capable, and they have lots of activities planned so the girls won't be bored or restless. Agree to the trip, and be ready to hear some wonderful stories when she gets back!

well i really dont know how u feel on this on my son is only five mounths old so i havent been through this one yet but i would let her go its good for her to get out and make new freinds. I know that you will probley worry about her but you will have to just know she is okay. since there will be other moms there and she is almost nine u have to let her start staying places one of these days she is going to want to go stay at a friends house too. now would be a good chance to get used to that. but your the mother you do what u feel

Let her go. My oldest daughter did many overnight trips. I did go on some because I wanted to spend this time with her, however I would have let her go either way. As long as your daughter has no issues with being without you then send her.

YES! Please, let her go! It will be a wonderful opportunity for her and she will have a great time. As you said, there will be other moms there and she will be with friends. Girl Scouting is a wonderful organization and will be great for her to have on her resume when she gets older and applies to college.

Hi D..

I am a Girl Scout Leader. While this is my first year as a leader, I have been an assistant since my daughter was a Brownie (about 7 years). So, I've been to camp with a couple of different levels of Girl Scouts.

It's always difficult to know for sure if our daughters will be okay with out us, especially for a weekend. If she has a good relationship with the leader and with the other girls, she should be fine. If you are okay with the worst case scenario -- that you have to go pick her up because she is inconsolable, then you should feel comfortable letting her go. Camp is exciting for girls this age -- okay, most ages. So she may miss you and may wish you were there some times, she will probably be enjoying herself and having fun.

The leaders have background checks done and have to be certified in camping and first aid. Your daughter will be safe.

In the end, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Hi, D.:

This the time when your children start making friends and doing this with them. It is great that you are willing to let her go by herself.

It takes a village to raise a child. She will learn to trust others to help her as she journeys through life. You will miss thee responsibility but take a breather while she is away.
Good luck. D.

Hi D., Let her go! She will have so much fun and she will be well taken care of. Girl Scouts has lots of guidelines and rules and regulations not to mention training that each leader must follow and go through before being able to take a troup camping...and for each age level a certian number of adults is required! I have been involved with GS since my oldest (she'll be 18 next week) was in Daisy's in Kindergarten and I personally don't think you could find a better organization to provide great female role models and tons of great growing-up things to do. Don't feel guilty about not being able to go, GS is all about providing opportunities for girls that they normally would not have and trust me when I say almost every girl loves to go to camp...it is the best part for many of them. There are a lot of great camps in PA and they are well maintained and very safe. If you need to get a sleeping bag and mess kits they carry them at WalMart at great prices...and don't forget to mark everything with a sharpie! You can label the stainless mess kit with a sharpie but you may have to re-mark it over the years. Gather a set of old towels, a fitted bottom sheet, a felt-backed plastic table cloth (to use when tent camping to cover bed durring the day) a rain poncho, a flash light with extra batteries (sharpie all this stuff too) and she may need a "sit-upon-bucket" (a large bucket with lid like the ones you can buy for $5 at Home Depot) and large zip-lock bags (to pack her clothes in by outfit <socks, undies, shirt, pants> this will keep them dry no matter what and she can put her dirties into the empty bag) and send her on her way. The leader should provide you with a list of stuff to pack for each event...extra socks and an old pair of shoes are a must as well....Scouts love to get into water and mud as weather allows! I also recommend that you get her a disposable camera to take along...keeping a scrap book of scouting outtings is great fun over the years as well. If you have any questions just talk to your leader! Have fun! Best wishes.

1 / 3