Daughter Tried to Get Little Sister to Drink Pee

my five year old daughter likes to pee in the shower occasionally despite my telling her not to. when i went to grab towels tonight and come back my 3 yr old daughter tells me my 5 year old peed in their tea cup and tried to get my 3 year old to drink it. I'm a little disturbed, i know kids are curious and such, but my husband is truely worried and frustrated by her behavior. How would you address this issue or has anyone else been through this?

If this happened once, that would be okay. But, is she a bully? are there other cruel things she does to her sister? That is where i se the problem.

I would handle it firmly. I would tell the five year old that this is unacceptable behavior and if it happens again, there will be a punishment. Then follow through. If this is happening in the shower, then have them shower separately (and if you are leaving a 5 and a 3 in the shower while you leave the room, please don't do this.)

I'm with Marda and Kristina. Don't worry about it. Obviously you want to discourage it (just like we are trying to discourage our 5 year old from picking his nose in public).

Out of curiosity, why did you tell her not to pee in the shower? Just about everyone I know has admitted to peeing in the shower ... and picking their nose when no one's around :-)

lol This is so benign. Kids are curious and wanting to try everything. I would not be concerned. Just tell her it's not appropriate.

Actually drinking urine will not make us sick unless the person who provided the urine is sick. Urine comes out sterile. There is a diet program in which people drink their own urine, in fact. Gross, I know but it would not have hurt your daughter if she'd drank it.

i would address it firmly, looking her directly in the eye with no hint of laughter, and be very clear that this is not acceptable (the drink suggestion, not the peeing in the shower....who doesn't do that?)
then i'd go bury my face in a pillow and howl with laughter.
really, your husband needs to relax. this will be a great family story!
:) khairete

Peeing in the shower? I'm so guilty of doing that. Something about the nice warm water helps me relax and I just let my bladder empty. It feels so good.
I use my foot to rub a sponge around the bottom of the tub before I get out. I certainly don't have a filthy tub.

My little sister and I used to take baths together and we drank our bath water. Super gross, I know, but it didn't make us sick or anything.

As for your daughter trying to get her little sister to drink pee, I wouldn't go overboard and think she's some type of deviant, but I wouldn't think it was funny either. I would probably say something like, "If you think drinking pee seems so interesting or fun, let's see you try it."
Of course the kid wouldn't want to and that's the point.
"Don't try to get your little sister to drink and/or eat anyting that YOU wouldn't try first yourself. Period".

It's likely she won't try that again.
She should tell her sister she's sorry and leave it at that.

Just my opinion.

I agree with Marda, simply talk to your daughter about the situation. I would ask her if she would want to drink her own urine or her sister's and ask her then why would her sister want to drink hers. I would simply explain that it is not acceptable behaivor, should she do something like this again she will be (insert appropriate punishment here). There are tons of people who have survived a few days more by drinking their own urine as well as that "diet" Marda referred to. While you are discussing bodily functions, I would address that feces is NOT edible.

A., I am sorry, but I am cracking up!

Want to hear disturbing? My oldest sister, peed in a cup and put it in the refrigerator and told my middle sister it was lemonade and tried to get her to drink it!

We still talk about it til this day! Freaks!

I dont know what advise to give you, but they def arent the first to try it! Ooooh sisterly love! It keeps on giving and giving!!

If this is the only bad example of big sister telling little sister to do something the parents have asked her not to...I would not be disturbed.

If this were a pattern of big sister forcing little sister to perform many odd or unusual requests....then I would most definitely be disturbed and up my supervision and start reminding and working with big sister how lil sister looks up to her, that she is a role model...kind of young, but you get the gist.

Sibling rivalry can definitely start to rear it's ugly head this soon. So best to keep an open eye for awhile.

GL! - great question BTW.

Oh my -that sounds like perfectly normal sibling behavior (or college boys -see below)! Kids do stuff like this! To them -it's funny. I would get onto her and let her know that pee and poop just go in the potty and will make you VERY sick if you ingest them (although pee really won't). Did you know that urine is the most sterile substance our body produces? It's MUCH cleaner than spit! Not that anyone should be ingesting it -but...

My dad loves to tell a story of a guy in college who drank all of their sodas and beer all the time. They filled a Mountain Dew bottle with pee and put it in the fridge and hid while he came in, grabbed it out of the fridge and turned it up -then they all died laughing.

This isn't something to break a sweat over. Oh yeah -I still pee in the shower, and I'm 42!

1 / 3