Daughter Tipping over in Bouncy Seat

Hi Moms,
My almost 5 month old daughter is uable to sit up unassisted, yet she pulls herself up to sitting while in her bouncy seat and then tips over the side. I've had to retire the bouncy seat (Fisher Price Aquarium) because this is obviously dangerous. So the question is, where do I put her when I need to put her down? We have bebe pod (like a bumbo seat) but she gets tired/bored/uncomfortable in that very quickly. Any other ideas? We have a Jumperoo and Exersaucer in storage that I won't be able to get to for another couple of months, and I'm not sure she's ready for those yet anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions for something not to expensive to sit her in and keep her entertained. She doesn't like her swing or her floor mat gym. I was thinking of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009QYT3E/ref=wl_it_dp?... Has anyone used this? The user pics show babies sitting up in it. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks,
N.

Thanks for all your advice! You basically told me what I already knew. I'm going to have to suck it up and buy another exersaucer/jumperoo. Because of my husband's job, we have our stuff scattered about the country -- so I often have to buy stuff we already own and it kills me. Since it's almost xmas, maybe I can get Grandma to help out with this one! You all prevented me from buying another chair that probably wouldn't have worked -- thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Baby-Einstein-Discover-Entert...

Graco Baby Einstein Discover & Play Entertainer

I personally used and loved this one!!! Just wrap a blancket around waist and under arms to keep her from tipping over...my son loved it since he wes 3 months, he wanted to sit up...he would cry if he was layed down!!! Love, G.. :0)

N.,
I would go on craigslist.com and get an exersaucer for like $20. I did the same for a swing.

My daughter is 6 months old and I started to use a boppy behind her at about 5 months so she could sit up at her playmat or you could put her on a padded floor with it behind her and put some toys in front of her.

We also started using the play saucer around 5 months and she loved it and still loves it. This is the Exersaucer I think you are talking about. She jumps in it and did at 5 months.

Hi N., by that age all my kids were in an exersaucer... like this: http://www.target.com/gp/search/601-###-###-####-###-###-... I have the top Evenflo one. Different brands make different styles...some open up later on to get more use out of them (in hindsight that would've gotten more bang for my buck). My kids loved these, especially at that age. My son started bouncing in the Jumparoo by 6months... but he also sat up well.
The seat you have the link to looks like it would be better at preventing what your daughter is doing in her regular bouncy seat...so its worth a try, but I would try an exersaucer...so much more fun :)

The Water Rocker Seat that you are looking at seems like it may work for a while... until she is strong enough to pull herself out of the 3 pt. harness. Do you have a sling to put her in ... that way your hands are free to work etc,. but your darlin daughter is close to you and can watch whatever you are doing. At that age, she will probably be entertained by whatever you're doing. It sounds like she may have fairly strong head muscles and control, you may be able to face her outward in the sling so she can watch what you're doing easily. When my darlin' was your daughters age, she was in the sling quite a bit... she was even in a play that way. .... I hope you find something that works for you.

N., have you tried a carrier so that she is not in your arms, but still near you? I got a lot of things done with my son in the ergo carrier. I too had a hard time trying to find a safe seat for him and never really had anything last for too long. He is now 13 months and I can still use the ergo for walks with the dogs, etc. The bjorn was really uncomfortable for me, but some really like it. Haden seemed much happier when he was in contact with me in those early months and is now a very happy independent little guy. Good luck!

Hi there.

The best thing for your little one to be doing is lying down--belly or back--on a blanket (or even "baby gym") with a couple of toys within reach. Babies at this age just need to practice moving their little limbs and bodies. Rolling, pushing, grabbing--this is her work and how she will learn to sit up, crawl and eventually walk. I say you don't need anything else. Let her discover the way her body works!

When my boys were that little I put them in the excersaucer and supported them with a rolled up towel around their bellies to keep them from slumping over. I know it's not ideal, but it will allow you enough time to get a little work done! Plus, you won't have to spend more money on something that will only be used for a month or two.

I have an 8 month old who seems to only be happy when I'm holding her. I have to rotate her, from swing, to floor gym, to bumbo (but be warned they do tip out of these, although the bebe pod may work a little better) to her exersaucer or walker, to johnny jumper, or high chair. Most of these have a tray and I have suction cup toys I also rotate. When she's just not having any of that, I'll wear her on my back in my Ergo carrier. When all else fails, I remind myself she'll only be this little for such a short time and try not to make myself crazy by how little housework or work
I've gotten done, after all I'm doing the most important thing in the world, nurturing a little person :)

I'd get the exersaucer out of storage or find another at a garage sale. She's not going to tip over in that. She may very well tip over in the seat you found on Amazon. You'll need to check the age range, but I'd bet she'd already too old for it or soon will be. Also, her weight is more important that the actual age range as she may be more advanced that the "typical" 5 month old.

1 / 3