Daughter Humping the Floor

How do I get her to stop? She has done it for about a year. Less now than it was. She is 3.5 and usually does it when she is bored or tired. She really goes at it and we really want her to stop, or at least do it in in private.

I don't want to yell. Don't want her to feel she is bad or wrong in any way. I just want her to quit doing it out in the livingroom or whatever.

We have tried telling her that is not something people do in front of others, and she should go to her room and do it. We have simply asked her to stop, have said she could (bribe)either go to bed now if she kept doing that, or could watch a little more tv before bed if she didnt.

Any ideas on how to get her to cut it out without damaging her little psychie? (sp?)

My kids did that too, I also got embarrest by it and still do with my 3year old. Her legs just don't want to stop moving. She's jumping but since her head and arms are on the ground, it looks like she's humping. What I did was I would tickle her, that would tire her out the rest of the way. A much happier & fun way to think of it.

If, as you said. it is most often when she is bored or tired it might be more about sensory input than sexual exploration. When our systems get tired we often look for calmming repeative movement. Deep pressure and vibration can help to calm the nervous system instead. If you think she is tired try cuddles, hugs, and deep pressure massage. If you think its boredom try a toy like a bumble ball for vibration or give her a piece of very hard gum to chew on for deep pressure. You are right not to make her feel bad just try some redirection with a sensory component.

Someone posted the same question regarding her 6 yr old and this is part of my response to her:

Don't freak out - it is not totally uncommon. Explain about privacy and that she can only do this in privacy and that those are HER private parts and NO ONE else is allowed to touch them. I would probably say "Do you need some alone time in your room?" when she does it.

This is called "self-stimulation" and kids who self-stim often masturbate, or rock back and forth, often before sleep, etc. It is similar to thumb sucking and they get comfort and calming from that, especially when they are alone. It may be your daughter's way of physically comforting herself and releasing stress/tension. Just like some kids get to the point that they can't go to sleep without rocking, some kids begin to need/depend on this release. It is also very common in neglected or abused kids, especially in orphanages. They don't get much physical contact or comfort and this is one way to create those comfort feelings. (not that I'm suggesting your daughter is neglected.)

You might try to give her some extra time and attention... rock with her if you can. She may be experiencing some extra stress or going through a needy period and needs some extra help in calming and comforting. Help her remember that you can comfort her and give her physical contact, she doesn't have to do it herself. :)

Hi A. V-

Most likely, your child is doing this for attention, since negative attention is better than no attention, right? So-as soon as the behavior begins, pick her up, put her in her naughty chair for 3-5 minutes, say very calmly, "We don't act like that." Be consistent, and be strong. She will tantrum. Her psyche is not being damaged. Do not allow the behavior for even 2 seconds! It is self-rewarding.

Make sure that she has adequate outside activities to entertain her. Make sure that she is not imitating any adult or other child's behavior. Find ways to give her positive attention.

You will be just fine, and so will she :-) Hope this helps, S.

Hi, Amy and Laura

I have been discussing this type of behavior with my pediatrician since my little girl was about a yr old. She claims that this is hormonal and to not call attention to it or make her feel embarrassed. She mentioned that when she begins to do this to speak to her calmly and let her know that that this should be done in private and in her room. I can honestly tell you that this has happened very randomly in the last year. She is 4.5 now. Don't worry , it isn't a major problem.

It sounds like it could be related to a possible yeast infection causing itching, or maybe she has a sensory issue and the stimulation goes hand in hand with that? There are many potential reasons.....

Here are some links with info:

http://www.drgreene.com/21_606.html

http://www.babycenter.in/toddler/development/socialemotio...

http://www.ehow.com/how_###-###-####_deal-toddler-masturb...

Best,

My daughter too did this and we actually talked to a counselor regarding it because it seemed excessive.It always seemed when she was tired or bored like when she was watching TV. They said the same thing...tell her she needs to do it in her room or in private and just stick with that. As they said above, it is completely normal.

I have read that it is usually a nervous habit. The book suggest to spend some more time cuddling with the child or distracting them with a game or project. Hang in there. It is normal

1 / 3