Daughter Have a Hard Time Breathing

Hi moms out there, I am woundering if anyone out there can help me? May daughter is 12mos old and has a nasty cold where she cannot breath to well. You can she her trying to breath she the skin by her ribs keep pulling in, and me and my husband had her up the ER at 3am this moring and they did a test for RSV, the ful and Phnomina and they all came back neg. Which is a good thing but I am still uneasy about the way she is breathing. My husband says that I am overreacting and she will be fine just to keep doing the nebs. Does anyway have anyother sugg on how I can make her more comfortabel and her breathing to improve? Anything! I am so worried right now. I just don't want anything to happen to my little girl. Thanks

A.~
My daughter had issues with breathing since she was born. She was constantly congested, breathing issues and dark circles under her eyes indicating she wasn't sleeping well. My doc suggested an pediatric allergist to rule out any allergies. Since he found no allergies, he, the allergist, suggested an x-ray of adenoids and a trip to the ENT. Finally, we found that it was her adenoids!!! They were so enlarged it was restricting her breathing. We had the adenoids removed and tubes put in her ears. I can happily say it's been 3.5 years since then and she hasn't had anymore breathing problems and has had maybe 2 "colds' since then.

I know that sounds aggressive, but it worked for us even when the breathing treatments, antibiotics, steam showers and all else failed.

Good Luck! T.

A.:
I just went through this, and know its VERY hard. In addition to her breathing problems,is her nose clogged up? If so, I finally found a great way to unclog a baby's nose. I use a Nosefrida (www.nosefrida.com) and a BeBe Sounds electronic nose aspirator. I have my method down pat, and it usually takes less than a minute to unclog her nose. Another good way to get out the mucous is that once you have a "strand" of it out, take a q-tip and place it on it, and "roll" the mucous out. It works! Good luck, email me if you have any more questions. :)

A.:

My kids have always had breathing difficulties with colds and you're right...it is terrifying! I use a cool mist humidifier on high, advil for inflamation, and vick's vapo rup cream (for children) to open up the airways.
We were just in the ER with my 5 year old because he was having such a hard time breathing. They ended up putting him on prednisone for the inflamation around the windpipe. What I CAN tell you is when possible, take her directly to the pediatrician...they are usually more aggressive with treatment than an ER and they know what they are doing with little ones!! Of course in the middle of the night you have to do what you have to do!!

Vicks on her chest and prop her on a pillow so she is practically sitting up when she is sleeping if you don't want to put vicks on her chest they have plug ins that you can put in her room.

Have you tried suctioning out her nose with one of those bulbs? That usually helps. Also, are you breastfeeding? Breastmilk does wonders to clear up runny noses - go ahead and squirt a little up her nose. Even if you have some frozen from when you were breastfeeding - that will work too - just warm it up first. Here is an article that explains other uses for breastmilk: <http://www.freedompondmoonworks.com/pb/wp_2e517814.html&gt;

A Mother's Boutique
Breastfeeding Clothing, Nursing Bras, Breast Pumps, Slings and Accessories
MamaSource Members will receive 10% off of their first order - just mention promo code "MamaSource"
http://www.mothersboutique.com

My daughter is 12yrs.old.She was born premature,and has a lung problem.We see a pulmanary doctor at 1 of the childrens hospitals in our area.We have spent many of nights in the hospital,in patient and in the ER.With no clue as to what was happening.Everything looked good.Till we hooked up with the specialist.Then finally some answers.So I know what you are going through.
What works with us is running a humidifier.A cool mist one. Alot of the time escpecially in the winter with the heat on the air is to dry.Or try the other humidifier with some Vicks in it.See if that helps.
Good luck!!!
G.

My ped recommended the vapor plug ins. I use the Pedicare brand and use them at night and during naps. The neb treatments always help and do them every 3 -4 hours. Also I was told to either take them outside for 15 minutes (as long as it's cold) the cold air helps open the airways &/OR turn the shower on HOT and the sink water on HOT and after the bathroom steams up take her in the bathroom and sit in the steam for 15 minutes. Best of Luck. It can be very scary when this happens. My 2 1/2 & 1 yr old are going through this now.

Hi A. ~ keep doing the neb treatment and like someone else suggested run the hot water in the shower. You can also bundle her up and take her outside or in front of the freezer! Keep a close eye on her breathing, if she is breathing from her belly...ER immediately!! That means she's not getting enough oxygen and she's trying to work really hard to get what she needs. Keeping your family in our prayers ~ J.

I would keep doing the nebs, every 3-4 hours, unless they told you to do them even closer together. Do they have her on a steroid? Also you can get a humidifier and put that in her room while she sleeps, they even have a liquid vicks that you can pour in the water of the humidifer and that works well.

1 / 3