Daughter Has Stomach Bug

i believe my daughter has the stomach bug. she has been throwing up most of the night i am afraid that she is going to get dehydrated. i have tried to give her jello and sprite but she just throws it back up. what should i give her?

My granddaughter has had the same the doctors say that it is viral. Try giving her popsicles and pedialyte (store brand works too). I hope that this helps.

Soda drinks, popsicles and jello all have sugar in them which isn't great for a kid anyway, but it really won't help a sick child at all. My girl is 5 and her doctor always says give her Pedialyte, you can get the store brand it's cheaper. They make it in popsicles as well.
Hope she feels better real soon.

You can try some mint tea it usually settles the stomach. You'll need to buy some mint in the spices section of the store, then take a teaspoon of the mint leaves to a cup of water, bring it to a boil then drain it with a fine strainer. After that you can add a teaspoon of sugar to the cup of tea and a couple of ice cubes then have her sip on it. Also try just some ice chips sometimes it's easier to just suck on the ice rather then drink anything. Hope this helps you some!

A.

The most important thing is to keep liquids in her. Make sure she doesn't drink too much too fast or it will definitely come right back out. Pedialyte (not sure if it is spelled right) or something like that would be good too. My kids prefer the Gerber brand. Good luck.

Hope she feels better real soon.

My girls recently had the nasty bug that was going around. Our doctor said just to let them sleep if they could and make them as comfortable as possible. Dont worry so much about her not being able to keep anything down. A good rule of thumb is to let her watch t.v and give her a teaspoon of something to drink (whatever she likes) each commercial break. If she's still not able to keep anything down, consider giving your doc a call to get something to help her stop throwing up and to rest.

When my son had Rotavirus last year, the ER doc told us to start with a tablespoon of fluid every 15 minutes. When she's kept it down for 1 hour, you can increase the amounts gradually. If at any point she throws it back up, start the whole process over. Yes, it's a pain-in-the-neck, but even if she can keep it down for a little while, her body will absorb enough of the fluid that she won't be too dehydrated. They also suggested Gatorade or flat sprite (my son hates Pedialyte) but make sure you water it down because they have too much sugar, which could make her throw it back up. We've used this method anytime my son gets a tummy bug and (knock on wood!) haven't had to go to the ER since. Hope she feels better soon and you both can get some rest!

When I was pregnant and caught the flu a few years back I couldn't hold anything down for 3 days. I went to the ER and my husband bought me an orange juice that just happened to still be frozen. I nibbled at the ice and after a little while I felt better. I mentioned it to the doctor because I felt ridiculous sitting there and feeling ok. He told me that the ice somehow calms the stomach. All he did for me that day was give me an IV because I was dehydrated. Now I keep those ice pops in my freezer all year. Whenever one of my kids can't hold anything down that is the first thing I give them. It works every time.

Does she have the runs as well? It's possible she may have a virus that is going around. Most viruses pass in 24 to 48 hours. I would try to give her some pedialyte or even a store brand. If it isn't a virus it may even be a food borne illness. I would look at the foods she may have eaten. Food poisoning has a lot of the same symtoms. Does she have a fever too? Give her small amounts of liquid in 10 minute intervals. Even something as small as a sip of water. If she continues to throw up I would think about taking her in to see the pediatrition. Dehydration in children can happen very fast especially if they have very wet bowels and they are vommiting. I feel bad for the poor thing. It happens though and it's just something that has to run its course.

Just try to keep her hydrated with water or even milk if she will take sips. My daughter went through this and as a matter of fact, almost all of my neighbors children passed it along.

Unfortunately I had to learn about it the hard way and my daughter ended up having to go to the emergency room. She's fine now but like I said, dehydration can happen very fast. Little sips in intervals. Signs to look for in dehydration are easily noticed if it gets bad. If she starts to refuse liquids, if she does not have any moisture in her skin or stops urinating. Fatigue.

If you sense anything I'd go with your gut instinct. You are her mother and you will know in your heart that something is wrong. Take her in to the dr. if you feel it needs to be done. And for yourself, take it easy and try to rest. You are probably so worried right now that you are stressed. Try to relax and just be the best mom you can. Sounds like you are a good mother already.

My best to you and blessings that your little one gets well soon.

try some chicken broth luke warm... if she throws that up then put some saltines in a little broth and let her eat them. If it continues for more than 8 hrs. I highly recommend taking her to the doctor or ER. Also watch the sodium intake. To much will dehdyrate her more. Gatarade has alot of sodium in it so try flat sprite or pedilite.

1 / 3