Daughter Has Grey Whites in Her Eyes.

Hello Mom's I am wondering if any of you have seen or experienced the following. My 7 month old daughter ( who is wonderfully healthy and happy) has grey eyes. the pupil is blue then there is a white ring around the pupil then is she looks left or right you can see grey where the whites should still be white. she can see and her eyes do not bother her. her 6 month check up was fine but my friend pointed out the grey area just the other day. is this something I should make an appointment for. have any of you great moms out there ever seen this?? any advice would be great Thanks in advance. Just wanted to add that she is not mixed race we are both caucasion our families come from Austria. and the gray part is not splotches it is everything outside of the circle of white that is around the isris. I plan to call the doctor on monday. i was just hoping someone out there had seen this. Thanks

Go to an optometrist! There is a free program for babies under a year called InfantSee. I did this with my son and it was soooo easy. Go to the following link to find a doctor that participates in the program, then call and make an appointment. Seriously, it's a public health service program that is completely free! http://www.infantsee.org/

I would definitely see your pediatrician, or better yet, a pediatric optometrist. There might be nothing wrong, but it's much better to be safe than sorry. We know one little girl that had a cataract and had to have her lens removed around 6-months in age (she has to wear an artificial lens - like a contact). It could be something worse, but like I said, better safe than sorry. :-)

I would check out webmd.com!

My daughter is the same and her doctor has never been concerned about it. If they're yellow, that can be an indicator of jaundice, but grey seems to be normal.

Of course talk with your pediatrician but your daughter may have blue sclera. My daughter was born with it and it has not an issue, health wise. Our pediatrician said it's common with babies who may have had trauma during delivery, stuck in the birth canal, etc. Our daughter didn't have any issues at birth but still has the blue sclera. Talk with your doctor and go from there.

hi
this happens in children, it is common, it means that they are dehydrated

Hello A.,
If I ever have any physical concerns about my childrens health, I most definitely will see a professional to seek advice and resolution. Thats just one less thing you should have to stress about besides all the other millions of things us mothers do. Good Luck!

is the whole are where it is supposed to be white grey or is it just a grey spot? My daughter has this little grey spot that I noticed and we had a doctor look at it. Hers was determined to be a blood vessel that just slightly came above the surface of her eyeball and went back into her eyeball (like it wove in and out) so not a threat. There are other reasons for the grey spots but this one is probably the most common. It is better to have a good eye doctor (ideally a opthamologist) look at it so their trained eye can tell you for sure if it is the blood vessel thing or some other issue. You'll also feel better knowing you at least rule something out.

I've seen that before, in three out of my four children. They have a genetic disorder called osteogenesis imperfecta (my husband also has the blue-tinged sclera). OI is also sometimes called brittle bone disease, and it is essentially a connective tissue disorder (hence all the broken bones). I'm not saying your daughter has OI, as it's pretty rare especially without a family history of it. I just wanted to let you know that I've seen discolored sclera before, and it hasn't affected any of my children's vision. Good luck discovering what's going on!

I would go see a Pediatric Ophthalmologist. (Not an optometrist)

They're medical doctors who then continue on to train in Opthalmology, like surgeons, or OB's, or etc. etc. etc.

Children's Hosp should be able to give you a good referral.

Hi A. - I don't know if your daughter is mixed race, but if she is then that is very common. My son is 1/2 white (me) and 1/2 Mexican (my husband) and he has grey "splothches" in the whites of his eyes. I asked the eye doctor about it (my son has reading glasses) and she said that it was very common in children of mixed race. My older son has the "splotches" and my younger one doesn't, so it might just be "one of those things".
However, if you are still worried, I would talk to his doctor, or an eye doctor.