Daughter Has Bad Breath

My 12 year old daughter has bad breath. We took her to the dentist and her teeth are fine. We took her to the doctor and he put her on antibiotics in case it was a throat infection but she still has bad breath. It doesn't smell like someone with stomach problems or sweet smelling like a diabetic. It is just an unusual smell that is not pleasent. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem.

Everyone's response was such a big help to us. Thank you to all who wrote. We finally figured out she has tonsil stones. Once we picked those off her tonsils her breath was wonderful! Now we just need to see how to prevent those from forming again. Thanks so much to everyone who responded!!

That is so interesting because I am dealing with that with my 15 year old daughter. She has been using a retainer on her teeth for about 3 years now since having braces and I just assumed it was from the retainer just getting old and icky but we too went to the dentist and she had no cavities or other problems with her teeth, he said that some people are prone to bad breath and it's something going on with the throat (not an infection) and that gargling with mouthwash should help so we just started that about a week ago so we'll see. Try that and see if it works for you. Good luck!

Hi Julie,

I don't have any good advice for you on this, however I did find some good information for you. I went to the WebMD website and there was a lot of useful information on bad breath and the possible causes and treatments. I did see that the most common cause was dry mouth/lack of saliva production in the mouth. So basically, go to WebMD and search for "bad breath" and that is where you will find all of the information that I did. On a side note, it is possible that it could be caused by an underlying disease. Like I said, there is a lot of useful information.

I was also going to suggest "tonsil rocks". I think that the name of this is tonsiloliths (not sure if this is the correct spelling). It is sometimes accompanied by a sore throat and ear pain on the same side. However, this was explained to me a little differently by my doctor. It isn't food stuck in the tonsils like another member suggested, but rather a drainage problem. Naturally, fluids from the inner ear drain through a tube and down the back of the throat. However, sometimes there is a blockage in this tube and these fluids can solidify and get lodged in the tonsils, causing "rocks". The best thing to do is to check every day/night and try to remove them--we have found that a very large bobby pin works best; sometimes you can just push on the tissue surrounding the rocks and they will just pop out. This is probably too much information, especially if this isn't the cause! Good luck!

Julie,
I had a 2 daughters with the same problem about the same age one time. At the time we did all the things that normal parents would do, such as routine brushing of teeth, eating less sweet things, controlling diet, going to the dentist, seeing a physician that all that you have to go through process of illimination. We went to specialist for ears nose throat and found that the bad breath problem was coming from bad tonsils and adnoids. Both of my daughters had them removed and the problem was cured. So maybe you need to suggest to the doctor. We have found that during this episode of bad breath, that docotors do not do removal of tonsils by surgery unless the child has had 6-8 episodes of throat infections or ear infections. If your child has had her tonsils removed, I really would not know the answer other than not good oral hygiene. Best to contact a specialist and go from there. Good Luck. KM

Have you checked with an allergist? My 6 yo was having that problem and as it turned out he has allergies and the bad breath was happening when he was having sinus drainage.

Hi! I have 3 boys 2,4,and 13. I study natural healing. It sounds like your daughter has an imbalance in her body. In this case it will cause more problems to take an antibiotic. I think docters way over prescribe antibiotics! Did she even have a sore throat? The best thing to do is to get her on probiotics,this will replace the good flora in her body. Yogert is not a good substitute for this because of the sugar and processing of it. You need to get the live multidophilis. This is something you will have to get at a health food store. This is actually good for every one to take at all times. This imbalance in the body is from white flours , refined sugars and antibiotics. I would also get a tongue scraper,this will help with the bacteria. My 13 year old son has the same problem and gets athletes foot quite a bit. Its hard when they get this age and you cant always control what they eat all the time. Hope this helps,if you have any questions or need any further advise feel free to e-mail me. She can also mouth wash with water and hydrogen peroxide in it,just dont let her swallow it!

I agree with the previous response to keep her hydrated. But also, try flossing. My son had bad breath,too. I flossed and he had food stuck in between his teeth. (we brush twice daily, too) I also think it knocked the plaque loose so I could brush the bacteria away better. Hope this helps.

I have two suggestions for you that will make a difference.

1. Get her on a probiotic. This will help to detoxify and get her system on a regular "flush".

2. Use a quality bacteria killing dental system.

3. Detoxify your home.

I recommend highly the products from Melaleuca. The Melaleuca oil is a pharmacy grade tea tree oil that kills bacteria (including strep throat). Their dental line has the powerful oil in it!! Everytime you brush, gargle, floss and use the breath spray, you are KILLING bacteria. Bacteria smells!

I think this would help to fight the bad breath from the top (mouth) and the bottom (digestive tract).

Can I tell you many more wonderful things about the company? Call or email me. I am not a distributor, but I like to help families because this company help me and my family by using safer products that are less expensive and work way better! Yes they are natural and have been around for over 22 years.

###-###-####

My dentist told me that most breath problems are from the not from the mouth, but bacteria in the throat/stomach. He recommended taking Acidophilus tablets. They are supposed to help restore the balance of bacteria. I believe you could find it in one of those nutritional/vitamin stores you seen in the malls. Hope this helps! Here is a testimony from someone else I found on a website...

Ingredients: acidophilus and bifidus (probiotic)
Instructions: After looking on this site for a remedy for bad breath, I came across a suggestion to try to "florabalance". Florabalance isn't
sold in my area but I was able to try acidophilus and bifidus (probiotic) and it worked. For years my dentist couldn't find the cause of my
bad breath because I have excellent oral hygiene. This problem has plagued me all my life and has been so embarrassing. I was so happy to come across this probiotics that restores and maintains intestinal flora. Clearly my problem wasn't oral hygiene it was something
internal--intestinal. I was having problems with digestion. I prayed to God for as long as I can remember for help with this problem and after 25 years I feel so free!! I really hope this works for someone else.

1 / 3